Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More reason to have a gun on the VCU campus

Post imported post

Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 0053 hours
    1100 W. Franklin Street
    W/M, VCU student-victim, age 19, was walking west on W. Franklin when suspect #1 approached him and displayed a silver revolver. After demanding and taking the victims’ wallet, laptop, and cell phone the suspect told the victim, “Go before I shoot you.” The suspect then fled on foot east on W. Franklin Street.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 0038 hours
    1909 Grove Avenue
    W/F victim, age 38, was parking her car in the rear lot of 1909 Grove Avenue when suspect #1 approached her and demanded her purse. The victim was unsure if the suspect was armed with a weapon, but she tossed him her purse and ran from the scene toward the 1900 block of Floyd Avenue. The victim did not see the suspect leave the scene.

Saturday, January 17, 2009, 0300 hours
    1500 W. Main Street
    W/M, VCU student-victim, age 18, and W/M, VCU student-victim age 19, were walking on Plum Street toward their VCU dorm when suspect #1 approached them from behind. The suspect #1 struck victim #1 in the head with a dark-colored handgun and said, “Get on the ground and give me what you got.” Both victims lay on the ground and gave the suspect their wallets and cell phones. After taking their belongings the suspect struck victim #1 again in the head with the gun before leaving the scene on foot in an unknown direction.

Monday, January 19, 2009, 0057 hours
    1100 W. Grace Street
    W/M, VCU student-victim, age 19, and W/M, VCU student-victim age 20, were walking in the alley in the 1100 block of W. Grace Street when they were approached by both suspects. Suspect #1 displayed a dark-colored semiautomatic handgun as suspect #2 said, “Don’t shoot them.” Suspect #2 told the victims, “Just give him all you got” as suspect #1 said, “I’ve got a gun. Give me all you got. Just give me all you got.” The victims gave the suspects their cell phones and wallets containing money and credit cards. After the robbery the suspects left the scene of foot east in the alley toward S. Harrison Street.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 2215 hours
    1101 W. Main Street
    W/M, VCU student-victim, age 23, was en route to the 7-11 when he was robbed of his cell phone by suspect #1 who had approached him, displayed a firearm and asked the victim to, “Hand over the goods.”. After the robbery the suspect fled on foot westbound in the alley and then south toward W. Cary Street.

Suspect # 1:
    Armed w/ black or silver handgun (revolver and semiautomatic)
    B/M, 23-33 years old
    6’0”-6’2”, 160-190 pounds
    Shaved or bald head, skinny face, long goatee, medium complexion
    last seen wearing: dark hoodie, black jeans

Suspect # 2:
    Armed w/ black or silver handgun (revolver and semiautomatic)
    B/F, 17-23 years old
    5’2”-5’5”, 120-130 pounds
    long black dreadlocks
    last seen wearing: dark puffy jacket

Suspect vehicle:
    Grey or silver Cadillac Deville
    Red or dark-colored SUV

information courtesy RPD

Post imported post

All that was by the same two guys? Wow.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    All that was by the same two guys? Wow.

TFred
    Suspect #2 was female. Dang, suspect #1 with the goatee almost sounds like.... DANBUS!!!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Yes bad but none (wiggle, wiggle) of this happened on VCU campus.

Don't you get it - no guns (squirm) allowed on campus worked again.

VCU police have authority on the streets but such crimes as these are not scored against VCU. WTF ! Were is the poetry, where is the justice? Where is the reasonable approach to personal safety?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Sounds like a good area in which to have an OC late night coffee and cake...

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred
    HA! That, might just be worth the drive, maybe make a lobby day out of it too.... :^).

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred
    Piccola's on the corner of Main and Harrison, is open til midnight during the week and later on the weekend, I think.

:P

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

No, this is why you don't want to have a gun on the campus of VCU. After all, how would the miserable indigents be able to support themselves if they couldn't conduct their illegal activities because their victims had the means to force them to cease their "gainful" pursuit of the victims' property?

Think of it as a form of welfare.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    Piccola's on the corner of Main and Harrison, is open til midnight during the week and later on the weekend, I think.

:P
    Excellent red velvet cake. Subs and pizza are pretty good too.

Post imported post

Where did the data come from, is it publicly accessible? Link please?

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    No, this is why you don't want to have a gun on the campus of VCU. After all, how would the miserable indigents be able to support themselves if they couldn't conduct their illegal activities because their victims had the means to force them to cease their "gainful" pursuit of the victims' property?

