• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off-duty cop leaves gun on table, naive adult neighbor plays with gun shooting LEO's bother in law

david.ross

imported post

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/articles/1783034-Off-duty-Pa-officers-gun-used-in-accidental-shooting-that-killed-man/

sorry, I wrote kid in the title, I mean't to write man.

By Stephanie Farr and Dafney Tales
Philadelphia Daily News
PHILADELPHIA — As first responders and police flooded a Mayfair street Sunday night during the Super Bowl, many nearby residents suspected that a game-day rivalry had gone wrong.
But, in reality, the mayhem on Bleigh Avenue near Crispin Street allegedly started with an off-duty cop placing a gun on a table and tragically ended with another man being charged with the murder of the cop's brother-in-law.
Christopher Donaghy, 27, the son of a Philadelphia police officer, had invited about eight friends and family members to his home on Bleigh Avenue for a Super Bowl party in his basement, according to police.
Donaghy's brother-in-law Christopher Surma, 29, an off-duty Plymouth Township police officer at the party, allegedly placed a gun he owned on a table sometime during the game, city homicide Capt. James Clark said.
Another guest at the party, Ronald Parncutt, 49, who lives two doors away from Donaghy, picked up the unattended weapon and "started toying with it," Clark said.
The 9 mm semiautomatic Glock, which lacked an external safety, discharged once while in Parncutt's hands, striking Donaghy in the back around 8:52 p.m. while he watched the game, Clark said.
Donaghy was taken to Frankford Hospital-Torresdale, where he was pronounced dead at 10:09 p.m., said Officer Tanya Little, police spokeswoman.
According to a police source, Donaghy was the son of John Donaghy Jr., an officer with the 14th District, headquartered on West Haines Street near Germantown Avenue, in Germantown.
Parncutt, whom police described as "very, very" cooperative and "extremely" remorseful, was arrested and charged with murder and related offenses early yesterday morning.
Surma, the 2 1/2-year Plymouth Township Police Department veteran who left his gun unattended, has not been charged.
Pam Ewing, 45, who lives cata-corner from Donaghy and Parncutt, said that Parncutt and his family would always attend the "big, loud, noisy" parties at Donaghy's house.
"Those two houses definitely functioned together," she said. "They would combine parties."
Ewing said that Parncutt seemed "very nice" and would clean up outside after parties, picking up cigarette butts and firecracker remnants.
Clark said that he couldn't say why Surma had taken the gun, which was not his service weapon, out of the holster and placed it on a table, but said that the District Attorney's Office is looking into the case to see if charges should be filed.
Plymouth Township Police Chief Joseph Lawrence said that Surma has been placed on administrative duty pending an internal investigation.
Disciplinary measures will hinge on the outcome of the Philadelphia investigation, he said.
"Like everybody, I think it's a tragic thing," Lawrence said. "It's all family and friends involved."
Lawrence said that Surma is "pretty stressed" over what happened to his sister's husband.
Clark said that leaving a gun unattended or playing with a gun you've found are just things "you can't do."
"It's a total tragedy that something like this would happen, you know, during a festive time as the Super Bowl," he said. "It's just something that should not have ever happened."
Neighbor Angel Nejman, 20, said that he didn't learn until yesterday morning what caused the police activity that kept him running between his door and his television Sunday night.
"I just thought somebody got into a fight over the game or some stupid stuff," he said. "Now that I know, that just ruins the Super Bowl."
Copyright 2009 Philadelphia Daily News

We teach kids to not mess or play with guns if they see them laying around, obviously we need to start telling stupid adults as well, "Don't touch my guns." I'm like a broken record when it comes to telling people who are around me, "Don't touch my guns, ever, they're all loaded and a pull of a trigger will discharge the round."

jchantelau

imported post

I love how the say Glock 9mm, had no external safety....the gun should have never been placed on a table period that's the first thing and the second, don't touch it! Terribly sad.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Very irresponsible thing for the cop to do. If you're gonnaintroduce a weapon intothe presence of strangers... clear it and secure it 'somewhere' at least. As for the clown who 'fooled with it' 'n actually pulled the trigger... ya can't fix stupid. Surprise , surprise... they really do 'shoot'! 'Wonder how drunk ya gotta be to do that?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
SNIP Very irresponsible thing for the cop to do.
Lies, all lies. No cop would ever do anything so irresponsible.

