• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through OR

Cougar125

imported post

Ok, here in the near future I will be moving to San Diego. I was wondering what the law says about Loaded OC for Oregon.

I've read a couple threads that say certain cities only CPL holders are allowed to carry loaded, which is fine. I'll just avoid those places.

I'll be traveling down I-5. Thanks guys.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Cougar125 wrote:
Ok, here in the near future I will be moving to San Diego. I was wondering what the law says about Loaded OC for Oregon.

I've read a couple threads that say certain cities only CPL holders are allowed to carry loaded, which is fine. I'll just avoid those places.

Good luck avoiding Portland if you're traveling via I-5 ;)

I just unloaded the gun before I hit Portland (No bullets in the magazine either!)

LooterShooter

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

Good luck avoiding Portland if you're traveling via I-5 ;)

I just unloaded the gun before I hit Portland (No bullets in the magazine either!)
Is it just PDX city limits one needs to be careful? Is OC legal ..say in Bend?

adamsesq

imported post

See the first (and only) stickied thead in the Oregon section for a list of communities that address loaded open carry. Open carry is always legal in Oregon, it's just whether or not you can do it loaded, and what loaded means that varies. Unless of course you have a permit.

-adamsesq

Cougar125

imported post

Ok. So far as I can tell, Portland is the only city that has a problem with it. I'll just get gas before I go through there then and just go to the next town.

adamsesq

imported post

Cougar125 wrote:
Ok. So far as I can tell, Portland is the only city that has a problem with it. I'll just get gas before I go through there then and just go to the next town.

I'd suggest you look at the sticky again: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/923.html

Assuming you stay on I5 you will be going through at least Salem if not potentially Tigard as well. You might also be touching on Beaverton but I don't think so.

-adamsesq

Cougar125

imported post

Yeah...I didn't check mapquest...trying to go off memory of whats along I-5.

Ok...just double checking to make sure I'm ok...

Loaded open carry in a open belt holster [166.250 (3)] is legal.

I can carry loaded in a vehicleso long the pistol is in plain view (i.e. not concealed per [166.250 (1a)]??

Seems Portland and Tigard neuter OC by putting on loaded restrictions. No big. Salem and Bearton wouldn't pull up for me.

SteveInAshand

imported post

I lived in San Diego from 79 to 01.
If you want to knowe were the good cigars, mexican food, shooting rangees and clubs, surf, quiet beaches, attractions, salt & fresh water fishing , motorcycle and bike riding places are and MORE then let me know.

PS Listen to the Roger Hedgcock show on KOGO AM 600 .
San Diego is reasonabley conservative because of the high military presence.

Orygunner

imported post

Cougar, I Am Not A Lawyer, but I feel I have a pretty good understanding of Oregon law.

The facts are:

LOADED OC is illegal in Salem and Portland without anOregon CHL. If you're travelling down I-5, I believe those are the only cities you need be concerned with Tigard appears to be right next to I-5, but I can't easily find its city limits online Beaverton appears to be further west.

Supposedly a court just ruled that inside your car isn't private property when it's on public property, so supposedly even if you don't get out of your car, you could still be breaking the law if you're carrying loaded in your car.

If it were me, and I wanted to be a good law-abiding citizen, I would probably leave the magazine in my glove compartment through portland, and drop it back in after Salem.

My general opinion, however, is that it's only illegal if you get caught :). I firmly believe in the saying, "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and balance my decisions on that.I balance my chances of getting caught to the chances of needing my firearm, andI also don't believe in incriminating myself by answering a LEO's questions ;)

Once you hit California, you're on your own :uhoh:. I don't bother with learning their laws because I never intend on setting foot in that state again if at all possible.

...Orygunner...

adamsesq

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
If it were me, and I wanted to be a good law-abiding citizen, I would probably leave the magazine in my glove compartment through portland, and drop it back in after Salem.

...Orygunner...

You do realize that, in Portland, you would no longer be a "good law abiding citizen" doing what you just suggested don't you? In Portland you still have a "loaded weapon" if you have a magazine that has rounds in it in the glove compartment. You have to unload the rounds from the magazine as well as remove the magazine from the weapon.

I have not seen Salem's nor Tigard's code so I can't comment on them.

And no Cougar, you cannot carry a loaded weapon in plain view purely based on 166.250. In spite of 166.250, 166.173 gives Cities the authority to further restrict your carrying of loaded weapons. I thought that was what this thread was about?

-adamsesq

Cougar125

imported post

No...its about me driving through, having to stop for gas & food, and the legality of being armed while doing so.

adamsesq

imported post

Cougar125 wrote:
No...its about me driving through, having to stop for gas & food, and the legality of being armed while doing so.

Which is exactly what I tried to say this thread was about. Trying to keep you legal. It looks like Salem and Portland are the ones you need to worry about.

-adamsesq

Orygunner

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...

You do realize that, in Portland, you would no longer be a "good law abiding citizen" doing what you just suggested don't you? In Portland you still have a "loaded weapon" if you have a magazine that has rounds in it in the glove compartment. You have to unload the rounds from the magazine as well as remove the magazine from the weapon.

I have not seen Salem's nor Tigard's code so I can't comment on them.

And no Cougar, you cannot carry a loaded weapon in plain view purely based on 166.250. In spite of 166.250, 166.173 gives Cities the authority to further restrict your carrying of loaded weapons. I thought that was what this thread was about?

-adamsesq

Well, there's as good of a reason NOT to listen to people on the internet if I ever saw one. :) Looks like I was wrong....

Portland City Code:
14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place. - Printable Version
A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.

B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.
I'm assuming that "possess" includes being in a locked glovebox?

What if someone else is possessing your loaded magazine for you?

Wait... what does recklessly mean?

Cripes what a retarded law. I'm sure glad criminals obey it, otherwise there might be murders in portland.

...Orygunner...

jmar254

imported post

"recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm."

DUHHHHH, I did NOT recklessly fail to remove all the ammunition from the firearm, Ididn't do it because it's hard to protect myself from the true bad guys who aren't following your STUPID ##(*#(*$& laws with an unloaded gun.

PS I really hope everyone in Oregon calls and writes there Senators and Reps. regarding HB 2463. I sure would like to come back there some day.