• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More reason to have a gun on the VCU campus

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The problem remains. The area around VCU (including the streets through the campus) is a concentration of violent crime. The administration elects to polish their PR image by not claiming or disallowing such crimes as having anything to do with VCU through a series of mirrors and smoke.

If there were a rash of shootings, muggings, rapes and armed robberies in my subdivision and even one on the curb in front of my house, I have a problem. Surely I may still claim that my house and yard are safe....at least so far. Would I want to disarm my friends and neighbors to remove the evil guns from the street? NO! I'd be encouraging them to take personal responsibility personally.

VCU responds by not allowing the means to self-defense for students and staff and forgets that like Virginia Tech, they cannot protect anyone all of the time - frankly probably none of the time. IMO - the administration is culpable in creating the environment and conditions that fosters, not prevents, these painfull events.

Yata hey

hsmith

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
don't ask, don't tell, deep cc

*walks away whistling*

The problem becomes if you get involved in something where you must draw.

Yes, saving your life is worth it.

But you have bigger issues once that happens.

Advice to all: Don't go to VCU.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hsmith wrote:
I don't but I am regularly subject to the impact of the area to which VCU contributes in no small part - actually in an extreme large part.

IMO - VCU public relations = We are great, we are large, we are wise and wonderful but when there is a problem either "we are doing all we can" or most frequently "It's not our problem." Yes, it is a VCU problem.

Besides, what are a students options? Va. Tech or maybe Geo. Mason?

Yata hey

essayons

imported post

I guess by that same logic you'd also avoid all post offices, federal buildings, courthouses, churches, K-12 schools, shopping malls, and anywhere else guns are prohibited.

You'd also have to avoid large swath's of downtown Richmond to stay away from VCU property. Oh and don't get seriously injured or need advanced surgery.

As Grapeshot said, student's don't always have a choice. As far as I know, all VA public universities have no gun policies. VCU is unique in that it is written into state code and is spread out in an urban campus with a high rate of crime.

As for me, when I last checked, there are only two accredited bachelor degree programs in Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness in the country: VCU and The George Washington University in DC. You tell me which is a better choice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
All universities are required by law to report crimes, these reports are public. There is a website but I can't find it.
Yep and congressmen are required by law to report accurately to IRS.

The one below is probably the best IMO insofar as being able to interpret the figures.

Click on Va. (or your preference) and look at the extreme high figures for VCU.
And this for a campus that does not count the sidewalk or city streets running through the block by block campus. Technically the VCU police can walk out their front door and be off campus! That and schools notoriously under report crime or down grade it.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_09.html

Yata hey

fairfax1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
Also, here a is map of the jurisdiction of the VCU police:
http://www.vcu.edu/police/vcujuris.gif
Map of jurisdiction is in great part because of an arrangement with the City of Richmond and the Richmond PD. This map does NOT define the boundries of the "campus." That would look like a checker board with open spaces between the squares.

If a crime is committed in front of the Segal Center on the sidewalk, it is NOT on VCU property and will be recorded as occurring off campus or in the city. Same thing if at a parked car in front of the dormitories.

Wonder how high VCU's crime rate would be if the opposite were true. My guess would be 3-400% + higher. Don't forget this would include MCV (Medical College of Va).

Yata hey

kenny

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

If a crime is committed in front of the Segal Center on the sidewalk, it is NOT on VCU property and will be recorded as occurring off campus or in the city. Same thing if at a parked car in front of the dormitories.
Not necessarily, it will depend on what agency handles the call. Incidents that are handled by any agency other than RPD are not necessarily report as a statistics to the RPD.

Although the individuals maybe arrested and charged and prosecuted by the same court system, that is where the official record starts.

Say an ABC Special Agent arrest someone for drug possession on a city street or parking lot. He takes them to the Magistrate located at RPD headquarters. The person is processed and then turned over to the City Jail.

RPD is never involved and would have no record of the incident or arrest. The first public record would be when the Court system holds the individuals first hearing.

It is a ridiculous system and for those of us living in the city and makes it confusing until you figure it out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

kenny wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Not necessarily, it will depend on what agency handles the call. Incidents that are handled by any agency other than RPD are not necessarily report as a statistics to the RPD.

Although the individuals maybe arrested and charged and prosecuted by the same court system, that is where the official record starts.

Say an ABC Special Agent arrest someone for drug possession on a city street or parking lot. He takes them to the Magistrate located at RPD headquarters. The person is processed and then turned over to the City Jail.

RPD is never involved and would have no record of the incident or arrest. The first public record would be when the Court system holds the individuals first hearing.

It is a ridiculous system and for those of us living in the city and makes it confusing until you figure it out.
The primary point that I am trying to make here is that VCU's crime stats are considerably lower than if they were a traditional campus with a normal footprint. The streets, sidewalks and alleys (were much of the crime occurs) not to mention private business which lie within the demographic boundaries are NOT reported in the same context as VCU's "within the grass stats."

Compare the FBI figures for VCU
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_09_va.html

With the VCU Safety Report. Note: This is supposed to be for 2007 (see title) but in fact is for 2006

http://www.vcu.edu/police/2007_safetyreport.pdf

Yata hey