Guns are incredibly dangerous.This is why many police opposecitizen possession and carry, and rightfully so. Only police are qualified tocarry, by virtue of air-tight psychological testing,extensive training, and deeply instilledobligation to protect their community.

Of course, the police officer didn't leave his gun lying about. Much less, with live ammunition in it.

I predictthe facts will come to light that the officer is taking the blame for someone else. In an open-handed act ofcharity this self-lessofficer is protectinga friend or family member, knowing the other personwould be crucified in court, while he, a police officer, might only receive a slap on the wrist for the death of a citizen.

I do not understand why the rest of you cannot see through thesefalsenews reports and believe anything socompletely unlikely as a police officer endangering others.With his gun, no less.

(CitSatiricalStatist)

Jizzzle

imported post

no external saftey? hmm you would think that the fact that the only way you can get a glock to discharge is to pull the trigger would be good enough... no amount of playing with it minus pulling the trigger can discharge it minus a severe mechanical malfunction/break. Would the media please get educated? Seriously. Freedom of speech or not they have the responsibility to the people to relay accurate and correct information. people take thier word as gods truth.

also, if you are having a party keep ur gun on you or not at all. and also give people the "briefing". And another thing is dude, i would never touch someone elses gun without A. asking permission B. Clearing it. And another thing.. guns and alcohol? it wasn't stated if anyone was under the influence. It's a super bowl party. Who doesn't drink at a super bowl party? put up ur guns or don't drink. and don't throw it on the coffee table.

MeBaby

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Guns are incredibly dangerous.This is why many police opposecitizen possession and carry, and rightfully so. Only police are qualified tocarry, by virtue of air-tight psychological testing,extensive training, and deeply instilledobligation to protect their community.

Of course, the police officer didn't leave his gun lying about. Much less, with live ammunition in it.

I predictthe facts will come to light that the officer is taking the blame for someone else. In an open-handed act ofcharity this self-lessofficer is protectinga friend or family member, knowing the other personwould be crucified in court, while he, a police officer, might only receive a slap on the wrist for the death of a citizen.

I do not understand why the rest of you cannot see through thesefalsenews reports and believe anything socompletely unlikely as a police officer endangering others.With his gun, no less.

(CitSatiricalStatist)
Paul Blart, are you impersonating Citizen???? :shock::shock::D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MeBaby wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

(CitSatiricalStatist)

:D

No. Citizen is impersonating a statist. Its actually kind of fun. It beats figuratively yelling and shaking your fist.

I hope Tomahawk takes up the satirical pen. He'd be devastating. His insights are already very good.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

MeBaby wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

(CitSatiricalStatist)

hahaha! That's exactly what I thought.

Very sad. Unfortunate that the idiot that picked it up wasn't the one to get hurt.

Parncutt, whom police described as "very, very" cooperative and "extremely" remorseful, was arrested and charged with murder and related offenses early yesterday morning.

wtf? Why not manslaughter? Murder? Did he plan out his stupidity?

redlegagent

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Very irresponsible thing for the cop to do. If you're gonnaintroduce a weapon intothe presence of strangers... clear it and secure it 'somewhere' at least. As for the clown who 'fooled with it' 'n actually pulled the trigger... ya can't fix stupid. Surprise , surprise... they really do 'shoot'! 'Wonder how drunk ya gotta be to do that?
I grew up with guns in the house. My dad was a state trooper for 27 years and a court baliff for 11 more years after that. When he would come home, first thing, he would always lock his service pistol up like clock work. I'm sorry, butmany of this generation of cops are getting very sloppy and have terrible attitudes. :(

shad0wfax

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/articles/1783034-Off-duty-Pa-officers-gun-used-in-accidental-shooting-that-killed-man/

[SNIP]

[SNIP]
The 9 mm semiautomatic Glock, which lacked an external safety, discharged once while in Parncutt's hands, striking Donaghy in the back around 8:52 p.m. while he watched the game, Clark said.
[SNIP]
Copyright 2009 Philadelphia Daily News

Man that article is poorly worded. It should read more like this instead: "Parncutt negligently discharged the 9mm Glock while he had itpointed at Donaghy's back, resulting in Donaghy being shot."

