• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

va permits

ballester

imported post

well i am just throwing this out there...am i the only one that think with as much as it cost to get...well maybe they could issue CC permits that were not so damn cheap??? i mean for those that have seen a non-resident Va permit..its hard plastic and even has a pic of you on it...my NH non-resident is hard plastic and has pretty colours on it for only 20 bucks...sorry i just think there wouldnt be an issue with the courts fussing and draging there heals on issueing new permits to folks who washed theres...dog ate it..etc...thats all. i am grateful that we even get one in VA...but thats just one little thing that bothered me.

thank you for your time..now im going to go outside and see if they fixed a pothole by my house...two years down...anyday now..anyday:banghead:

Ore

imported post

Yep, it certainly is annoying. My last one (from VA Beach) was about as thin as tissue paper and cut just big enough that you couldn't fit it in a standard wallet pocket -- very annoying.

Most recent one (Fairfax County) is actually the right size, but still a flimsy little thing. You'd think they could make it like a drivers license or something. But hey, I guess they have to have some way of poking us in the eye, right? :D

Nozoki

imported post

Yeah, I accidentally washed my wallet the other day with my permit in it. Luckily it dried out without too much fading and wrinkling, but a plastic one would be better. Can we laminate these ourselves or is that against some code?

edited for spelling

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Nozoki wrote:
Yeah, I accidentally washed my wallet the other day with my permit in it. Luckily it dried out without too much fading and wrinkling, but a plastic one would be better. Can we laminate these ourselves or is that against some code?

edited for spelling

You can laminate it.

There's a guy who does the Richmond gun show with a machine for that. I think that he charges a few dollars.

Darylvb

imported post

I made several copies of my permitand went toOffice Depot and boughta do-it-yourselflaminatepackage and laminated them.

TexasNative

imported post

I suspect that the reason VA Non-resident permits (and NH, too) are of higher quality is because they're issued by their respective State Police instead of local governments.

curtiswr

imported post

I think it costs something around 40 cents if you go to a Kinko's and get them to laminate a small card for you.

Riana

imported post

It must be a VA thing. I know when we moved, I sent in our change of address information for DMV, and they sent us postcards, with instructions that we were to cut along the dotted lines and keep the information with our license. I seriously question the survival of ANY piece of paper in my wallet (we won't even TALK about hubby's wallet) for 4 years (until my DL expires), so I laminated them both.

Sounds like I need to dig out the laminator again for my CHP, hm?

darthmord

imported post

No laws / policies against laminating our concealed permits. When I picked up mine from the Norfolk Clerk's office, they offered to laminate it for me for $1. That was a no brainer. Saved me the hassle of going someplace to do the same.

Once laminated, I took it home and trimmed the plastic enough that it would match the slots in my wallet for credit cards and the like.

My permit card was made of some card stock. Not very flimsy other than the paper it was made of would tear in a fuzzy manner should it get ripped.

Armed

imported post

I for one, agree, and this has always bothered me about the Virginia permit. With minimal time and effort, I could produce an exact replica on my PC.

As an OPTION, we should be able to carry our permit down to the local DMV and get a photo-ID permit that would supercede the current requirement to have a valid state-issued photo ID along with the cheap, flimsy piece of scrap paper that says were legit.

Of course, in a perfect world - we wouldn't need a damn permit in the first place.

nova

imported post

Armed wrote:
I for one, agree, and this has always bothered me about the Virginia permit. With minimal time and effort, I could produce an exact replica on my PC.

As an OPTION, we should be able to carry our permit down to the local DMV and get a photo-ID permit that would supercede the current requirement to have a valid state-issued photo ID along with the cheap, flimsy piece of scrap paper that says were legit.

Of course, in a perfect world - we wouldn't need a damn permit in the first place.
My non-resident Maine permit costs 60 bucks, has almost the same requirements as VA (they also want a birth certificate) and they put your picture on the reverse side of the nice plastic card they issue. Virginia's cost 50 bucks and it's a friggen piece of paper with no photo.

Chuckles

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
I think it costs something around 40 cents if you go to a Kinko's and get them to laminate a small card for you.

When you handed the card to Kinko's for laminating, did you switch to open carry? Because, technically, you did not have the permit on your person for those few minutes... :)

Bah Humbug

imported post

How long does it take to get the CHP in the mail for Fairfax County? What about Prince William County? My friend and I had fingerprint cards done, but none were requested for either counties. Strange?

TFred

imported post

Bah Humbug wrote:
How long does it take to get the CHP in the mail for Fairfax County? What about Prince William County? My friend and I had fingerprint cards done, but none were requested for either counties. Strange?
Not strange. Each location is allowed to decide for themselves whether or not they require fingerprints to be submitted.

This is not a good thing, but it is not strange.

TFred

curtiswr

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
curtiswr wrote:

When you handed the card to Kinko's for laminating, did you switch to open carry? Because, technically, you did not have the permit on your person for those few minutes... :)
I never said anything about a CC permit. I just referenced a small card. I always OC, I don't have a CHP.

virginiatuck

imported post

It costs as much as it does in order to pay for all the things that make it come to be, not just the paper on which its printed. I don't want it to cost any more than it does already.

A few of the things that come to mind: Paper materials for the applications; the people who have to write and standardize the application; the ink used to fill out the application; running the background checks; the manilla envelope you get from the Sheriff's department that contains the background check results and your application; paying all the people invlovled in getting the contents of that manilla envelope from you to the clerk; mailing the permit to you in a white envelope along with a printed copy of relevant laws; mine came with a hefty paperclip, too.

A fee of up to $100 may be collected for the non-resident permit, while a resident permit may cost no more than $50 total.

You bring up an interesting question, though. If your permit is damaged such that it is illegible, or if it is lost entirely, do you have to start over from scratch?

There's only one section of code that references the issuance of a replacement permit and you must provide proof of a *new* address as well as present the original permit.

----
18.2-308:
<snip>
K1. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The clerk of court shall forward the permit holder's new address of residence to the State Police. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5, and the clerk of court issuing the replacement permit may charge a fee not to exceed $5. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit pursuant to this subsection shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.
<snip>
----

Riana

imported post

Heavens, that seems like a lot of stuff.

It may depend on the county, of course. I'm just gathering everything together for mine.

Paper materials for the applications
(I printed my own via the Internet - do I get a discount?)

the people who have to write and standardize the application
(still needed)

the ink used to fill out the application
(minimal, but I'll grant you that)

running the background checks
(still needed)

the manilla envelope you get from the Sheriff's department that contains the background check results and your application
(I get this?)

paying all the people involved in getting the contents of that manilla envelope from you to the clerk
(I'm taking it directly to the court house Monday - to the clerk, though there may be other office folk involved, I suppose)

mailing the permit to you in a white envelope along with a printed copy of relevant laws
(I have to provide an SASE to get my stuff back)

And I have to provide everything in triplicate (I guess to save the expense of copying).

paramedic70002

imported post

Armed wrote:
Sounds great, I like it. Problem is, DMV is pushing licenses back from 5 to 8 years just to keep customers (citizens) OUT of their offices.

I know they used to provide this type of service to LEOs, not sure if they still do.

-----------------

If you wash your permit, just hand the LEO your wadded pulp!