• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Were My Rights Violated?

Sheriff

Jizzzle

imported post

just from personal experience. I had my deposition yesterday for my case. the lawyer for the defense had a print out of every post i've ever made on the internet. he grilled me pretty good on each and every post i've made that he thought sounded like something that he could use. :)

Tucker6900

imported post

Sounds to me like theyll be tucking their tails by the time this one is through. Sorry about your friend. Fight em until the end.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Sounds like to me..

Illegal police order to leave.

Illegal removal of Pats sidearm.

Therefore illegal arrest, and he had every right to resist an illegal arrest.

Why can't cops just leave people alone.

If anyone saved the original post I would like to read it. Please PM it to me.

LaVere

imported post

That is unbelievable in many respects. Not being able to record from a safe distance that is total BS. And to have his gun taken away for no reason.

Win this one for the Gipper.

Go for the money.
Go for written public apology.
Go for time off with out pay.
Go for reeducation of the parties involved.
Go for 80 hours of public non police service.

mastiff69

imported post

My personal opinion is that the Jackson police should Clean up there own house before they bother with others ....

Those that have not sinned, cast the first stone. Ps don't throw stones in a glass police house, it may fall down around you:idea:

Sheriff

imported post

LaVere wrote:
That is unbelievable in many respects. Not being able to record from a safe distance that is total BS.
Trust me, cops don't like video cameras at any time. Period! :D

I would venture to guess that video has caused more cops to be fired

in the last 5 years than everything else combined for the previous 25 years.

Patrick

imported post

I talked to my corporate attorney today and he is going to refer me to a good civil attorney that he knows. Should be interesting. I'll keep you posted.

Patrick

lapeer20m

imported post

my understanding is that it is legal to record video/audio in any public place where a person does not have a reasonable right to privacy. If you are on a public street, it is perfectly legal to video tape police or anybody else doing their job. It is legal for businesses to set up video in their parking lots and inside the stores, as well as for the government to set up cameras at intersections and on roadways.

is it legal to resist an illegal arrest???

lapeer20m

imported post

did a little more research, but can't find a link to the actual case of people v krum, but this is a relevant portion of the opinion:

Code:
"one may use  such reasonable force as is necessary to prevent  an illegal attachment and to resist an illegal  arrest." People vKrum, 374 Mich 356, 361; 132 NW2d  69
edited to remove html tags

Patrick

imported post

I forwarded this information to my defense attorney. I finally have a trial date scheduled. It will be a two day trial starting on December 16th and ending on December 17th. The 17th is the one year anniversary of my best friend's death.

Patrick

Patrick

imported post

Absolutely. The more the merrier. I hope we fill the courtroom with supporters because this is truly about everyone's constitutional rights.

Patrick

Wangmuf

imported post

Patrick wrote:
I forwarded this information to my defense attorney. I finally have a trial date scheduled. It will be a two day trial starting on December 16th and ending on December 17th. The 17th is the one year anniversary of my best friend's death.

Patrick

10 months from your first post about this to going to trial does not sound like a "fair and speedy trial" to me......

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Until the middle Sixties the Sixth Amendment was not incorporated against the several states. Even now the states are free to define speedy trial requirements.

I am familiar with a meth-lab case in SC that was turned over to the state for its more 'liberal' speedy trial requirements and in which the property owner has not yet gone to trial that I know.