• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying long arms in a truck

noittinen

imported post

Could anyone point me to the relevant RCW's on carrying long arms in a truck? Are rear window gun racks legal if the gun is unloaded or does it have to be contained somehow? Thanks for answering this noob's question in advance! Oh, a little OT but I just applied for my cpl and expect it to be approved in the next 30 or so days.:celebrate

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Ahh another Oly gun guy, kewl!

It is legal to carry unloaded long guns in a rack, although expect the local freaks to be, umm well freaked.

That said, the law only concerns itself with the carry of LOADED long arms in a vehicle, so cased and unloaded, or unloaded and in a rack are good.

noittinen

imported post

Thank you sir! Just to make sure, is there any precedence for people with long arms located in a window being charged with brandishing? if not it looks like I'm gonna have to go to Cabela's and look to see if they sell any there. also, even more OT I'm looking to trade my stainless 10/22T for a flintlock muzzle loader, single six, or a traditional style lever action .22 of some kind.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

There are no brandishing statutes in this state. There is only "Unlawful use of a weapon to intimidate another" which is http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270

"It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

Notice the qualifiers that a weapon must be displayed in first a "manner" and then at a "time or place" which "manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons." In other words there must be actions to accompany the display of a weapon.

I would think you wouldn't have much to worry about from OPD; especially on the west side. After a bit of round and round with them the matter of open carry has been settled. I know a couple of cops who work on the west side and they are good, solid folks out of that precinct. Not much interaction with downtown cops(since the last time I was stopped for OC over a year ago anyhow:p), but again, I wouldn't worry about problems.

If OPD does give you any problems, ask for a duty sergeant, or if during business hours the current daywatch commander is Lt. Wilson. Just don't mention me, it might get ya in more trouble;)

David.Car

imported post

I think this is what you are looking for:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460
1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

noittinen

imported post

Thanks guys! I guess that answers my questions. I always read the RCW's and think that they are so vague whoever reads them can interpret them however they want. I mean if the cops at The Evergreen State College (who are good people,their bosses are just idiots) got a complaint that i was open carrying or carrying a long arm in a window rack they would be on me faster than, well pretty fast. That worries me because I don't have unlimited funds for my next little legal battle(still paying off my last one:banghead:).

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

noittinen wrote:
Thanks guys! I guess that answers my questions. I always read the RCW's and think that they are so vague whoever reads them can interpret them however they want. That worries me because I don't have unlimited funds for my next little legal battle(still paying off my last one:banghead:).
Actually they are pretty straightforward once you get down and actually look into them. Sometimes they have to be taken in full context, not just picking bits of them. But yah, they can be annoying to read at the least.

amlevin

imported post

Now that you have your answer on the law, how about giving some consideration as to whether a gun in a rack is really a good idea. You may not get any hassles from the law but I sure wouldn't turn my back on my vehicle with a rifle/shotgun displayed in a visible rack. It may be OK in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming but in the Western Washington Ghetto the gun may be history in the time it takes for you to find a cover for your Slurpee.

Why offer the temptation?

noittinen

imported post

amlevin,
Ok, I see you are from "north of seattle" which I'm guessing means Lynnwood or some other less than savory area of the puget sound area. I would not carry a long arm in a window rack in such a place much less turn my back on a car with one of my precious rifles inside. It is not a good idea with so many "urbanized" people of questionable moral fiber around. I have not and never will leave a firearm unattended in my car. As far as I'm concerned if a theif steals someones firearm left unattended in a vehicle, that person doesn't deserve to own a firearm in the first place. as for the "Western Washington Ghetto" In the regions of western washington I choose to frequent there are not many ghettoes. There are, however, acres and acres of forest and mountains that if I was to become lost or stranded in I would be greatly aided by my trusty '94 marlin.

Hammer

imported post

noittinen wrote:
amlevin,
Ok, I see you are from "north of seattle" which I'm guessing means Lynnwood or some other less than savory area of the puget sound area. I would not carry a long arm in a window rack in such a place much less turn my back on a car with one of my precious rifles inside. It is not a good idea with so many "urbanized" people of questionable moral fiber around. I have not and never will leave a firearm unattended in my car. As far as I'm concerned if a theif steals someones firearm left unattended in a vehicle, that person doesn't deserve to own a firearm in the first place. as for the "Western Washington Ghetto" In the regions of western washington I choose to frequent there are not many ghettoes. There are, however, acres and acres of forest and mountains that if I was to become lost or stranded in I would be greatly aided by my trusty '94 marlin.
LMAO at "Lynnwood or some other less than savory area of the puget sound area"
and "Western Washington Ghetto"
however "In the regions of western washington I choose to frequent there are not many ghettoes"

The definition of ghetto may be variable, but I wish I could say the same about my neighborhood. The times they are a-changin'

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I wouldn't carry a gunrack in this part of the world either. Between the weirdos who smash windows whenever they get annoyed, to the weirdos in general, carrying a gun rack just doesn't make sense. Get out into some parts of Mason County and then you have the meth cookers, users and dealers. MMmmhhhmmmm we have plenty of unsavory characters here in the South Sound as well.

compmanio365

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I wouldn't carry a gunrack in this part of the world either. Between the weirdos who smash windows whenever they get annoyed, to the weirdos in general, carrying a gun rack just doesn't make sense. Get out into some parts of Mason County and then you have the meth cookers, users and dealers. MMmmhhhmmmm we have plenty of unsavory characters here in the South Sound as well.
I probably wouldn't either. Case in trunk works pretty well for me. Got my pistol on me to shoot my way to my rifle anyhow. :D

Slugger

imported post

David.Car wrote:
I think this is what you are looking for:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460
1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.
Hmm, no loaded mags. That pretty much slows things down to a crawl. I guess ammo on stripper clips would bethe only option here?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Slugger wrote:
Hmm, no loaded mags. That pretty much slows things down to a crawl. I guess ammo on stripper clips would bethe only option here?
Loaded mags are good. Read it again...

b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

If the rifle or shotgun does not contain the magazine you can have loaded mags. Thus an AK with loaded mags not inserted in the gun is good, but an SKS with a fixed box mag cannot have any ammo in it.

Nitrox314

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Ahh another Oly gun guy, kewl!

It is legal to carry unloaded long guns in a rack, although expect the local freaks to be, umm well freaked.

That said, the law only concerns itself with the carry of LOADED long arms in a vehicle, so cased and unloaded, or unloaded and in a rack are good.
If you really want to freak them out, throw a confederate flag somewhere on or in your truck.... That will get some attention.I had a few friends who used to rack em on the truck, but don't anymore since one was loaded and accidentlyshot and killed another friend... How? I never got the details.