• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Senate passes restaurant carry, rejects private gun sales ban

Virginiaplanter

imported post

I don't see the problem with the notification. When you first walk into the restaurant, just yell, "I've got a Gun, and I want a table with good service and good food now!"

What's the problem?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ed wrote:
Hand em a card that says.. "Hello. By handing you this card I am "officially" notifiying you of my compliance of Section xxx.xxx" of the code of Virginia. Thank you.

What does the bill state?

Would we berequired to notify them that we are complying with the statute, or required to notify them that we are carrying a concealed handgun?

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Will they also make it necessary for the driver of a vehicle to notify so he isn't served anything to drink?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
ed wrote:
Hand em a card that says.. "Hello. By handing you this card I am "officially" notifiying you of my compliance of Section xxx.xxx" of the code of Virginia. Thank you.

Would we berequired to notify them that we are complying with the statute, or required to notify them that we are carrying a concealed handgun?
A difference without a distinction

TFred

imported post

I still predict that eventually the notification requirement will have to go away. It will irritate and inconvenience everyone involved (the concealed gun carriers and especially the ABC Managers on duty) and it does not provide any tangible benefit.

Probably better to get this first step done this year, and then make it better next year.

I'm still surprised if there is not some Restaurant Association very much opposed to this notification idea.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
ed wrote:

A difference without a distinction

I'm not so sure.

Its one thing to tell them you are carrying a concealed handgun.

Its something else to hand them a card telling them you are complying with 18.2-XYZJ, which doesn't really tell them you are carrying a concealed handgun. It puts it on them to look it up to find out that you are carrying a concealed handgun. I don't think this is really notification. Its more like a hint or clue. The only way I can see it is if the card included a declaration that you were carrying a concealed handgun.\

If that were the case, I kinda like the card-notification idea. Its quiet. And you can print helpful information. Here might be a first draft:
I would like to let you know that I am a law-abiding citizen who takes self-defense seriously. Virginia State Law requires me to let you know that I am both licensed to carry a concealed handgun and am now carrying my personal defense handgun, discreetly concealed. I have passed a police criminal backround check; andI have passed the state-mandated gun safety training.

PS: I tipvery well for good service. :)

jegoodin

imported post

It doesn't really matter... the governor is going to veto it anyway.

But as a practical matter, I don't see walking it to a restaurant, asking for the ABC manager and saying, "I've got a gun." Perhaps we should have them add convenience stores and banks to the bill.

WCrawford

imported post

jegoodin wrote:
It doesn't really matter... the governor is going to veto it anyway.

But as a practical matter, I don't see walking it to a restaurant, asking for the ABC manager and saying, "I've got a gun." Perhaps we should have them add convenience stores and banks to the bill.
Are there enough votes and political will to override a veto?

M@D H@TTER

imported post

At least the police can stillget hammeredwhile carrying concealed :p...so long as they're carrying out official police business ;).

I like the card idea too. It'd be an interesting momento for them to show their friends later to go along with the story they will surely tell.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
I still predict that eventually the notification requirement will have to go away. It will irritate and inconvenience everyone involved (the concealed gun carriers and especially the ABC Managers on duty) and it does not provide any tangible benefit.

Probably better to get this first step done this year, and then make it better next year.

I'm still surprised if there is not some Restaurant Association very much opposed to this notification idea.

TFred

There is. The Virginia Hospitality and Travel Association has been at loggerheads with gun owners over this. If they would simply support concealed carry, more of their patrons would not even know, bad guys' behavior would not change, and good guys who choose not to OC for some reason would have the protection and advantage they need. A win all around. Dunno why VHTA can't see that.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Looks like an entrapment bill. Doesn't telling someone you have a gun lean
towards brandishing.
I can see telling the bank teller, "I have a gun" and before you can finnish the statement
you are on the floor being charged with armed robbery.

I like the card idea, but also how about another one stateing you are not openly carrying,
now you aknowledge a gun exists, and common sence means you have it hidden.:celebrate

wylde007

imported post

Umm, the notify clause only affects restaurants where alcohol is served.

I wouldn't worry about your bank. Highly unlikely you'll find an ABC manager behind the counter there.