Thread: Illinois Sheriffs back concealed carry...

Post imported post

Post imported post

State Rep. John Bradley, D-Marion, proposed a bill (HB245) last week that would allow residents to obtain concealed firearm permits. It would require background checks and training in handgun use, safety and marksmanship. Similar bills have been introduced in the past, and died with little support.
    Not a Dem... Say it aint soooooo.,

Seriously, I feel really good about our prospects right now. Its seems that a good portion of the country is ready to stop dealing with stupidity in the political arena.

Post imported post

There are some excellent comments at the end of that article. It's almost as if the folks have found a whiff of freedom in the air, and are anxious to breathe deeply once again.

TFred

Post imported post

"I believe to be successful the key to concealed carry is training," said St. Clair County Sheriff Mearl Justus, voicing his support Wednesday. "If we allow concealed carry, we must make sure only the right people have the guns. This is best done by requiring training, proper identification, and a thorough background check — including a mental evaluation.

:?
    "Good people should have more of an opportunity to defend themselves," Hertz said. "I support this only with restrictions.

Post imported post

It's better than nothing. Besides, once the fires of freedom get started, there will be a cry for more freedom. Even if it takes baby steps, it's worth it to restore those rights to their former glory.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

If they make this a "shall issue" law and preemptive, I think you'll see crime in Chicago drop like a rock.

Post imported post

If and only if they place statewide preemption
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

IF they make it shall issue which I would not expect although I would certainly hope it would be the case. But then I am surprised that momentum actually appears to be building in favor of concealed carry in the first place.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:
    "I believe to be successful the key to concealed carry is training," said St. Clair County Sheriff Mearl Justus, voicing his support Wednesday. "If we allow concealed carry, we must make sure only the right people have the guns. This is best done by requiring training, proper identification, and a thorough background check — including a mental evaluation.

"Good people should have more of an opportunity to defend themselves," Hertz said. "I support this only with restrictions.

I'm sorry, I'm simply not seeing a whole lot to get excited about here.

"mental evaluations"? - Are you serious? Anyone ever met a shrink that would absolutely guarantee that anyone wasn't ever going to go off the deep end? I can already see them "erring" on the "cautious" (read: "No you can't have one") side just to cover their ass.

And guess who's going to pay for that "evaluation"? Yep - that would be you, not them.

WHAT "restrictions"? Who gets to define the "restrictions" and what gives them the RIGHT to generate ANY "restrictions"?

I'm nearly speechless here. :shock: Pete

Post imported post

I'm not saying it's a good thing but it would be better than what they currently have, which is nothing at all. Yes, the IL State Constitution does protect the RKBA but there is nothing preventing localities from banning firearms (which by and large is what they have done).

Getting this foothold could be used as a means to get further, moreexpansive right restoration going.

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    It's better than nothing. Besides, once the fires of freedom get started, there will be a cry for more freedom. Even if it takes baby steps, it's worth it to restore those rights to their former glory.
    Good point, but you can bet that since 30% of my VA disability is supposedly Mental, I'd be denied even though I don't take medication. Don't need to either. SOme dumb shrink gave me that rating after my 2nd Tour in Iraq. I was pumped up then, since I've calmed down some.