• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reply from Senator McEachin

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just got the following reply from Sen. McEachin regarding the VCDL alert message I sent the other day.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM, <district09@senate.virginia.gov> wrote:
>
> Thanks, I will certainly continue to support closing the gun show loophole.
> I appreciate your advocacy!
> Take care,
> A. Donald McEachin
Short. Sweet. Entirely off the mark.

My reply:

Senator McEachin,

Perhaps you misunderstood my message. I was requesting your OPPOSITION to SB 1257.

Incidentally, it seems you also do not understand that there is no such thing as a gun-show loophole. Private transfers of firearms in VA are perfectly legal. This bill would only hamper private transfers within the confines of a gun-show setting. Meanwhile, two law-abiding Virginians could make the same firearm transfer anywhere else in the state without needing to comply with any of the provisions set forth in SB 1257.

Furthermore, statistics have consistently shown that criminals do not get their firearms from gun-shows. This bill is truly an answer in search of a problem.

That you seem to believe there is a gun-show loophole indicates either you do not understand VA law in this matter, or you support eliminating all private transfers, the effect of which will amount to the creation of a decentralized gun registry.

If your support for this bill is out of ignorance, please let me know what you are unclear about regarding current VA law and I will explain why this bill will do nothing to reduce crime. If you truly wish to eliminate private transfers of firearms in VA, then please know that I will actively campaign against you during the next election, as will thousands of other freedom loving Virginians.

Sincerely,

[name, addy]

hsmith

imported post

If you don't clearly write "I OPPOSE/SUPPORT XXXX" in the title they will ignore what you write, theyprobably dont' even read your thought out arguments anyway :X

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's the thing. The VCDL Alerts are VERY explicit in their intent. I'm not sure if he missed it or was deliberately poking fun at the request.

hsmith

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
That's the thing. The VCDL Alerts are VERY explicit in their intent. I'm not sure if he missed it or was deliberately poking fun at the request.

Maybe, "I don't care what you gun nuts think, in your face"

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's it. I got another reply that basically said "common sense gun laws" and "we'll have to agree to disagree" so he must've been skimming really fast.

I responded again with a few direct questions, but don't hold my breath on detailed answers.