Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Pre-bill Push for Texas Open Carry Petition Needs YOU!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Open Carriers Across America:

Representative Riddle (R – Houston) will soon introduce historic legislation to restore the right to open carry handguns in Texas. But that does not mean the fight is over – it’s just beginning. That’s why we need to drive up the signature count on the petition for Texas at http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.html

And all Americans can help just like in 1836 when volunteers came from many states to help Texas fight and ultimately defeat an invading Mexican Army.

So if you known anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in Texas, now is the time to contact them and urge them to sign the open carry petition for Texas at http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.html

The petition is now at over 54,000 signatures but we need to drive that signature count well North of 55,000 in the coming days to send a clear signal to Austin that open carry needs to be passed this year.

And if you blog in Texas, or can spare a few moments to add this message and/or the petition link to Texas blogs, please do so immediately. And remind folks to use valid email addresses so that they can receive vital updates on legislative matters from the Texas Open Carry Working Group which is going to be a permanent and effective pro-gun force in Texas to be reckoned with this year and in the future!

Please act on this message today.

Sincerely,

Mike Stollenwerk/John Pierce
    Co-founders, OpenCarry.org

Ian McCarthy
    Chairman, Texas Open Carry Working Group

Post imported post

All,
    I contacted Rep. Riddle's office this afternoon. The legislation is still being investigated according to her assistant. Apparently they haven't heard too many voices, pro or con and this may die on the vine. We really need to call her office and voice our support! I told her that the naysayers arguments sounded the same as they did in 1995. Her office assistant was very friendly, so if you're nervous, just pick up the phone and lend your support! Her office number is (512) 463-0572. I have also reached out to the NRA and Gun Owners of America and requested they get involved as well. Shoot (no pun intended)... the more for OC in Texas, the better!

Post imported post

Called and talked to Gail in her office, they want support, let's give it to them!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I talked to Juan, he was very cordial. Just called and said I support it.

Join in guys, we need her to see we're on this. We need to flood her office with calls or else all the money we donated and spent on the Texas Campaign was for naught.

Post imported post

Everyone might want to take a look at the Capital even forum as well (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...358582#p358582). We're working on a lot of the same issues--getting the grassroots going!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Called, emailed, and faxed. Just to make sure!:celebrate

Post imported post

Evidentually it is going to take a lot of money to get this through-I'm not feeling good about this post-It was good though. There was23 men from Tennessee the rest of the 185 defenders came from various places, butthat was then and now it seems that we will have to "buy" this Right back if we can. But this was at "THE ALAMO", Sam Houston led the decisive blow later, given the time by the men of THE ALAMO and the loss of their lives.

Post imported post

I hope both bills pass in Tx. With that being said how many years did it take to pass concealed carry? I certainly would not want to be pessimistic about your chances, but sometimes it takes time to pass these bills. But I do hope you guys get your rights restored.

Post imported post

Well, I just sent off my letters and faxes to Senator Troy Fraser, Rep. Susan King, and Governor Perry. I am definitely looking forward to their reply :-)

Post imported post

I hope the letters and faxes work as well. I've found that when you email them you get the same canned response--which means they probably aren't reading the email. We can't let up on the issue!

Post imported post

Call, call, call, they can't ignore the phones, the more frequent the calls, the less time they have to concentrate on anything else. P.S. don't forget to mention Campus Carry.
    We have to do all we can for all of our causes.

Post imported post

Rep. Riddle specifically mentioned there was some confusion about the campus carry and open carry groups. If you're going to mention campus carry (and I'm all for it too), be sure to tell them why. It will help our representatives understand that we know what we're talking about, and it will educate them on the issues as well.

Post imported post

AustinTacticalFirearms wrote:
    Rep. Riddle specifically mentioned there was some confusion about the campus carry and open carry groups.
    Right - keep is clean and stragiht forward - ask her and YOUR rep/sen to INTRODUCE the open cary bill.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

The number above is her Capitol office.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist150/riddle.php

That's all her contact info.

I'm a little surprised at what I'm reading her. There was finally rumor that an unnamed Legislator would be sponsoring the bill, and it seemed implied that a draft was being penned, but from the comments from those who have called her office, it seems it's not something her office is really familiar with.

With the petition and all the activity, billboards as discussed here, radio etc., I would have thought there would have been someone that was actively working to introduce something this session.

I might be missing something so pardon me if I am. At the legislator level, what support and/or activity is or has taken place?

Post imported post

Some of us went to the capitol on the first day of the legislative session. During that morning, flyers were passed out to the congressional staff and we'd been able to talk to them about OC. Rep. Riddle said she supported the idea and would draft legislation. A couple weeks later we called her office and she stated it was in legal review. A week or so later, I called and was told there wasn't a lot of support pro or con (which I mentioned before in this post). That's where we stand now. I wouldn't count on any representative to write a bill unless all 50k people call (or harass if you prefer) them.

