• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Final Pre-bill Push for Texas Open Carry Petition Needs YOU!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Open Carriers Across America:

Representative Riddle (R – Houston) will soon introduce historic legislation to restore the right to open carry handguns in Texas. But that does not mean the fight is over – it’s just beginning. That’s why we need to drive up the signature count on the petition for Texas at http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.html

And all Americans can help just like in 1836 when volunteers came from many states to help Texas fight and ultimately defeat an invading Mexican Army.

So if you known anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in Texas, now is the time to contact them and urge them to sign the open carry petition for Texas at http://www.petitiononline.com/texasoc/petition.html

The petition is now at over 54,000 signatures but we need to drive that signature count well North of 55,000 in the coming days to send a clear signal to Austin that open carry needs to be passed this year.

And if you blog in Texas, or can spare a few moments to add this message and/or the petition link to Texas blogs, please do so immediately. And remind folks to use valid email addresses so that they can receive vital updates on legislative matters from the Texas Open Carry Working Group which is going to be a permanent and effective pro-gun force in Texas to be reckoned with this year and in the future!

Please act on this message today.

Sincerely,

Mike Stollenwerk/John Pierce
Co-founders, OpenCarry.org

Ian McCarthy
Chairman, Texas Open Carry Working Group

AustinTacticalFirearms

imported post

All,
I contacted Rep. Riddle's office this afternoon. The legislation is still being investigated according to her assistant. Apparently they haven't heard too many voices, pro or con and this may die on the vine. We really need to call her office and voice our support! I told her that the naysayers arguments sounded the same as they did in 1995. Her office assistant was very friendly, so if you're nervous, just pick up the phone and lend your support! Her office number is (512) 463-0572. I have also reached out to the NRA and Gun Owners of America and requested they get involved as well. Shoot (no pun intended)... the more for OC in Texas, the better!

Tex

imported post

Called and talked to Gail in her office, they want support, let's give it to them!

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I talked to Juan, he was very cordial. Just called and said I support it.

Join in guys, we need her to see we're on this. We need to flood her office with calls or else all the money we donated and spent on the Texas Campaign was for naught.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Evidentually it is going to take a lot of money to get this through-I'm not feeling good about this post-It was good though. There was23 men from Tennessee the rest of the 185 defenders came from various places, butthat was then and now it seems that we will have to "buy" this Right back if we can.:banghead::banghead::banghead: But this was at "THE ALAMO", Sam Houston led the decisive blow later, given the time by the men of THE ALAMO and the loss of their lives.

tito887

imported post

I hope both bills pass in Tx. With that being said how many years did it take to pass concealed carry? I certainly would not want to be pessimistic about your chances, but sometimes it takes time to pass these bills. But I do hope you guys get your rights restored. ;)

txfirefighter

imported post

Well, I just sent off my letters and faxes to Senator Troy Fraser, Rep. Susan King, and Governor Perry. I am definitely looking forward to their reply :)

AustinTacticalFirearms

imported post

I hope the letters and faxes work as well. I've found that when you email them you get the same canned response--which means they probably aren't reading the email. We can't let up on the issue!

Tex

imported post

Call, call, call, they can't ignore the phones, the more frequent the calls, the less time they have to concentrate on anything else. P.S. don't forget to mention Campus Carry.
We have to do all we can for all of our causes.

AustinTacticalFirearms

imported post

Rep. Riddle specifically mentioned there was some confusion about the campus carry and open carry groups. If you're going to mention campus carry (and I'm all for it too), be sure to tell them why. It will help our representatives understand that we know what we're talking about, and it will educate them on the issues as well.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AustinTacticalFirearms wrote:
Rep. Riddle specifically mentioned there was some confusion about the campus carry and open carry groups.
Right - keep is clean and stragiht forward - ask her and YOUR rep/sen to INTRODUCE the open cary bill.

JKTex

Opt-Out Members
imported post

The number above is her Capitol office.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist150/riddle.php

That's all her contact info.

I'm a little surprised at what I'm reading her. There was finally rumor that an unnamed Legislator would be sponsoring the bill, and it seemed implied that a draft was being penned, but from the comments from those who have called her office, it seems it's not something her office is really familiar with.

With the petition and all the activity, billboards as discussed here, radio etc., I would have thought there would have been someone that was actively working to introduce something this session.

I might be missing something so pardon me if I am. At the legislator level, what support and/or activity is or has taken place?

AustinTacticalFirearms

imported post

Some of us went to the capitol on the first day of the legislative session. During that morning, flyers were passed out to the congressional staff and we'd been able to talk to them about OC. Rep. Riddle said she supported the idea and would draft legislation. A couple weeks later we called her office and she stated it was in legal review. A week or so later, I called and was told there wasn't a lot of support pro or con (which I mentioned before in this post). That's where we stand now. I wouldn't count on any representative to write a bill unless all 50k people call (or harass if you prefer) them.

Remember, it's pretty much a popularity contest. If the support is popular, something will get drafted. The only way they know it's popular is if we call. :banghead:

JKTex

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Some of us went to the capitol on the first day of the legislative session. During that morning, flyers were passed out to the congressional staff and we'd been able to talk to them about OC. Rep. Riddle said she supported the idea and would draft legislation. A couple weeks later we called her office and she stated it was in legal review. A week or so later, I called and was told there wasn't a lot of support pro or con (which I mentioned before in this post). That's where we stand now. I wouldn't count on any representative to write a bill unless all 50k people call (or harass if you prefer) them.

Remember, it's pretty much a popularity contest. If the support is popular, something will get drafted. The only way they know it's popular is if we call. :banghead:
Thanks for the update. That's the most detail I've seen/read yet.

It was just starting seem like a lot of work to lock and load but a round was never chambered..... so to speak. :lol:

AustinTacticalFirearms

imported post

JKTex,
Ianmtx says he's printed out all 50k+ signers and is delivering three volumes of 3" binders to Rep. Riddle's office! Haven't heard an update on when he's doing it, but I'd expect soon! So, if you (and others in the forum) know people who support OC, now's the time to start calling her office!

...never chambered... I laughed out loud at that one.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

...never chambered... I laughed out loud at that one.
Kind of a good analogy - the magazine is loaded with ammunition (bill drafted by legislative services) and inserted into the well (bill sitting on Rep. Riddle's desk), but a rlound is not chambered (till its introduced).

Focus on spreading the word about the petition toget more signers and then to get people to contact THEIR reps and sens - link at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/17184.htmlworks for this.

And if you have not herd back from your reps and sens, hit 'em again!

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

The count is now at 55,026. This does makes one feel better-there for a while I thought that this was for not, but now, I feel much better.