• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

va permits

virginiatuck

imported post

Riana wrote:
the manilla envelope you get from the Sheriff's department that contains the background check results and your application
(I get this?)

paying all the people involved in getting the contents of that manilla envelope from you to the clerk
(I'm taking it directly to the court house Monday - to the clerk, though there may be other office folk involved, I suppose)

mailing the permit to you in a white envelope along with a printed copy of relevant laws
(I have to provide an SASE to get my stuff back)

And I have to provide everything in triplicate (I guess to save the expense of copying).
You're right, it depends on the county. Loudoun county was pretty simple. First I went to the Sheriff's office. They gave me an application which I filled out on the spot. I provided one primary ID with photo and a secondary ID with name and address (driver's license and voter registration card) along with my old Pennsylvania hunter education card. They made copies then gave all of that back to me. I was in and out of the Sheriff's office within about 20 minutes. I made my way down the road to the Clerk of the Circuit Court with that large, sealed, manilla envelope that contained everything the Clerk would need. I didn't dare break the seal so I can only speculate that it contained the results of my background check and copies of the application and ID. I gave the Clerk's clerk the envelope with $40 and got a receipt. She said "You will get your permit in the mail." It took 23 days before I had the permit in my hand, YMMV. According to county records, for at least the last 3 years Loudoun county has issued 100% of its permits within 45 days.

So Loudoun county does it $10 cheaper and requires very little work on the applicant's part. I just filled out an application, waited several minutes, and carried an envelope to the Clerk. The hardest part was digging through my closet to find my hunter education card.

As for the question I asked earlier, I see that Fairfax county does address the issue of a lost permit. I have not found the same for Loudoun County.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-CWP-20.pdf

zoom6zoom

imported post

(I have to provide an SASE to get my stuff back)
No, you don't. This is an extra-legal requirement which has been discussed in other threads.

The letter included with my permit from PWC recommended that I have it laminated. And yes, they paid for the envelope and stamp despite telling me that I had to provide one.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Loudoun county was pretty simple. First I went to the Sheriff's office. They gave me an application which I filled out on the spot. I provided one primary ID with photo and a secondary ID with name and address (driver's license and voter registration card) along with my old Pennsylvania hunter education card. They made copies then gave all of that back to me. I was in and out of the Sheriff's office within about 20 minutes. I made my way down the road to the Clerk of the Circuit Court with that large, sealed, manilla envelope that contained everything the Clerk would need. I didn't dare break the seal so I can only speculate that it contained the results of my background check and copies of the application and ID. I gave the Clerk's clerk the envelope with $40 and got a receipt. She said "You will get your permit in the mail."
Why let them see or copy IDs? - you know all that crap is now a public record at the courthouse right? And anybody can copy it all and put it on the Internet.

By statute you need only fill out the form, bring it in with proof of competency, and hand it in. No ID necessary - get it notoized before you go. No need to see the police unless your locality requires prints - somthing you should fight.

if nobody fights this stuff, it will go on. You fight by refusing to comply, delivering gthe paplicatuion to the Clerk, and walking away.

virginiatuck

imported post

Mike wrote:
By statute you need only fill out the form, bring it in with proof of competency, and hand it in. No ID necessary - get it notoized before you go. No need to see the police unless your locality requires prints - somthing you should fight.

The Sheriff's office was my notary. By using them, I paid no additional fee; only the $40 to the Clerk. Don't they have to *see* my ID in order to notarize the application?

Come to think of it, I misspoke about the copying of my IDs. And I'm not just saying that. The lady only looked at my ID prior to notarizing the application. In fact, there was no second ID requirement. I was confused. Please forgive me.

In the future, I'll try to be more diligent and try not to post any information here that may be inaccurate. I should have just posted this instead of trying to type out every detail from memory. I did exactly this, except I picked up my application from the Sheriff's office instead of the Clerk of the Circuit Court:
http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1424
How do I obtain concealed weapon permits?
First, you will need to pick up an application at the Clerk of the Circuit Court. Then bring your completed application with your Driver's license and proof of training (for new applications) or your old permit (for renewals). A criminal history check and driver's transcript will be completed while you wait. You will receive a sealed packet to be returned to the Circuit Court. The Court will collect the $40 fee. You should receive your permit within a few weeks.
-------------------

What do you think about the driver's transcript, Mike? Do you think Loudoun county is within the law by including that? Loudoun county also requires a list of addresses for the past five years. In my case, I had to provide not only my current address but one previous address. Was that legal? I was surprised by that requirement because the state law only states that there is no length of residency requirement, but I didn't see any real harm in providing the address after I was told that it was used to conduct the background check. And by not providing it, I feared that they may have been able to construe that I submitted false information on the application; The false information being that I lived at the address for the last five years. You got me thinking about it now, was it even legal?

