• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you fellas give me the top 10 Do's/Dont's for Georgia?

Mark Ducati

imported post

I've got a Georgia CCW license... whats a GFL? Same thing?

I carry concealed in my small rural hometown as carrying openly in the Grocery store or HomeDepot, as a doctor if some of my patients see me carrying openly I could be branded a gun nut and this might affect my business.

So when I'm out of town (still in Georgia), where/when/how may I openly carry?

What about Florida who reciprocates CCW with Georgia? We're going to Destin this May for a beach vacation.

mathar1

imported post

Anywhere you legally carry at all you can open carry. the Georgia Firearms License allows you to carry either open or concealed. Georgia does not have a concealed weapons permit.;)

Florida does not allow open carry at all. Your conceal must be deep and good. If it prints or shows you can be charged for brandishing.

ajcis55

imported post

Hey, I'm new and have a quick question. I've tried to check GPDO, but it seems to still be down.

From reading your reply, anyone with a GFL can also conceal? From reading in other places, it seems you do have to have a proper holster, but I couldn't figure out if there was a GFL as well as a concealed weapons permit. I'm pretty new to carrying or even owning a gun and want to make sure I'm doing things legally.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Hey, I'm new and have a quick question. I've tried to check GPDO, but it seems to still be down.

From reading your reply, anyone with a GFL can also conceal? From reading in other places, it seems you do have to have a proper holster, but I couldn't figure out if there was a GFL as well as a concealed weapons permit. I'm pretty new to carrying or even owning a gun and want to make sure I'm doing things legally.

Anyone legally posessing a GFL may conceal or open carry as suits them.
If concealing your firearm it must be in a holster, bag, hip grip, etc made to carry a firearm.
The Georgia Firearms License, (GFL) is it - open or concealed.

LoneOak

imported post

ajcis55 wrote:

There is only one license or permit in Georgia and it is a Georgia Firearms License, GFL, There is no Concealed Carry Permit in Georgia. With a GFL you can carry either openly or concealed. If you carry concealed the weapon must be in a holster or other restraining device such as a grip clip.

You can-not carry a weapon in your pocket without it being in a holster, the first time you are caught it is a misdemenor but the second time you are caught it is a felony with a possible 5 year prison sentence. Georgia Carry is currently lobbying to have SB-9 voted into law which would remove this restriction. I don't know all the legal stuff but they are just now trying to get thebill introduced.

Send an email to your Senator and Representive asking them to support SB-9!!!

ajcis55

imported post

Thanks much for the replies, guys. That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. And I will definitely send some emails in support of the new bill.

Peacemaker

imported post

LoneOak wrote:
You can-not carry a weapon in your pocket without it being in a holster, the first time you are caught it is a misdemenor but the second time you are caught it is a felony with a possible 5 year prison sentence....

That is only if it is concealed. For instance, if you stick a full-sized pistol in the pocket such that the handle is sticking out such that everyone could tell that its a pistol, then that would be okay because according to Stockdale v. State (32 Ga. 225, 1861):

A pistol carried by a man with no effort to conceal it; with the barrel inserted beneath the pantaloons in front, whilst the man's coat was unbuttoned, and the man had on no vest at the time; that the cock, cylinder, and caps of the pistol could be plainly and distinctly seen, and any person could know that it was a pistol, without any difficulty, is not concealed.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
LoneOak wrote:
You can-not carry a weapon in your pocket without it being in a holster, the first time you are caught it is a misdemenor but the second time you are caught it is a felony with a possible 5 year prison sentence....

That is only if it is concealed. For instance, if you stick a full-sized pistol in the pocket such that the handle is sticking out such that everyone could tell that its a pistol, then that would be okay because according to Stockdale v. State (32 Ga. 225, 1861):

A pistol carried by a man with no effort to conceal it; with the barrel inserted beneath the pantaloons in front, whilst the man's coat was unbuttoned, and the man had on no vest at the time; that the cock, cylinder, and caps of the pistol could be plainly and distinctly seen, and any person could know that it was a pistol, without any difficulty, is not concealed.
I predict you are going to see this issue arise in case law again soon.

jerg_064

imported post

Check out georgiapacking.org for some really good weapon laws in "plain english".

Along with AG opinions and more. Check out Ga code 16-11-130 and tell all the firearms literateservices members you know, cause they have the same carry rights asLE. :celebrate