• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Park rule changes

Chaingun81

imported post

Stupid question:

The new regulations allowing people with CHP to carry concealed in National Parks is already in effect and has not yet been reversed by new administration, right? Gonna go to Shenandoah and Skyline drive this weekend and just wanted to make absolutely sure that i can be legally packing. :)

6L6GC

imported post

I just FOIA'd them asking whether the officers had been trained re: the new rule, AND, would lawful open carry cause a problem.

I await their reply. When it comes I will post it here.

mpg9999

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
I just FOIA'd them asking whether the officers had been trained re: the new rule, AND, would lawful open carry cause a problem.

I await their reply. When it comes I will post it here.
The rule change only allows CC.

6L6GC

imported post

yeah, I know that, but I just want to see what they say. gotta throw 'em a bone ya know. I don't really care what they say, no matter what it is I just want it in writing.

If they say something to the effect of: "we are aware of the change and will abide by the new law and etc", then they arrest/hassle someone I/we will have something to send to the person's attorney.

Every little bit helps.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

This is great... When did this go into effect again? So now you can CC (provided you have the license) in all of the Shenandoah Park, etc.? That's huge for me, because when I go outbacking up there, it always frustrated me that I could not CC (as that is the time you want to).

hsmith

imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
This is great... When did this go into effect again? So now you can CC (provided you have the license) in all of the Shenandoah Park, etc.? That's huge for me, because when I go outbacking up there, it always frustrated me that I could not CC (as that is the time you want to).
I think it went through the 10th of Jan? I can't recall. There are a good few threads on it here, search the news forum :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:

Welcome to the front lines.

There is a mounting fight to close this option off again. You should try to stay more on top of this issue since it is of particular interest to you and join the rest of us in the fight to keep this new regulation in place and open it up to include OC.

hsmith

imported post

Maybe we all need to have cookouts in the national parks. Show we are "good people" who aren't out slaughtering wildlife, children, babies, and grandparents.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Maybe we all need to have cookouts in the national parks. Show we are "good people" who aren't out slaughtering wildlife, children, babies, and grandparents.
We already do, but since CC is the rule, nobody would see any difference between this month and this time last year.:banghead:

Tomahawk

imported post

At the last VCDL meeting I casually asked Phillip if we were going to have a VCDL picnic in a National Park this year. I think it's a good idea, especially if we can put up a banner or two and get some publicity, let people know we're out there, and we're not going away. So I'm on board with this. We need to pick a place and a date sometime in the late spring, reserve a spot with tables and grills, and organize food and supplies. Shouldn't be too hard, just a scaled up OC cookout, really, except we have to deal with the NPS dicknoses and make sure we don't break any rules and get the right permits and all (except CC only, of course, at least for now).

ETA: There is a lot open to interpretation in the new regs, so we REALLY need to avoid pushing the envelope on rules. Don't do anything stupid and remember that if you get pinched during the event, it reflects badly on the whole group.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
At the last VCDL meeting I casually asked Phillip if we were going to have a VCDL picnic in a National Park this year. I think it's a good idea, especially if we can put up a banner or two and get some publicity, let people know we're out there, and we're not going away. So I'm on board with this. We need to pick a place and a date sometime in the late spring, reserve a spot with tables and grills, and organize food and supplies. Shouldn't be too hard, just a scaled up OC cookout, really, except we have to deal with the NPS dicknoses and make sure we don't break any rules and get the right permits and all (except CC only, of course, at least for now).

ETA: There is a lot open to interpretation in the new regs, so we REALLY need to avoid pushing the envelope on rules. Don't do anything stupid and remember that if you get pinched during the event, it reflects badly on the whole group.

I would suggest Prince William Forest park or Great Falls Park. Both are close in and both have picnic facilities. Prince William Forest even has camping and we could set up a camp where folks could come by all weekend, with a VCDL table.

Jason Rogers

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

I would suggest Prince William Forest park or Great Falls Park. Both are close in and both have picnic facilities. Prince William Forest even has camping and we could set up a camp where folks could come by all weekend, with a VCDL table.
That is a great Idea. Count both me and Harper in.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

6L6GC wrote:
yeah, I know that, but I just want to see what they say. gotta throw 'em a bone ya know. I don't really care what they say, no matter what it is I just want it in writing.

If they say something to the effect of: "we are aware of the change and will abide by the new law and etc", then they arrest/hassle someone I/we will have something to send to the person's attorney.

Every little bit helps.

Come on... :dude: You didn't really think I would simply disappear from their radar, did you?

Go to:

http://www.bighammer.net/postnpsrepeal.html

and click on:

http://www.bighammer.net/images/010909_Implementation_ofConcealedFirearmsRule.pdf

Note the author. Anyone hear remember that name? :celebrate

Yes, as a matter of fact NPS doesknow about the new rule and so doALL of the park superintendents.

Tomohawk - You mean you haven't had a picnic in a National Park yet? :p

TFred

imported post

I've had this question in the back of my mind, and the new posts today as well as the report that a couple of groups in Maine have joined the lawsuits attempting to overturn the new rule have just reminded me to ask it...

If I understand it correctly, the two lawsuits are asking a judge to invalidate or overturn the concealed carry rule.

Here's my question: Can Obama direct the Department of Interior to not contest the lawsuits? Essentially, just give up? If they don't "show up" to defend the lawsuits in court, can/will the judge rule for the plaintiffs by default?

TFred

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

can he? Sure. Will he?

Think about this. When was the last time you can remember any federal agency abdicating and admitting in open court "Your honor, the plaintiff is correct, we were wrong".

Our government is incapable of admitting wrong and even when they're wrong they will go to the ends of the earth to defend it. The abdication would set a precedent that other presidents could then exercise.

In short, yes, the chief executive could instruct DOI to abdicate, but I highly doubt that would take place.