• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What question would you ask a legal authority on MI handgun laws.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

If you could ask 12 questions to a top authority on handgun laws what would they be? what would you like to have clarified in regards to handgun laws in Michigan. We want to compile at least 12 questions.

They could be on lawful purpose, transport, OC, CC, brandishing, IWB holster/OC, etc. If you can think of one or 12 post them here and we will compile the 12 best ones to try and work on getting answers to.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Michigan State constitution clearly states that Every person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state. Why, then, are there laws written which dilute this right?

Why is it a crime to conceal a weapon? Generally, a criminal would conceal with intent to commit another crime. Why, then, should it also be a crime to conceal? Shouldn't this law be redefined as "concealing with criminal intent" or "concealing during the commission of a crime"?

How many crimes have been solved due to the gun registration system in Michigan? Further, how many criminals have been stopped from acquiring handguns due to the registration system?

Currently, the law prohibits carriage of firearms in places like banks, schools, and college campuses. However, regardless of these laws, history shows that these are places where crime with firearms are the most prevalent. It is quite clear that criminals will act without regard to the law. Why, then, is it prohibited for the otherwise law-abiding to carry in these places for their own personal protection?

There's a start. I'd give more but it's getting late therefore my brain is turning off.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

1. Transport: Why are we denied our right to self defense while in our vehicle?(w/o cpl, of course)
2. Clarify "open". I think we all know why...
3. CEZ (aka PFZ) Why are we denied our right to self defense and that of children in a school?
4. Clarify the issue of open carry on a boat. I've voiced my opinion of this, and still haven't seen a law that specifically outlaws it, but law enforcement obviously thinks otherwise.
5. Why the specification of no open carry in a bank without a CPL? The BGs will carry in with his bad intentions regardless of the law, why exclude a non-CPL holder from his right to self defense in a situation where there is a heightened need for it?
I'll think of more tomorrow... I'm tired

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
If you could ask 12 questions to a top authority on handgun laws what would they be? what would you like to have clarified in regards to handgun laws in Michigan. We want to compile at least 12 questions.

They could be on lawful purpose, transport, OC, CC, brandishing, IWB holster/OC, etc. If you can think of one or 12 post them here and we will compile the 12 best ones to try and work on getting answers to.
Not necessarily in any order.

1. Lawful Transport (Lawful Purpose) without CPL
2. Lawful purpose
3. Lawful Open Carry in CPZ's with CPL, to include PreK-12 (Private or Public)
4. Brandishing
5. Post Office OC or CC with CPL, to include Parking Lots (Lawful Purpose)
6. Non-Student/Student/Faculty OC or CC with CPL on UM, WSU and MSU Properties
7. IWB Holsters, considered concealed, yes or no
8. OC or CC w/without permit/license of non-residents while visiting Michigan
9. Lawful OC or CC w/without CPL on/in a bicycle, ATV's, boats, etc.
10.Lawful OC or CCw/without CPL on/in a car, bicycle, ATV's, etc. while on your own property
11. Define Michigan's RTKBA
12. Lawful OC or CC with CPL for providing security for an entity that's leasing or was donated space located within a CPZ

Edit: Spelling entity

taxwhat

imported post

Define Lawful Ownership ,Transport, [ all modes],CC and/orOC,[display],CPL class {and why we need to pay for it ? ],Gun Free Zones ,[ with clarification on ALL]including Mall ,private open to public !

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

1. Some of the people allowed to carry concealed in Pistol Free Zones"are not "Peace Officers" nor have they had any more training than any other CPL holder; why does the state of Michigan allow these CPL holders to carry in "Pistol Free Zones" while forbidding others to do so?

2. Why does Michigan continue to demand the registration of pistols?

3. Since we already have a law regarding carrying a firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent (MCL 750.226), why do we prohibit concealed carry without a license and prohibit carry (OC and CC) in certain venues?

Leader

imported post

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand ?

How does notifying a police officer that you are armed make anybody safer ?

Will vehicle carry ever be treated the same as carry in your home in Michigan like it is in most states ?

Venator

imported post

Some good questions, but I meant questions about current law to clarify things more. Not questions on why a law is in effect, or why don't you repeal all gun laws.

More like what is lawful transport, can you drive around with a handgun unloaded and in a case in your car without a CPL. Or are the examples given in the statute the only lawful purposes? Things like that.

Can a non CPL holder OCin a Kroger's (they sell liquor). Right now it looks like that can't OC In any place that sells any kind of liquor, either for drinking on site orretail.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Venator wrote:
Some good questions, but I meant questions about current law to clarify things more. Not questions on why a law is in effect, or why don't you repeal all gun laws.

More like what is lawful transport, can you drive around with a handgun unloaded and in a case in your car without a CPL. Or are the examples given in the statute the only lawful purposes? Things like that.

Can a non CPL holder OCin a Kroger's (they sell liquor). Right now it looks like that can't OC In any place that sells any kind of liquor, either for drinking on site orretail.
I was under the impression that it was for places which sell for consumption... now I'm gonna have to go look that up...again...