*Think of it as a form of welfare.

taxes are collected at the barrel of a gun (the threat of) - this is just more streamlined "wealth redistribution" - it is market efficency!

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Where did the data come from, is it publicly accessible? Link please?
    It was taken from an email sent out to the neighborhood. You can search here.
    http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/departm...dent_Info.aspx

I doubt you will find it written exactly the same way. This search feature will access only incidents filed by RPD not VCU PD.

Post imported post

Crazy, the campus security doesn't have an open and public listing of the crime incidents on it's web site, and isn't obligated to report to the PD....in a way that's sort of criminal in itself.

Post imported post

Sounds like this guys' been working the scene for a while, wonder if it's the same one

Number: 08-41
    Date of Release: 10/20/2008

On September 26, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Students Robert Berriz and Bryan Hill were shot during a robbery in the 300 Block of Goshen Street near VCU campus. The suspect, described as a black male in his late teens to early twenties, 5’08”- 6’00”, 150 lbs, wearing all dark clothes, a ski mask and carrying a black semi automatic handgun fled on foot.

http://www.vcu.edu/police/

Daily crime report link broken

http://www.vcu.edu/police/commpol.html

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Crazy, the campus security doesn't have an open and public listing of the crime incidents on it's web site, and isn't obligated to report to the PD....in a way that's sort of criminal in itself.
    No doubt it is a crazy system. Don't forget to add the Capital Police, State Police, VA Union PD, Federal Reserve and a few other large organization that have their own police force. Their incidents do not get publicly reported either. Real crime could be up or down or out of control. We never know unless it hits the media.

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Sounds like this guys' been working the scene for a while, wonder if it's the same one

Number: 08-41
    Date of Release: 10/20/2008

On September 26, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Students Robert Berriz and Bryan Hill were shot during a robbery in the 300 Block of Goshen Street near VCU campus. The suspect, described as a black male in his late teens to early twenties, 5’08”- 6’00”, 150 lbs, wearing all dark clothes, a ski mask and carrying a black semi automatic handgun fled on foot.

http://www.vcu.edu/police/

Daily crime report link broken

http://www.vcu.edu/police/commpol.html
    That happened on my friends front steps... He had walked in 10 minutes prior. Only difference is... He's in the process of joining the richmond police department, and carries a Sig P220 at all times. That crook had some lucky timing.

Ex-girlfriend knows the one that got shot in the neck... Crazy stuff

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Kinda like how all tow companies have to report what they tow to the Richmond PD, all expept the Richmond PD impound lot... They don't report to anyone. The police department doesn't know what cars they have towed/impounded. Makes a lot of sense....

Post imported post

Here's a nice site to check from time to time. I like to check out what's going on around my apartment and girlfriend's workplace.

http://richmondcrime.org/

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

And to think, I might be attending VCU this fall....

Post imported post

don't ask, don't tell, deep cc

*walks away whistling*

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:

*walks away whistling*

Post imported post

The problem remains. The area around VCU (including the streets through the campus) is a concentration of violent crime. The administration elects to polish their PR image by not claiming or disallowing such crimes as having anything to do with VCU through a series of mirrors and smoke.

If there were a rash of shootings, muggings, rapes and armed robberies in my subdivision and even one on the curb in front of my house, I have a problem. Surely I may still claim that my house and yard are safe....at least so far. Would I want to disarm my friends and neighbors to remove the evil guns from the street? NO! I'd be encouraging them to take personal responsibility personally.

VCU responds by not allowing the means to self-defense for students and staff and forgets that like Virginia Tech, they cannot protect anyone all of the time - frankly probably none of the time. IMO - the administration is culpable in creating the environment and conditions that fosters, not prevents, these painfull events.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:

*walks away whistling*
    The problem becomes if you get involved in something where you must draw.

Yes, saving your life is worth it.

But you have bigger issues once that happens.

Advice to all: Don't go to VCU.

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    SNIP:
    You said it!
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    I don't but I am regularly subject to the impact of the area to which VCU contributes in no small part - actually in an extreme large part.

IMO - VCU public relations = We are great, we are large, we are wise and wonderful but when there is a problem either "we are doing all we can" or most frequently "It's not our problem." Yes, it is a VCU problem.

Besides, what are a students options? Va. Tech or maybe Geo. Mason?

Yata hey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast