• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to Have loaded? Safety on? off?

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Hello, I will be taking a trip to Nevada this weekend for the first time with a holstered weapon. Being from California I am unfamiliar to the correct way to have it holstered or in my car.

Edit: the only questions I now haveare..

Can I have the chamber loaded while OC'ing?

I am only heading up Sunday morning until Monday morning, does this classify me as journeyman or do I still have to check in my weapon to the local sheriff?

Thank you ahead of time to anyone who knows the answers 100% certain.

CowboyKen

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
Hello, I will be taking a trip to Nevada this weekend for the first time with a holstered weapon. Being from California I am unfamiliar to the correct way to have it holstered or in my car.

Edit: the only questions I now haveare..

Can I have the chamber loaded while OC'ing?
Yes, there are no restrictions in Nevada (except that you may not have a chambered round in a long gun, a hunting regulation).
I am only heading up Sunday morning until Monday morning, does this classify me as journeyman or do I still have to check in my weapon to the local sheriff?
The only requiement to register handguns, in Nevada, is for Clark County residents (in residence for 60 days).
Thank you ahead of time to anyone who knows the answers 100% certain.

See the Nevada Revised Statutes: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Nrs/

Firearms law is at: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Nrs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec253through: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Nrs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec369

If you need info about Clark County (Las Vegas) ordinaces or have additional questions let us know.

Ken

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Ive read a lot through these forums and I have seen mention of "checking in" your firearm and receiving a blue card? Though I also heard something about if your "passing through" then you dont have to because your a journeyman or something.

varminter22

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
Ive read a lot through these forums and I have seen mention of "checking in" your firearm and receiving a blue card? Though I also heard something about if your "passing through" then you dont have to because your a journeyman or something.

"Blue card" = registration in Clark County.

It is only required of Clark County residents and visitors staying for 60 days or more.

wayneco

imported post

This is free America on this side of the border, whatever you learned in CA about gun laws, forget it once you come over here, we have very minimal, pro-gun laws. :)

The proper way to transport it in your car in the entire state of Nevada is anywhere but concealed on your person. lock and load (yes, you can carry loaded in your car here) and put it in your glove box or center console. If you want to carry it on your person and you don't have a concealed carry permit you may carry it loaded in a belt holster, just as long as it's not covered by your clothing.

I'm a refugee from California and very, very happy to for the last nine years to call myself a Nevada resident -- and delighted to carry my weapon whenever it suits my fancy.