Why does Michigan prohibit postal carriers from packing on the job? If I delivered mail in Flint/Detroit/Saginaw, etc., I would want to be able to carry. Mail carriers are in possession of valuable items every day. At least one state allows this. Virginia??VT? I'll have to look this up, too. If only I could remember where I saw it.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
Some good questions, but I meant questions about current law to clarify things more.  Not questions on why a law is in effect, or why don't you repeal all gun laws. 

More like what is lawful transport, can you drive around with a handgun unloaded and in a case in your car without a CPL.  Or are the examples given in the statute the only lawful purposes?  Things like that.

Can a non CPL holder OC in a Kroger's (they sell liquor).  Right now it looks like that can't OC In any place that sells any kind of liquor, either for drinking on site or retail.

Here's my best question:

Does preemption apply to public Universities, such as The University of Michigan, Western Michigan University, Eastern Michigan University, Ferris State, Grand Valley State, and Michigan State? These public universities have boards of regents that are publicly elected officials.

Venator

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Venator wrote:

Here's my best question:

Does preemption apply to public Universities, such as The University of Michigan, Western Michigan University, Eastern Michigan University, Ferris State, Grand Valley State, and Michigan State? These public universities have boards of regents that are publicly elected officials.
That's a good one and the kind of questions I'm looking for.

Venator

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
I was under the impression that it was for places which sell for consumption... now I'm gonna have to go look that up...again...

Why does Michigan prohibit postal carriers from packing on the job? If I delivered mail in Flint/Detroit/Saginaw, etc., I would want to be able to carry. Mail carriers are in possession of valuable items every day. At least one state allows this. Virginia??VT? I'll have to look this up, too. If only I could remember where I saw it.
That is the question I have in to the MSP. If you look at 750.234d it doesn't state for consumption on premises as it does in the CPL statute.

So for now I would advise not to carry in any place that has any kind of liquor licence unless you have a CPL. I know of one department in the metro area thatmay arrest for it.

Venator

imported post

These are some of the questions I have so far. Any others? Comments on the ones below?

1) Clarifythe definition of"open carry". Is an inside the waist band (IWB) holster considered concealed?

2) Can a person without a CPL OC on a boat?

3) What is considered Lawful Transport?

4)What is considered a lawful purpose for transporting a handgun without a CPL?

5) Can a CPL holder OC in those places mentioned in Sec. 5o. (1) and does that include preK-12 (Private or Public)?

6) Can Non-Student/Student/Faculty OC or CC with CPL or OC without a CPL on any college or university Properties, including UM, WSU and MSU?

7) Can a non-resident now possess a handgun in Michigan and can they OC without a CPL?

8) Can a person without a CPL OC on/in a bicycle, ATV's, boats, snowmobile, etc. Can they on their own property.

9) Can a person OC or CC with CPL if providing security for an entity that's leasing or was donated space located within a location defined in Sec.5o (1)?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

5) Can a CPL holder OC in those places mentioned in Sec. 5o. (1) and does that include K-12 (Private or Public)?

IIRC, Pre-K is alsoincluded for the school prohibition.

ETA: Other then that,what you have so farlooks good to me.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:

6) Can Non-Student/Student/Faculty OC or CC with CPL or OC without a CPL on any college or university Properties, including UM, WSU and MSU?
[/font]

Let's take this one step further. Due to preemption, can a school authoritatively deny any person (regardless of affiliation with the University) the right to carry a firearm on campus property, other than as defined in Michigan Compiled Law?

Tucker6900

imported post

Leader wrote:
Will vehicle carry ever be treated the same as carry in your home in Michigan like it is in most states ?

Ive got one question. When I first thought of it, I thought it was more of a joke but then it became a little more of a serious one.

What if you live in your car? Could your car then be considered your home? What about people living in RV's, boats? Sound like a goofy question, but you know, maybe not so goofy. Hmm......

Dan F.

imported post

My Questions:

If "ignorance of the law is no excuse," why can't the average Joe easily look up and understand all of the Michigan firearm laws? (The foregoing is probably more rhetorical in nature)

1. I need a clarification of the concealed and open carry laws...a final word, if you will, that all can understand and abide by (or knowingly disobey at their peril).

Does anyone else think it's high time Michigan's firearm laws were reviewed and updated?

Does ANY legislator, past or present, believe that a firearm law will deter a criminal?

SQLtables

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
Leader wrote:

Ive got one question. When I first thought of it, I thought it was more of a joke but then it became a little more of a serious one.

What if you live in your car? Could your car then be considered your home? What about people living in RV's, boats? Sound like a goofy question, but you know, maybe not so goofy. Hmm......

The Saginaw County Prosecuter addressed this when he was teaching my CPL class.... sorta....

IIRC, his thought was that you'd have to prove that you lived there, and that it would probably have to be on your property and maybe disabled in order for a "castle doctrine" to be in effect. I think he also mentioned that if you moved it, it would be a vehicle, so a CPL would be required to have a loaded handgun.

Sorry to go off-topic... these are good questions though.