• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gainesville/Haymarket lunch or dinner

M@D H@TTER

imported post

It was suggested that a Gainesville / Haymarket area dinner or lunch be put together, so I'm starting this thread to work out the details and see who would be interested.

I don't really OC too much so I couldn't say which restaraunts would be more open to it than others but from what I've gathered in reading the threadsfrom people OCingaround here...it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere suitable.

I'm usually available Tues-Fri during most times, so I'm going to suggest a weekday...but I could work sometime out if the majority of people would prefer a weekend.

So, who's interested, what day would be preferable, any time constraints, any preferance or suggestions to where? Lemme hear your thoughts!

Marco

imported post

Pick a date/time/place and I'll try to be there.
Lunch works better for me.

Mailman

imported post

I am interested in this as well. Dinner and Sundays would be better for me but I will try to get to any that may be setup. I will be watching to see who else is interested.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

M@D H@TTER wrote:
what day would be preferable, any time constraints, any preferance or suggestions to where? Lemme hear your thoughts!

Take the temps you are now and then decide and post. Sometime this is like herdign cats and youjust have to say.. Here is where I will be if anyone elsewants to come. I also have used evite (as you know) to manage whose coming instead of a thread20 pages long with 10 yes's 6 no's and 20 well see's.

Ed

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The wife is going out of town for the weekend so either Friday or Saturday is a possible with me since I was going to head out somewhere anyway. The Gainesville/Haymarket (and Bristow area) are indeed going with some good places coming in. Agent19 can probably speak for the Bristow area I imagine.. I don't head over there much for dining out.

I was thinking about going to the Broolyn Pizza place in the shopping area where Harris Teeter is at the intersection of routes 15 and 29 one night. I've heard they're pretty good.

Bunch of other places.
Taste of Asia (Chinese+) in Heritage Hunt. Excellent Chinese restaurant
Chili's. Not a fan but it is there.
Bonefish. A really good one but gets crowded early. Maybe not the best for us.
Anothai. Nice Thai restaurant in Somerset.
Gesepi's (spelling?). Right in Haymarket, it's a pretty good Italian place.
Spitony's. In New Baltimore, it's small and not bad.
Blue Ridge Seafood. Looks poor house, but the food is good.
Foster's Grill. In Haymarket, simply the best burgers.

And a lot more, too.

The thing is, some of these are real restaurants - as in a place to take your lady for a nice dinner. Others are more along the lines of "let's grab a quick meal out which may be what a group would be looking for.

Any other suggestions?

M@D H@TTER

imported post

ed wrote:
M@D H@TTER wrote:
what day would be preferable, any time constraints, any preferance or suggestions to where? Lemme hear your thoughts!

Take the temps you are now and then decide and post. Sometime this is like herdign cats and youjust have to say.. Here is where I will be if anyone elsewants to come. I also have used evite (as you know) to manage whose coming instead of a thread20 pages long with 10 yes's 6 no's and 20 well see's.

Ed

I certainly understand that! I've tried many times to gather groups of people together unsuccessfully for just that reason. This is (thus far) simply a thread to figure out how many people we've got around here and who would be interested in joining us sometime in the future.

I don't really have a date yet (as I may not be free tomorrow and I won't be free this weekend), but I think that four days is plenty of time to start roll call, and figure out a good place to meet.

Personally, if we can avoid the town of Haymarket itself, all the better. I'm not a huge fan of the HPD :/. Anywhere in Gainesville would work though. El Tio's near the Giant is a great mexican place to eat, China Jade next door is a pretty good too. I've never been to Bonefish but the Ledo's pizza right there is pretty good pizza.

I may go driving around briefly tomorrow to see what's new that I haven't seen or been to yet to get some more ideas.

Keep those suggestions coming!

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll try to make either a lunch or dinner, but can't guarantee anything. If you get a weekday lunch in the Bristow area, I may be able to bring several coworkers who have never had the experience of OCDO meals. I know of at least 5 that have expressed interest in a lunch.

M@D H@TTER

imported post

Keep in mind folks, I'm open to suggestions as to when and where. If something works better for you than something else, say so. Also, anyone who knows of a proven OC friendly restaraunt with good food, feel free to chime in.

I'm thinking that this Friday could work for me for a lunch(assuming all goes well earlier this week) although I'm not sure where to host it yet.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fri anytime after 11:30.

I can't verify OC friendly, but I have been to Asia Garden for dinner a couple of times.

Another location we should have 0 issue is Fosters. We know the owner does not have issue with us being there and the one in at 28/Linton hall does get you through pretty fast and has significant amount of seating.

M@D H@TTER

imported post

Places I'm leaning towards

1. Foster's
  2. Joes's
  3. Taste of Asian
I'm not sure where else would have enough seating for more than 4-6 people.

Some other options (in no particular order)

1. China Jade
  2. El Tio's
  3. Uno's
  4. Ihop
  5. Five Guys
  6. Ruby tuesdays

Anyone OC at Joe's Italian Restaurant? I have been going there since I first moved here and I've kinda got a hankerin' for some pizza.

ufcfanvt

imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
Fri anytime after 11:30.

I can't verify OC friendly, but I have been to Asia Garden for dinner a couple of times.

Another location we should have 0 issue is Fosters. We know the owner does not have issue with us being there and the one in at 28/Linton hall does get you through pretty fast and has significant amount of seating.

This Friday (Feb 13th)?
Could the OP Edit the first post or the title to include the date?

Thanks.

Mailman

imported post

I am off from work on Friday the 13th and would be able to make it. As a matter of fact, I will have the the 13th - 16th off :p if any of those days are chosen to have a lunch or dinner get together. I will keep watching to see what you guys come up with. Bye

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

M@D H@TTER wrote:
Places I'm leaning towards

1. Foster's
  2. Joes's
  3. Taste of Asian
I'm not sure where else would have enough seating for more than 4-6 people.

Some other options (in no particular order)

1. China Jade
  2. El Tio's
  3. Uno's
  4. Ihop
  5. Five Guys
  6. Ruby tuesdays

Anyone OC at Joe's Italian Restaurant? I have been going there since I first moved here and I've kinda got a hankerin' for some pizza.
I can attest to the following places one these lists to being receptive to OC'ing.

1. Fosters
  2. Taste of Asia (not Asian - in the Heritage Hunt area)
  3. Five Guys in Gainesville
I've OC'd to Gissepie's (spelling?) in Haymarket which is owned by the same people who own Joe's in Gainesville, although I was in there to pickup carryout. I suspect that Joe's in Gainesville is fine because I have also OC'd there when picking up carryout.