The "external safety" would be the moron's trigger finger. The gun didn't discharge by itself. The moron forced it to discharge. This is just another piece of editorial journalism that will be used by politicians who want to regulate the manner of firearm construction and continue attempts tolitigate gun-makers until they go out of business.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:banghead: Stupid, stupid, stupid tragic loss of life. I went to a SB party at the home of friends who also carry. While we will often disarm and leave a sidearm laying on a table for comfort in each other's homes with a small group of our closest friends like when laying around watching a movie, because of the larger group at the SB party and people who are not part of the regular carrying/shooting group, we all stayed holstered. We didn't have to discuss the matter, we all just each made our own decision that it was more responsible. Now how is that a bunch of regular citizens can figure out that in a group of people at a SB party it is more responsible to stay armed even if slightly uncomfortable but a trained LEO doesn't recognize this?

Just further tragic proof that responsible and wise safe handling, storage, use, etc of a firearm is dependent on the person, not the job or formal training. Now if only our elected officials and the heads of the various LEO organizations that typically speak against citizen carry could figure out this simple fact we could all get on with life instead of having to fight for our constitutionally protected RKBA continuously.

r6-rider

imported post

the super bowl party i went to, i just concealed. i thought about leaving my pistol in my friends car but then i thought about the neighborhood i was in and decided it was better to just take it with me. then when i got in the house i realized it would probly be better if no one even knew i had a firearm so i just kept it a secret, sure enough the whole party went off without a problem. i trust me and ONLY me, no way im about to leave me sidearm somewhere unattended for some idiot to grab and ruin both our lives

i may of been in the wrong for not informing the owner that i had a gun, but sometimes its better to just let things flow then go by whats "legal"

Devils Advocate

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I like how you lay it all on the cop.

An adultat the home picked up a gun that did not belong to him and pointed it in an unsafe direction and pulled the trigger.

The adult citizenwas the real problem here.

Not a good idea for thecopto leave it out but there is probably no law that says he cannot unless there are kids around. I am sure his department will create a policy to stop this in the future. All because of one dumb citizen.

That being said, it appears that some of us citizens cannot be trusted with guns, huh?

Devils Advocate

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
CARELESSNESS was the real problem here!
No, an adult citizen picking up something that other adult citizensknow to be dangerous and then playing with it like it was some toy is the problem.

How many of us have placed a loaded gun on the table at the shooting range expecting anyone to keep their hands off?

And then how many times have we walked past loaded guns at the range belonging to other people? Has anyone hereever just walked up and picked up a gun belonging to someone else?

NO!! Unless you are a complete moron and want your ass beat!

Maybe the cop thought the adults in the room would have known better. Maybe he was too trusing. So much for giving adult citizensany credit.

darthmord

imported post

I have to side with DA here. People need to respect private property. My kids all know they are NOT to touch any of my firearms without my express permission beforehand.

Even moreso if the house in question is the home of the police officer. He should be able to leave his firearm where he damn well feels like leaving it. It's his HOUSE.

What goes on in one's house is one's own business, not anyone else's.

What I see as faults...

1. Carelessness on the part of the PO. He should have properly secured it as a personal safety measure. Either on his person or in a safe or something. Free floating around on a table doesn't cut it. Property owners have been charged for creating / allowing unsafe conditions on their property where people got hurt.
  2. Stupidity on the part of the neighbor. You don't go putting your grubby mitts on other people's stuff.
  3. Stupidity Part Deux. Putting your fat little finger on the trigger of a firearm you have never fired before. You simply don't do it.
The times I've been to the range, I've NEVER handled someone else's gun without their express approval first. It just ain't right or proper to do otherwise. If I have to leave my firearm on the table in the range, I make sure it's empty / safe and the magazines are ejected. If you are going to do something bad with *MY* gun, I want the video proof to clearly show you loaded the weapon prior to using it.