• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Couple Murdered in Kent

SpyderTattoo

imported post

This happened about a mile from where I live. I live a little west of there. The quoted guy, Jesse Emery, is someone who works with my wife.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Is just me or have violent crime been up a lot lately. Every night seems likeI am hearing about a new murder on the news. Just another good reason to keep close to our arms.

bugly

imported post

Too bad they weren't armed and aware of what was going to happen ( I know that sounds kinda stupid), there could have been a different news story instead, if in fact the news would have bothered to mention someone defended themselves and took bad guys off the street.

Stuff like this does not ever have to happen, an armed society seems to become much nicer. Look at how mellow people were before the 1968 gun control act. You could go to any hardware store and buy a gun, hmm, don't wanna make the next-door neighbor mad, all he has to do is go to Ace hardware and I'm screwed. Ahhhh, the good old daze, when men were men and criminals were more or less in check.....

vote_no

imported post

bugly wrote:
Stuff like this does not ever have to happen, an armed society seems to become much nicer. Look at how mellow people were before the 1968 gun control act. You could go to any hardware store and buy a gun, hmm, don't wanna make the next-door neighbor mad, all he has to do is go to Ace hardware and I'm screwed. Ahhhh, the good old daze, when men were men and criminals were more or less in check....
Yeah, the good old days when the violent crime rate was twice what it is now. When women were women, when blacks had their own schools, and when Jews weren't allowed to get apartments. I miss those days, too.

Machoduck

imported post

"Yeah, the good old days when the violent crime rate was twice what it is now."

Do you have a citation for that?

"When women were women, when blacks had their own schools, and when Jews weren't allowed to get apartments."

Don't confuse era with geography. I went to public school in the forties and fifties with black kids as well as white and Jewish in Pennsylvania. None mentioned trouble finding an apartment to rent. By the way, what does this have to do with guns in general or the Gun Control Act of 1968 specifically?

MD

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Well the couple's son has been arrested for the shooting. Always look at the family first... He had managed to flee from Kent all the way to Tukwila before they caught him. I guess he wasn't in a hurry...

bugly

imported post

vote_no wrote:
bugly wrote:
Stuff like this does not ever have to happen, an armed society seems to become much nicer. Look at how mellow people were before the 1968 gun control act. You could go to any hardware store and buy a gun, hmm, don't wanna make the next-door neighbor mad, all he has to do is go to Ace hardware and I'm screwed. Ahhhh, the good old daze, when men were men and criminals were more or less in check....
Yeah, the good old days when the violent crime rate was twice what it is now. When women were women, when blacks had their own schools, and when Jews weren't allowed to get apartments. I miss those days, too.
Definitely not the intended message I was going for. I was referring to when people were much more respectful of their neighbors and actually respected their elders.
Any other message derived from that was unintended.

heresolong

imported post

vote_no wrote:
Yeah, the good old days when the violent crime rate was twice what it is now.
Code:
Nice try. It was actually less than half. Easy to confuse half with twice though. My ninth grade students do it all the time.

Per 100,000 people.  From 
[url]http://www.statcan.ca/Documents/English/Pgdb/State/justic.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/[/url]  

I know the Canadian statistics aren't relevant to our discussion but they were in the table and it was easier than editing them out.

Year    US      Canada
1962    ~185    ~250

1967    ~250    ~390

1972    401     507
1973    417     534
1974    461     564
1975    488     597
1976    468     596
1977    476     583
1978    498     591
1979    549     621
1980    597     648