Remember, it's pretty much a popularity contest. If the support is popular, something will get drafted. The only way they know it's popular is if we call.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Some of us went to the capitol on the first day of the legislative session. During that morning, flyers were passed out to the congressional staff and we'd been able to talk to them about OC. Rep. Riddle said she supported the idea and would draft legislation. A couple weeks later we called her office and she stated it was in legal review. A week or so later, I called and was told there wasn't a lot of support pro or con (which I mentioned before in this post). That's where we stand now. I wouldn't count on any representative to write a bill unless all 50k people call (or harass if you prefer) them.

Remember, it's pretty much a popularity contest. If the support is popular, something will get drafted. The only way they know it's popular is if we call.
    Thanks for the update. That's the most detail I've seen/read yet.

It was just starting seem like a lot of work to lock and load but a round was never chambered..... so to speak.

Post imported post

JKTex,
    Ianmtx says he's printed out all 50k+ signers and is delivering three volumes of 3" binders to Rep. Riddle's office! Haven't heard an update on when he's doing it, but I'd expect soon! So, if you (and others in the forum) know people who support OC, now's the time to start calling her office!

...never chambered... I laughed out loud at that one.

Post imported post

...never chambered... I laughed out loud at that one.
    Kind of a good analogy - the magazine is loaded with ammunition (bill drafted by legislative services) and inserted into the well (bill sitting on Rep. Riddle's desk), but a rlound is not chambered (till its introduced).

Focus on spreading the word about the petition toget more signers and then to get people to contact THEIR reps and sens - link at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/17184.htmlworks for this.

And if you have not herd back from your reps and sens, hit 'em again!

Post imported post

The count is now at 55,026. This does makes one feel better-there for a while I thought that this was for not, but now, I feel much better.

Post imported post

I was just goin' to say: 55,029 Total Signatures!

Post imported post

Over 35,000 signatures since I signed on at the end of July, I truly hope Rep. Riddle doesn't let this sit on her desk too long, We need a strong voice, and how much more effective could that possibly be than to have it introduced by one of the fairer sex.
    My wife has carried now for the last two years, and she gets a much greater response to her carrying a concealed weapon than I ever have. Now we just have to get those guns out in the open to prevent the crimes that would happen if they were concealed.
    A sincere thank you to all involved, Ian, Mike, you two especially have made a HUGE difference, may God smile down on our cause, and grant his favor on our efforts.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Even though Rep. Riddle isn't my district, I've called her office and got a kind of wishy-washy response. Apparently she "isn't ready to take a stance" on this issue, and when I asked for them to call/mail/email/fax me any information when she *does* decide to take a stance on it, they "have no idea how long it will take until she *does* take a stance."

I've also called the local and capitol offices of Rep. Coleman (D) and Sen. Ellis (D) for my district and asked for a response to the letters I'd already sent them but not received a reply. The staffers didn't seem to know what OC was, so I take it they haven't received any calls about the issue. I believe I managed to impress them *somewhat*, as I was told they'd set up a meeting to discuss the issue. Maybe some folks from the 2A Dems / TX Democrat Gun Owner's Caucus can help out?
    http://a2dems.net/

-t

Post imported post

tico wrote:
    Even though Rep. Riddle isn't my district, I've called her office and got a kind of wishy-washy response. Apparently she "isn't ready to take a stance" on this issue, and when I asked for them to call/mail/email/fax me any information when she *does* decide to take a stance on it, they "have no idea how long it will take until she *does* take a stance."

I've also called the local and capitol offices of Rep. Coleman (D) and Sen. Ellis (D) for my district and asked for a response to the letters I'd already sent them but not received a reply. The staffers didn't seem to know what OC was, so I take it they haven't received any calls about the issue. I believe I managed to impress them *somewhat*, as I was told they'd set up a meeting to discuss the issue. Maybe some folks from the 2A Dems / TX Democrat Gun Owner's Caucus can help out?
    http://a2dems.net/

-t
    Did you not contact your rep and sen earlier? If so, they should know the deal.

It is extremely important that every person supporting OC in Texas contact THERI rep and sen. Repeatedly. Ask them to take a stand and intro the bill.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Mike wrote:

Did you not contact your rep and sen earlier? If so, they should know the deal.

It is extremely important that every person supporting OC in Texas contact THERI rep and sen. Repeatedly. Ask them to take a stand and intro the bill.
    Yes, I already sent emails and signed letters (mailed confirmation receipt requested) but had received no replies (except a boilerplate response from Gov. Perry), so I got on the phone today and called everyone.

Minutes ago an aid to Rep Coleman called me back and said that he'd spoken with him, and that his position was that while he *was* in favor of concealed carry rights, he would *not* support a bill for open carry. When I asked for his reasons, the aid told me that it was just his personal opinion, but that he would listen if enough of his constituents raised the issue.

(Not that this is related to OC, but I *separately* asked him to support Guzman's concealed carry on campus bill, and got the same response.)

Still no final response from Sen. Ellis.

Post imported post

Emailed everyone I know in the state and also made lots of phone calls. I also suggest calling gun shops, gunsmiths, pawn shops etc and see who is supporting it in your area. You can shop accordingly, remember you are spending YOUR money and support like-minded companies. Bonus would be if you can get a new supporter and it will spread from there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast