• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1 Handed Handgun Mechanics

grumpycoconut

imported post

marine77 wrote:
Seems to me though that a real psycho who would be willing to do something big, and take as many as they could would be able to use that tactic to their advantage, aka boobytraps.

Already been done. The Columbine shooters reportedly laid out pipe bombs and the VA Tech Shooter chained up the doors to his killing ground.Smart bombers have been laying in time delayed sucker bombs aimed at killing emergency responders since the second or third time bombs were used to kill people. Alexander the Great taught us that opening ranks and giving the horses a hole torun for gives us the opportunity to flank the charioteers and kill them. Mel Gibson showedus that William Wallace proved that if you keep your pikes hidden until the heavy cavalry is too close to pull away you can kill them in job lots. Sun Tzu, VonClauswitz, Achmed the mad bomber, include your own military thinker here________, have all taught us that tactics beget counters which beget counter counters ad infinitum.

Focusing too much on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th levels of what if can paralyze. So what's rule one for a fight? Have a plan. What's rule two? have a back up plan cause your first plan is gonna fall apart.

superdemon

imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
It looks like the tactics training pendulum has swung to the other extreme. At the risk of sounding like a Cassandra, its conceivable that some young hot shot is going to be added to the FBI's LEOKA study because he charged into a liqour store robbery or DV incident before he had cover officers because he was taught to charge in under one specific set of circumstances and he over generalized.

One riot, One Ranger gets my testosterone pumping too but I'm no superhero. Fight smart, fight effective, stack the deck in you favor every chance you get.

Remenber the rules of gun fighting!!! 1. Bring a gun 2. Bring a friend with a gun

Right, but that would be his tactical error.

We are preached to only run toward gunshots (In hindsight, that seems soooooo counterintuitive...) where an active shooter is known.

marine77

imported post

superdemon wrote:
grumpycoconut wrote:
It looks like the tactics training pendulum has swung to the other extreme. At the risk of sounding like a Cassandra, its conceivable that some young hot shot is going to be added to the FBI's LEOKA study because he charged into a liqour store robbery or DV incident before he had cover officers because he was taught to charge in under one specific set of circumstances and he over generalized.

One riot, One Ranger gets my testosterone pumping too but I'm no superhero. Fight smart, fight effective, stack the deck in you favor every chance you get.

Remenber the rules of gun fighting!!! 1. Bring a gun 2. Bring a friend with a gun

Right, but that would be his tactical error.

We are preached to only run toward gunshots (In hindsight, that seems soooooo counterintuitive...) where an active shooter is known.
That's what we were taught in the corps, when ambushed, do the unexpected, rush them.

SteveInAshand

imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
I was just in the California part of the forum and readthat one of the guys there was describing how a hand injury had deadlined his gun handling and it got me thinking about how we all might handle our pistolas with only one paw.

Things that have worked for me:

-Racking the slide or returning a locked backslide to battery

a. Hook the rear sight on your belt, boot heel or anything handy that the slide will grab and push the pistol forward therebymanipulating theslide.

b. Shove the flat top of the slide straight into the meaty part of your thigh then push in and forward until the slide releases. Only really useful in returning the slide to battery but might work ok for clearing a stove pipe.

-Magazine change

a. Drop the magazine (sticky magazines might require a shake), drop to one knee,hold the pistol between your thigh and calf, shove in a new mag, return the slide to battery, keep fighting

b. Drop the magazine, drop to both knees, hold the gun between your knees (mag well facing away from you), insert new mag, return slide to battery, keep fighting

- With both of these mag change techniques, I've seen most people stand back up before they re-engage the target. I've never understood this. I've always thought it smarter to get the gun to speaking while still down on the ground and only then get back up and moving.

-Shooting

No big tricks here, but I find that canting my hand inboard a bit helps me cope with recoil better and if I'm working left handed, it lines the sights up in front of my right eye better.

Now I know some folks might see some 4 rule violations here, like pointing a gun at one's self, but these are emergency measures where I seeadded risk as being acceptable. Additionally, I consider these safe techniques to practice live fire provided that one practices them dry first and always remembers to keep one's booger hook off the bang switch.

Who else has one handed techniques to share? How about revolvers? I've never given serious thought to one hand reloading my J frame.
MY REPLY: Let me preface my reply, I am not an LEO or highly trained Military type operator.

I "am" a guy who has been in two 1 on 1 gun on gun shoot out's or gun fights , what ever you call them and I have also been shot at more than just those two times and shot (wounded ) multiple times, including loosing my right eye, so that does not make me a proto typical gun enthusiast nor a true indepth expert like Clint Smith or Massad Ayoob ( I dig those guys ).

I am just someone who is "horrifically experienced" and I am the survivor ( not winner) no one wins just survives, so hows that, and with that.

Oh and please forgive my rambling dissertation here, I am only trying to ad something over being a just a blowhard or wandering off topic.

Most shooters don't even spend any time shooting a handgun with the "weak" hand, such as left hand if you are right handed & vise verse.

I am as good with my left as I am with my right. even with a bolt action rifle, exept fr the lack of right eye vision when leaning over a bolt rifle, but racking and jacking rounds is good on both sides.

One of you guys mentioned Murphy's Law, it goes beyond that into to physics, the fact is that your shooting hands are the lead element in line of sight and return fire trajectory, specially if you happen to be shooting with only one hand on the pistol it is directly in the return line of fire of your enemy.

The enemy shoots at your body and at your flash and thus your hands are targets.

Jumping Around A Bit: Football players on defense will tell you to watch the waist of the running back when they are wanting to make sure witch way they are gonna "move", its the last thing that will move when the body jerks into motion.

I have noticed something, the hands when below the waist are also good to watch "before" a joker tries to pull out his 9mm ace card and shoot you.

The hands most time are quicker than the eye, any magician can tell and show you that over & over, but most street killers don't have their hand on their gun like Jessie James of the old west.

Street thugs most of the time dont carry their gun in a quick snatch holstered position they are usually in deep cover in there jacket / pants so I watch the waist even when they are talking to me or in the past cussing and trying to intimidate me, I learned as a kid that words dont punch you and eyes are not laswer beams but hands can kill you when they dig into a waist band.

Back to trajectory and one hand

The Miami FBI shootout case of 20 or so years ago will attest to this point of loosing your dominant hand in an in coming rounds fire fight with a back up shotgun that had to be pumped one handed.

Also Your gun itself could take a mortal in coming round mechanical hit and you may be paddling in poo poo creek by hand ( something to think about )

What do you do if you got a broken hand "and" gun ? run, yell fire, grab your knife, wrestle or fake a heart attack ?

In that FBI shootout case there was a hapenstance opportunity & time to find cover, but that was Mini14 againts wheel gun.

Handgun fights are mostly zero cover and "in your face" close, so time is out, there is no time to re-do, its fall back to plan B , plan C, and that does not include a tactical reload in place, its improvise on the fly and hope God loves you enough to help out.

If you are lucky enough to be shooting against a guy or two who value there lives enough for them to grab cover themselves the one hand rack in a static place will be a go, otherwise there is obviously no time at 3 feet distance

I practice shooting with both hands, singularly and both in tandem reversed.

Another lessor reason to practice with both hands singularly and in tandem is that my dominant hand is also my punching aka overhand knockout hand and it is my "main" grab hand disarm and submission hold and choke hand, I practice submission, disarm with both hands of course.

I want to grab the other guys right dominant hand that is punching me or grab his almost always right hand weapon. ( yes I punch practice with both )

The "scenario" stuff gets more and more wild as a fight goes on beyond a few seconds into a minuet.

1 minuet is eternity, a lonely eternity

Even wrestling to keep my loaded gun ( I wont wrestle to keep my empty ) or wrestle to get his gun can be an extreme that could render your dominant hand useless by falling on your wrist or sustaining finger breaks in a struggle.

If You SA is compromised for what ever reason and you find yourself in a bang vs bang you could get "locked up" with a bad guy so one should actually practice moving & counter wrestling & strikes to retain your gun with a partner and a toy gun.

I know realism training is not reality as eye balls are great submission targets that you cannot practice.

Never the less you must stay with the mission at hand which is to "keep your gun" while poking eyes, head butting nose, biting hand, elbowing jaw and kneeing gut & balls . or a good option of you can is to be running like the wind if possible.

Trust me , you guys are talking about getting a round into battery with one hand, well ask yourself why do you only have one hand , how did it get that way with a handgun, well it is because your assailant f***ed up your other and now he is beating meth & whiskey fumes in your face as he jams his gun or your gun into your chest, you may very well be to close for a reload of any kind You better have a better back up plan than pitching & batting with one mit.

RUN, its a handgun fight its close, real close run , doge and reload on the run.

Did you double tap and then freeze to see what is happening ?, what is happening is the guy is still coming at you or still shooting ----> keep shoointing, dont double and then just stop to admire your center punches.

Do you guys practice running zig zag to cover and re-loading with one hand lol, hard aint it,lol.

A 20 year old street hood knows how to instantly RUN, when shots are fired they are like rabbits that know they are are being hunted they are hard as hell to hit and its hard to even know if you even hit them, so take a lesson from them and dont stand still like you do at the range.

Even the act of ducking is not staying still, watch any liquor store shootout and there is ducking like crazy, the statc O.K Coral it aint.

Range target shooting is anti gun fight training, it will teach you to "freeze" to be a target yourself.

In some way or another you should be only temporaraly slowed, myself I have never stopped when the starting gun ( mine or his ) is sounded I am moving baby, shoot shoot move shoot shoot cover shoot shoot shoot move.

The 20 year old weight lifting ex con Meth biker freak with Jack Daniels bravery and Jack the Ripper attitude aint gona give up easily or he would not be wrestling with you now "after" you double shot him right between the y and D in Harley Davidson on his Tee shirt in the 1st place now that he closed the distance ( ala wounded Cape Buffalo or Grizzly ) He has line backer tackled you in the 2st place.
( reliving the nightmare )

I Digress: Most civilian gun owners are not physically intimidating ( like me ) nor in great so called "fighting" shape ( I try to be ) and an assailant on Meth , Crack or with absolutely nothing to lose can survive your " double tap" and its an ultra short distance of a couple seconds of closing the gap and be on you in a split second trying to get you to actually swallow your own gun "as" he is dying.

Granted "switching" on purpose this is really not recommended for most or even warranted in a shooting situation, it is a back up ideal of my own volition , none the less being as "ambi" as possible , carrying a knife and being a well rounded fighter is the best way to be fully prepped for Mean Mr Murphy .

I hope this added value to this one handed thread

grumpycoconut

imported post

Damn Steve. Yours is the kind of experience that is entirely too rarely heardin most gun circles. Congrats on being perforated and still being around to tell the story. Extra congrats and many many thanks for being willing to tell us about it.

You are absolutely right about why you need to train to fight with both hands. In cop gun training circles its even got a nice little label, "Weapon Fixation." We look at the thing that can hurt us and bullets follow eyes. I can't tell you how many times i've been shot in the knuckles and fingers with sims during force on force. I can tell you that those hits out number solid torso or head hits.

The rest of your post about real life zombies and how hard they are to put down is something that someone should sticky and highlight with big flashing arrows so that all the armchair gunfighters can get a glimpse of bloody reality.

Whatever situation you were in that put you muzzle to muzzle not once but twice must have been a stone bitch and I hope that you've found a more peaceful place.

Thanks again and big respect.

SteveInAshand

imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
Damn Steve. Yours is the kind of experience that is entirely too rarely heardin most gun circles. Congrats on being perforated and still being around to tell the story. Extra congrats and many many thanks for being willing to tell us about it.

You are absolutely right about why you need to train to fight with both hands. In cop gun training circles its even got a nice little label, "Weapon Fixation." We look at the thing that can hurt us and bullets follow eyes. I can't tell you how many times i've been shot in the knuckles and fingers with sims during force on force. I can tell you that those hits out number solid torso or head hits.

The rest of your post about real life zombies and how hard they are to put down is something that someone should sticky and highlight with big flashing arrows so that all the armchair gunfighters can get a glimpse of bloody reality.

Whatever situation you were in that put you muzzle to muzzle not once but twice must have been a stone bitch and I hope that you've found a more peaceful place.

Thanks again and big respect.
Thank You for taking the time to read my RR=ramble-rant , Yes i have moved away from so Calif and now in southern Oregon in a small resort like town with 80% new age liberals they are all scared of me lol, when I go into the whole food store they know dam well that I am a "carnivore" lol.

Thank you for your comment on the need to learn and practice ambidexterity and more over be awake to fixation and the need to lean on reality over un-realistic expectation.

I will go into detail later in the "Real Life" situation section when I feel the need to re-live completely in text about on the one that gave me my bad vision, a "re"-attached nose after it took my eye out ( imagine that ) and the other one that gave me a *screwed up elbow ( *yes you can catch 22's by blocking them with your arm lol )

I cannot over emphasize that buying a cool handgun and shooting 2 boxes of Remington Wal Mart a week is NOT a 1 shop stop & shot full of "Thug Be Gone" cure for packs of tattooed Hyenas .

Granted there is a large percentage of much older and truly handicapped CC & OC folks who cannot get into the gym or dojo and up there physical ability beyond the level it is at now, but I would venture to say that the majority of us who are 21 to 55 are "not" in the best of shape.

I would also venture to say that many of us out here actually "use" guns as an excuse to be lazy, we ride on the coat tails of Dan Wesson and think that He will do all the work when that is a dangerous gamble.

It reminds me of the guys who drive these huge monster ultra lifted trucks with 44 " monster mud tires into the deep snow.

When I lived for many years in a California ski resort town, they would get "STUCK" if not completely rolled over on to there roof.

They relied on a machine to do all the the work for them, and did not come "fully" equipped to the environment.

They were not equipped mentally, there A.S = Awareness of the Situation was lacking , they did not back up i.e chains.

When they did get stuck they would hop out into the deep snow pot belly and all and start gasping as they shovel ( borrowed my shovel ) in the 7,500 ft thin air, sweating and gasping as I felt an obligation to help them and did most times.

They where over confident instead of just practiced and confident , they had no real experience in deep snow and snow storms , they brought lots of ego and no plain old common sence.

If any of you ( my friends here ) if you purposefully do not get into decent cardio-aerobic and muscular shape, if you purposefully do not bring a knife "and" your gun at all times with spare loaded mags in the car or your fanny pack, if you do not get hand to hand martial arts training *Brazilian JuJitsu (* which old folks, children and fail women can take and enjoy) or MuaiTai, if you dont also go get friearms CQB training from someone Clint or some place like Guncite then WHY ?

Why are you stalling, just waiting to get yourself into bad bad trouble and not be able to protect your loved ones ?

I know all of you dont mind dying for what is right, dying for your family, friends and neighbors.

I know that 99% of you will step up, step in and jump into the fight what ever fight that may be, but you mite end up LIVING for what you did wrong or failed to prepare for, living crippled for relying on only 1 level of defense-/-offense with marginal preparation at best.

Im off the the gym ;)