• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin OC Poll

Within the State of Wisconsin, Where Have You OC'd? Do Not Include While Hunting / Target Shooting

• 1 - Nowhere - I have not OC'd in Wisconsin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - Only inside my residence

• 3 - Only within the boundaries of my yard/property in a rural area

• 4 - Only within the boundaries of my yard/property in an urban area

• 5 - Outside the boundaries of my yard/property in a rural area

• 6 - Outside the boundaries of my yard/property in an urban area

• Total voters

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Okay, let's lay it on the line and see how many people (sorry, non-LEOs only) who live in or visited Wisconsin have OC'd in Wisconsin, and where they OC'd.

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've carried to....

Walgreens, WalMart(several), PicknSave, Blockbuster, Gas Stations, George Webbs, Church, El Rey, Several private residences not including my own and on public sidewalks not within 1000ft from any school. All in Wisconsin.

Edit: I forgot Menards:shock:

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sadly to say I have only carried around my property dammit I want to carry other places. Also I am now being iffy on carrying my weapon around my house and yard since I heard about what happened to brad. I just don't know anymore!! wtf I am worried to carry on my own lawn and house!?? I am 19 I can't afford to be arrested or anything :banghead: but I still want to be able to be protected without worrying about being arrested!

I hope to join you guys in open carrying at more places soon!!

Ben

smithman

imported post

OC around my neighborhood whenever the wife and I go for a walk. OC occasionally on short in-out trips in stores. OC when doing yard work and stuff around the house.

GreenCountyPete

imported post

doesn't loading and unloading every time you get in and out of the car get old . i know it does when i am hunting , it may just be me and my single action revolver but does anyone else feel like that.

i do figure that most of the time when someone sees a person open carry there is an assumption they are a LEO

carry on the campain to make people comforable with seeing open carry for when it is no more unusual that say a boy with long hair then we have succeeded in a huge social engineering project

Rick Finsta

imported post

GreenCountyPete wrote:
i do figure that most of the time when someone sees a person open carry there is an assumption they are a LEO
This is key for us to remember: Openly Carried, HolsteredGun = Good Guy. The number onequestion I get is "what's with the gun, are you a cop?" Indeed, the history of our concealed weapons prohibition (not taking into account the racial considerations that I'm sure were paramount) was that anyone that needed to hide their weapon was up to no good. We need to reinforce this stereotype that people openly carrying weapons are to be assumed trustworthy.

waldox05

imported post

I only open and conceal carry inside of my house. I cant afford to get arrested and have my gun confiscated. Maybe when I have a few less bills I'll buy a 100 dollar trash gun and try to open carry. Hell, I know I want to open carry everywhere I go.

WIG19

imported post

oh, I see. Just pick one...

In other words off-prop urban is considered the more non-permissive environment... maybe you need a category for places like Waukesha (rofl) and West Allis (more rofl).

:cool:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

WIG19 wrote:
oh, I see. Just pick one...

In other words off-prop urban is considered the more non-permissive environment... maybe you need a category for places like Waukesha (rofl) and West Allis (more rofl).

:cool:
They're not more "non-permissive" since, in Wisconsin, one has the same legal right to carry in an urban area as in a rural area. However there is, at least, a greater perceived risk in an urban area since there is greater chance of encountering someone who wants to take exception to the practice in more densely populated places. (Not to mention the greater actual risk, of wandering into a so-called "school zone" within urban areas.)

I consider an "urban" area, generally, to be those areas within the municipal limits of a village or city. Of course that isn't a perfect definition, since there is probably a difference between carrying in downtown Madison versus, say "downtown" Ferryville.* And parts of the City of Fitchburg are as rural as you will find in southern Wisconsin. Meanwhile, carrying in the Township of Somo in Lincoln County is probably not very similar to carrying in the Town of Madison in Dane County-- which is as urbanized as the City of Madison. So, lacking a precise definition, one has to try to make the best possible fit when choosing how to characterize the environment in which one carries.

* My take on this: The average person in Madison is probably less likely to notice the gun, but more likely to take exception to it; while the average person in Ferryville is more likely to notice the gun and less inclined to care about it.

Waukesha and West Allis? I'm afraid they may defy all attempts at categorization. :p

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Maybe people new to the OC experience in Wisconsin would like to respond to the poll so we can keep it up to date.

Thanks

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Adding in. I OC'ed in West Allis at the PIck N Save Hwy 100 and Cleveland while Iwent grocery shopping. May 1st 5:15 til 5:45pm. And I do have to say, it was unusual.... The filet in the meat case were not all that great. Usually they have good steaks but today they didn't look the best. Settled for some ground turkey burger instead. Service was exellent though! Did you know they give you 5 cents off of your order for every re-usable grocery bag you use? Who knew!

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I should change my vote. I have open carried in little towns in northern Wisconsin, but not in anything bigger. Then again, I seldom am in the larger towns. Another thing to consider is that it would be much easier to accidentally run afoul of the insane "school zone" law in the urban areas.