• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Free Lance Star gets it!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Does this mean that I can use the FLS for something other than lining the kitty litter pan?

Good opinion piece but the scales are still tipped heavily the other way.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

I couldn't tell from the on-line version who authored this piece. The FLS web page has a list of Editorial Staff, which actually, has taken a slight bit of a turn towards the pro-gun side in recent years. Not that they are pro-gun by any stretch, but they are certainly less anti-gun than they used to be.

Having said that, Richard Amrhine, listed as a Real Estate editor, is about as anti-gun as you can get. He does occasionally author anti-gun opinion columns, although how that relates to his job with Real Estate is beyond me. I know that he has been with the paper for a very, very long time.

The big question for the Free Lance-Star remains how can they justify the regular publication of the names and streets-of-residence of new CHP holders. It confuses me, because having noted a slight turn in recent years, and confirmed by today's opinion piece, seemingly toward a modicum of reason, publishing these names does not help anyone. Certainly not the holders, whose privacy, property and very safety is put seriously at risk, and not even the staunch anti-gun crowd, who claim they want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, even though publication of names and streets, along with 60 seconds at google/yahoo/mapquest provides a map and directions to homes which are almost guaranteed to have guns inside for stealing.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Does this mean that I can use the FLS for something other than lining the kitty litter pan?
You may not want to advertise that fact. Someone may call Animal Control under the claim that you are treating your feline inhumanely by putting that rag beneath them! :)
She enjoys making her opinions known even if there is a slight taint in the air - sort of like some posters to various threads here. :)

Yata hey

AtackDuck

imported post

TFred wrote:
I couldn't tell from the on-line version who authored this piece. The FLS web page has a list of Editorial Staff, which actually, has taken a slight bit of a turn towards the pro-gun side in recent years. Not that they are pro-gun by any stretch, but they are certainly less anti-gun than they used to be.

Having said that, Richard Amrhine, listed as a Real Estate editor, is about as anti-gun as you can get. He does occasionally author anti-gun opinion columns, although how that relates to his job with Real Estate is beyond me. I know that he has been with the paper for a very, very long time.

The big question for the Free Lance-Star remains how can they justify the regular publication of the names and streets-of-residence of new CHP holders. It confuses me, because having noted a slight turn in recent years, and confirmed by today's opinion piece, seemingly toward a modicum of reason, publishing these names does not help anyone. Certainly not the holders, whose privacy, property and very safety is put seriously at risk, and not even the staunch anti-gun crowd, who claim they want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, even though publication of names and streets, along with 60 seconds at google/yahoo/mapquest provides a map and directions to homes which are almost guaranteed to have guns inside for stealing.

TFred

The FLs has explained their publishing the listof CHP holders, as a public service. This was first time I ever heard of a newspaper publishing a list of potential victims for thieves, as a public service. The question does beg: who is the FLS servicing? I think we know.

I think I'll mosy over to the Clerk of Circuit Court and ask to see the FOIA form that FLS filed to obtain the info, each month. If there isn't one, I'll want to know why. Hmm, I may have to file a FOIA form to get a FOIA form. Maybe I can get a public service.:what:

TFred

imported post

AtackDuck wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
The FLs has explained their publishing the listof CHP holders, as a public service. This was first time I ever heard of a newspaper publishing a list of potential victims for thieves, as a public service. The question does beg: who is the FLS servicing? I think we know.

I think I'll mosy over to the Clerk of Circuit Court and ask to see the FOIA form that FLS filed to obtain the info, each month. If there isn't one, I'll want to know why. Hmm, I may have to file a FOIA form to get a FOIA form. Maybe I can get a public service.:what:
Since it is considered a public record, I don't believe a FOIA request is required. It's just the same if you wanted to view the deed to your neighbor's house, or if you wanted a list of all the houses that sold last month.

I actually had a nice chat with the clerk in King George a few months ago. From that conversation, I took that he is not pleased with handing out the information, but feels he is bound by law to do so, if requested.

TFred

AtackDuck

imported post

TFred wrote:
Since it is considered a public record, I don't believe a FOIA request is required. It's just the same if you wanted to view the deed to your neighbor's house, or if you wanted a list of all the houses that sold last month.

I actually had a nice chat with the clerk in King George a few months ago. From that conversation, I took that he is not pleased with handing out the information, but feels he is bound by law to do so, if requested.

TFred
Each CHP is an individual record. Perhaps it should be required that each record needs a request, with a $ amount attached for court costs (as a public service;)). I'll try to talk with Victhis week.