• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk CHP permit process inconsistant

Bullbuster

imported post

Took buddy and his wife today to get there CHP permits in Norfolk today. He's active duty she is ex-active duty and a current reservist. Not only did they want proof of weapon proficiency from both but also finger prints from both.

When my wife and I got ours in Norfolk they didn't ask for weapon proof or finger prints. I know of 3 co workers that have gotten theirs in the last couple months and same goes for them no proof or finger printing as they are active duty.

I don't know what the issue is as too why the changed or proof even for active duty.

Has anyone else recently run into this issue or know of anyone who it has happened too.

I did ask the clerk about the change and she said it has always been like this. Same goes for the lady at the police station on Va Beach Blvd where I took them to get prints taken. WhenI informed her that my wife and I's wasn't the same or those of my co workers she wanted my info and said they would have to review the application to verify it was done correctly. I didn't give it to her. But they only charged my friend and his wife $45 for the permit. I paid $50 and thought it was still the same.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Took buddy and his wife today to get there CHP permits in Norfolk today. He's active duty she is ex-active duty and a current reservist. Not only did they want proof of weapon proficiency from both but also finger prints from both.

When my wife and I got ours in Norfolk they didn't ask for weapon proof or finger prints. I know of 3 co workers that have gotten theirs in the last couple months and same goes for them no proof or finger printing as they are active duty.

I don't know what the issue is as too why the changed or proof even for active duty.

Has anyone else recently run into this issue or know of anyone who it has happened too.

I did ask the clerk about the change and she said it has always been like this. Same goes for the lady at the police station on Va Beach Blvd where I took them to get prints taken. WhenI informed her that my wife and I's wasn't the same or those of my co workers she wanted my info and said they would have to review the application to verify it was done correctly. I didn't give it to her. But they only charged my friend and his wife $45 for the permit. I paid $50 and thought it was still the same.
Answers all of your questions here:
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

Live fire - if that is what you mean by "proficiency" is not required.

Yata hey

Bullbuster

imported post

Grapeshot

You are correct in relation to the "Live Fire". The nice clerk at the Clerks office did refer to it as "Proof of weapon proficiency" when she asked for it.

I will send a letter to the VSP asking about the inconsistency in the process. Thanks for the link.

darthmord

imported post

All they required of my wife & me was:

1. Proof of training (DD-214 or Firearms Training certificate from a commercial course)
  2. Fingerprint card (cost is already part of the application fee)
  3. $45
I provided those three things and 13 days later, my permit was ready for pickup. When I last looked, those all meet the requirements of the VSP (yes, I know the fingerprint thing is locality discretion).

Bullbuster

imported post

For the most part that was the same with my wife and I. Just showed out ID's, handed the lady our applications and $100 and she got hers like 10 days later mine a few days after that. Same goes for my coworkers ID's, app's, and money. Not the case this time. They didn't want to make a stink of it just get it done.

I did send off a letter to VSP to get there take on it all.

Bullbuster

imported post

I'll give them a couple days for a reply to see what they have to say before I send another one. I guess my biggest thing with it is is are all the folks working the counter at the clerks off on the same page. Are someasking for hard copy proof regardlessand other that know the military exemption passing on the hard copy proof and just going with a active duty ID and or DD214. Same goes with the finger printing. Being this was the first time I knew anything about them doing this. Anyone I know thats is looking to get one thats served I'll just tell them to expect the full ordeal.

Bullbuster

imported post

Still reply back about my e-mail. Will make a phone call today and see what happens. Will probably the Norfolk Clerks office as well and talk to a manager.

Has anyone here recently applied for a permit?