• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Maryland Friends (CC

wylde007

imported post

Immediate Action Needed

Thanks to your previous efforts, the bill to reform the language with which we will be able to exercise our right to self defense has a total of 42 sponsors and co-sponsors. We are pleased to report that Delegate Dan Riley (D - District 34A - Cecil and Harford) has submitted the bill and it now registered as HB470.

HB470 (To Date; has not been Crossfiled in the Senate) would repeal the requirement for the State Police to find that a person has a good and substantial reason for the issuance of a permit to wear, carry or transport a handgun. This would effectively let Maryland join the ranks of the vast majority of states who recognize the right to self-defense.

Now is where the hard begins and it is imperative that we move quickly since the hearing for the bill is scheduled for February 24 at 1pm.

What we need you to do:

•Contact the members of the House Judiciary Committee who are not already co-sponsors of the bill and ask for a favorable report on HB470, Handgun Requirements - Repeal of Finding Requirement. Remind them that Maryland is in the distinct minority of states when it comes to its current policy on the issuance of permits. Remind them that this will not change in anyway the necessity for criminal background checks for either the permit process or the purchase of a firearm.

•It is particularly important that as many people from the districts of the Delegates below make contacts. Those communications are invaluable to educating these legislators from districts traditionally thought of as anti-self-defense.

Samuel I. Rosenberg
Curtis S. (Curt) Anderson
Benjamin S. Barnes
Jill P. Carter
Frank M. Conaway, Jr.
Kathleen M. Dumais
Benjamin F. Kramer
Susan C. Lee
Gerron S. Levi
Victor R. Ramirez
Luiz R. S. Simmons
Kriselda Valderrama
Jeffrey D. Waldstreicher

•Contact Chairman Vallario and respectfully request that he allow for a hearing and, most importantly, a vote on the bill which will be appearing before his committee on February 24th.

JOSEPH F. VALLARIO, JR.
House Office Building, Room 101
6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
(410) 841-3488, (301) 858-3488
1-800-492-7122, ext. 3488 (toll free)
e-mail: joseph.vallario@house.state.md.us
fax: (410) 841-3850, (301) 858-3850

TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU (thanks to our friends at MDShooters.com):
Quick email tool (thanks to MSI Executive Member Jim S.)
Find your delegate
Pre-formatted mailing labels for the House Judiciary Committee
How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

[align=center]Maryland Shall Issue.org
P.O. Box 314
Libertytown, MD
21762-0314
ph. 240-446-6782

Mission Statement
"Maryland Shall Issue is an all volunteer, non-partisan effort dedicated to the preservation and advancement of all gunowners' rights in Maryland, with a primary goal of CCW reform to allow all law-abiding citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon; and to the education of the community to the awareness that 'shall issue' laws have, in all cases, resulted in decreased rates of violent crime."

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.p...73&postcount=1

Firearm/Crime Legislation,
Maryland General Assembly 2009
As of today,
http://mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/subjects/guns.htm
Note: this Page is updated as proposed Legislation is assigned to Committee.[/align]

echo6tango

imported post

Every year this comes around and every year it never even makes it out of committee. It seems that they always conveniently run out of time to hear any more bills before it's time to take a break.

Most of the people voted in by the people don't really represent the people...to busy coddling the criminals. Jeez...if citizens in this state we "permitted" to carry, bad guys could get hurt when merely try to earn a buck. Explain to me how that is fair?

However, the emails will go out anyway...as they do every year :D

echo6tango

imported post

Not a single delegate from my district is listed as a sponsor of this bill...emails have been sent to each requesting their position on this legislation. I'm both registered to vote and I never miss the opportunity to exercise that right. We'll see what I get back...

Sig229

imported post

Maryland boggles my mind.

Except for DC, it is totally surrounded by Concealed and Open Carry legal states.

And all of those surrounding states have a MUCH less violent crime rate than Maryland.

Yet year after year, decade after decade Maryland never learns.

Unbelievable.... :cry:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
echo6tango wrote:
I'm both registered to vote and I never miss the opportunity to exercise that right. We'll see what I get back...
Soap box.

Ballot box.

Cartridge box.
Until there's a threat to litigate against the state, attempts to repeal the finding requirement will be futile for a long time.