• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois Sheriffs back concealed carry...

AllAmerican

imported post

State Rep. John Bradley, D-Marion, proposed a bill (HB245) last week that would allow residents to obtain concealed firearm permits. It would require background checks and training in handgun use, safety and marksmanship. Similar bills have been introduced in the past, and died with little support.

Not a Dem... Say it aint soooooo.,

Seriously, I feel really good about our prospects right now. Its seems that a good portion of the country is ready to stop dealing with stupidity in the political arena.

TFred

imported post

There are some excellent comments at the end of that article. It's almost as if the folks have found a whiff of freedom in the air, and are anxious to breathe deeply once again.

TFred

Dustin

imported post

"I believe to be successful the key to concealed carry is training," said St. Clair County Sheriff Mearl Justus, voicing his support Wednesday. "If we allow concealed carry, we must make sure only the right people have the guns. This is best done by requiring training, proper identification, and a thorough background check — including a mental evaluation.
:?
"Good people should have more of an opportunity to defend themselves," Hertz said. "I support this only with restrictions.

darthmord

imported post

It's better than nothing. Besides, once the fires of freedom get started, there will be a cry for more freedom. Even if it takes baby steps, it's worth it to restore those rights to their former glory.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IF they make it shall issue which I would not expect although I would certainly hope it would be the case. But then I am surprised that momentum actually appears to be building in favor of concealed carry in the first place.

spy1

imported post

Dustin wrote:
"I believe to be successful the key to concealed carry is training," said St. Clair County Sheriff Mearl Justus, voicing his support Wednesday. "If we allow concealed carry, we must make sure only the right people have the guns. This is best done by requiring training, proper identification, and a thorough background check — including a mental evaluation.
"Good people should have more of an opportunity to defend themselves," Hertz said. "I support this only with restrictions.
I'm sorry, I'm simply not seeing a whole lot to get excited about here.

"mental evaluations"? - Are you serious? Anyone ever met a shrink that would absolutely guarantee that anyone wasn't ever going to go off the deep end? I can already see them "erring" on the "cautious" (read: "No you can't have one") side just to cover their ass.

And guess who's going to pay for that "evaluation"? Yep - that would be you, not them.

WHAT "restrictions"? Who gets to define the "restrictions" and what gives them the RIGHT to generate ANY "restrictions"?

I'm nearly speechless here. :shock: Pete

darthmord

imported post

I'm not saying it's a good thing but it would be better than what they currently have, which is nothing at all. Yes, the IL State Constitution does protect the RKBA but there is nothing preventing localities from banning firearms (which by and large is what they have done).

Getting this foothold could be used as a means to get further, moreexpansive right restoration going.

Dustin

imported post

darthmord wrote:
It's better than nothing. Besides, once the fires of freedom get started, there will be a cry for more freedom. Even if it takes baby steps, it's worth it to restore those rights to their former glory.

Good point, but you can bet that since 30% of my VA disability is supposedly Mental, I'd be denied even though I don't take medication. Don't need to either. SOme dumb shrink gave me that rating after my 2nd Tour in Iraq. I was pumped up then, since I've calmed down some.