• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Toy

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Nice little gun. I only have the .22lr cylinder for it though. I want the .22 mag as well, but Numrich is sold out right now...

3251656185_20c07a9f66.jpg

Mad Pick

imported post

Nice! There's just something appealing about 22s, isn't there? :)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Those old H&R revolvers are fun, but they ain't toys!
;)
Heh.

This thing had a HORRIBLE DA pull, worse than a Nagant revolver even! I cut two coils off the mainspring and improved it, but it won't always strike hard enough on DA to set off a round, but will consistently do so on SA. Plus the inside of the frame is rough as a cob, and I haven't even checked out the trigger and sear yet.

I think a trigger job is in order. Probably will attempt it myself, if I screw it up, parts are easy enough to come by for this gun.

Dave Workman

imported post

No spare parts necessary. The H&R is a rather simple mechanism, but they were all fairly rough.

Pull the trigger and stone it slightly, just enough to smooth off the rough machining. You may want to do this with a very fine stone and lots of oil. Then try it that way.

If more smoothing is necessary, repeat.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
No spare parts necessary. The H&R is a rather simple mechanism, but they were all fairly rough.

Pull the trigger and stone it slightly, just enough to smooth off the rough machining. You may want to do this with a very fine stone and lots of oil. Then try it that way.

If more smoothing is necessary, repeat.
The guy I bought this gun from had two, one that had been smoothed, and this one. I shot both, so could feel the difference between a worked over gun, and this one.

I still cant' decide if I screwed up cutting two coils off the mainspring or not. Perhaps after a smoothing job things will function 100% on DA. Of course I understand this is primarily meant to be a SA gun, and that is what I want it for, but since the DA capability is there, I want it to be a lot easier than it originally was.

Dave Workman

imported post

You screwed up cutting the coils. You'll need an original spring.

Pull the guts, spray everything with gunk remover and degreaser. Then examine all parts closely for rough spots, and lightly stone them down.