if nobody fights this stuff, it will go on. You fight by refusing to comply, delivering gthe paplicatuion to the Clerk, and walking away.
You forgot the part where you fork over the $$$. Or is withholding the $$$ the fighting part? :D

Why let them see or copy IDs? - you know all that crap is now a public record at the courthouse right? And anybody can copy it all and put it on the Internet
You're referring to this, I take it:
§ 17.1-208. Records, etc., open to inspection; copies; exception.
Except as otherwise provided by law, any records and papers of every circuit court that are maintained by the clerk of the circuit court shall be open to inspection by any person and the clerk shall, when requested, furnish copies thereof, except in cases in which it is otherwise specially provided. The certificate of the clerk to such copies shall, if the paper copied be recorded in a bound volume, contain the name and number of the volume and the page or folio at which the recordation of the paper begins and may charge a fee therefor pursuant to § 17.1-275. No person shall be permitted to use the clerk's office for the purpose of making copies of records in such manner, or to such extent, as will interfere with the business of the office or with its reasonable use by the general public.

17.1-293 at least prevents the Clerk itself from posting sensitive information to the Internet. Though like you said Mike, there's nothing to stop Joe the Plumber from accessing just about any document that crosses the desk of the Clerk of the Circuit Court.

17.1-208 is unfortunate for everyone who has a VACHP, not just someone who may have accidentally allowed sensitive information to be placed into a public court record. As many probably remember the debacle of the Roanoke Times publishing a list of CHP holders. Who needs the State Police to get a list anyway? There is nothing in the law that would stop Joe the Plumber from building his own list. I suppose that CHP holders' background checks as well as their driving records (in Loudoun County) are now public record, too. That is, if they weren't already.

At least 17.1-208 begins with "Except as otherwise provided by law" so all we need is a law that excepts information associated with CHP applications. How hard could that be? :? Or maybe someone can find a law that already does. Does anyone have a link to the Attorney General's offical statement regarding CHP information dissemination from the Roanoke Times incident?

I understand that this is an OC forum. Is this too far off topic? I apologize if it is. If it is, what would be an appropriate forum? Or does this simply belong in a new thread? Please advise.

TFred

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
At least 17.1-208 begins with "Except as otherwise provided by law" so all we need is a law that excepts information associated with CHP applications. How hard could that be? :? Or maybe someone can find a law that already does. Does anyone have a link to the Attorney General's offical statement regarding CHP information dissemination from the Roanoke Times incident?
Unfortunately, the answer to your first question turns out to be "very hard." :X

Here is the link to the Attorney General's opinon from the Roanoke Times incident:

http://www.oag.state.va.us/OPINIONS/2007opns/07-027-Nutter.pdf

The opinion clearly states in both the introduction and the summary that the AG believes that the existing law specifically reserves the use of CHP information for official purposes only, which would definitely preclude release to a non LE person, and especially a newspaper. As we all know, this opinion, and the corresponding portion of the law that drives it, are universally ignored by Clerks of the Court all over the Commonwealth of Virginia.

The problem is that some anti-gun newspaper editors, who hide behind farce of "public service", feast once per month on the newly issued permits, publishing enough personal residence information to ensure that criminals know exactly which homes to invade or break in to, to steal guns.

Since newspapers also endorse candidates, or their opponents, it has thus far proven impossible to pass legislation to specifically close this wide open leak of private information.

TFred

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Chuckles wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
I think it costs something around 40 cents if you go to a Kinko's and get them to laminate a small card for you.

When you handed the card to Kinko's for laminating, did you switch to open carry? Because, technically, you did not have the permit on your person for those few minutes... :)
I did. I think I mumbled something along the lines of..."Oh, I guess I better take my jacket off since I gave my permit."

I remember it well...the "Crazy Man!" look from the Customers and cashiers at Office-Max is one of my fondest memories....

:cool:

Bah Humbug

imported post

In case anyone is interested, it took exactly 4 weeks to process a friend's CHP application in PW Co (+2 days for mail delivery). You weren't kidding about the piece of paper it's printed on. Glad it didn't rain when the postman delivered it otherwise it would be wet and ugly - correction... uglier.

I'll refer him to Kinkos for the lamination, but the time he stuffs it into his wallet and yank it out later, the most if the ink on the card will have already rubbed off. :quirky

Still waiting on Fairfax Co.... 3.5 weeks and counting

my19nme

imported post

Hey, applied for my CHP in Virginia Beach on the 9th of Feb. Hoping to receive it in the next couple of weeks. Will let everyone know if their still using the toilet paper for the permit.