• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying to Florida in April - with my handgun

tapper95

imported post

I've been doing the research but I wanted some experience from people who have done this recently. I will be flying out of Norfolk or NNews/Burg airport and flying into Ft. Walton Beach, FL. I have a Virginia resident CHP, so I am legally allowed to carry concealed (and I know, not open)in FL, but my main question is with dealing with the airport. Should I give myself more than the 1-2 hours? I have a strudy Honeywell steel lockbox with keypad and key that I use if I need to secure my gun in my car (like picking up my son from school).

Does anyone have a handy sheet like the ones some members carry to hand out to interested/ignorant individuals that is specific for flying and TSA regulations? I've heard things like TSA agents illegally (or becase of outdated knowledge)marking baggage tags on firearms cases with a big red F so any idiot can tell something is special about the contents. Iplan onplacing the lockbox in a larger checked piece of luggage for the added security of notadvertising an important looking locked container. I want to be able to carry while in FL, but I want to make sure I am not going to hang myself up in the process of getting there. I will also be travelling with my wife and 4 year old son, so any extra waiting or hassle is multiplied... My wife accepts and supports my choice to carry but I don't want to create a situation of "I knew it would make this trip a pain in the butt"

TYII for any info...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

tapper95 wrote:
I've heard things like TSA agents illegally (or becase of outdated knowledge)marking baggage tags on firearms cases with a big red F so any idiot can tell something is special about the contents.
At one time, it was a large neon green sticker that said FIREARM

You want advice? Leave it at home, or kiss it goodbye. I'd hate to fly with a gun and risk it in the hands ofa disgruntled baggage handler, or worse TSA (They Stand Around)

jegoodin

imported post

I fly with hand guns all the time. It really isn't a big deal. Make sure the ammo is in the original factory package. Magazines should be empty. It has to be in one locked, hard sided case. If your luggage is hard sided and can be locked then it counts. I usually fly with a padlocked Glockcase in a roller dufflebag. I've had no issues and I'vedone it literally dozens of times.

Edit... AndI find it rarely addsmore that 10 minutes to my time at the counter or TSA scanner.

kenny

imported post

jegoodin wrote:
I fly with hand guns all the time. It really isn't a big deal. Make sure the ammo is in the original factory package. Magazines should be empty. It has to be in one locked, hard sided case. If your luggage is hard sided and can be locked then it counts. I usually fly with a padlocked Glockcase in a roller dufflebag. I've had no issues and I'vedone it literally dozens of times.

Edit... AndI find it rarely addsmore that 10 minutes to my time at the counter or TSA scanner.
Ditto on the above comments. However check with your particular airline for their exact procedure. TSA will never know your bag has a firearm unless they x-ray at your airport. Some just scratch and sniff.

You will need to go to the counter, not the kisok or on-line check-in. My airline just has me open my suitcase, checks to make sure the box is locked and gives me a tag to throw in my suitcase. They don't even bother to look in the box.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Another to pile on: Flying with a handgun is no big deal. I've been doing it regularly for about 4 years now with no issues whatsoever. Depending on your airline you may have to waita few extra minutes for TSA to check over your bag once you have declared your firearm and ammo and have passed the ticket counter, but it may take 10 minutes tops (at least that's what I've experienced). Follow the TSA rules and everyone should be on top of the procedure or be able to easily get someone who is.

I keep my gun in a lock box and keep the lock box and ammo inside a locked suitcase, which is not marked externally in any way to indicate that it holds a firearm. You can do the same, provided you use TSA approved locks on the bag. Make sure you keep your keys on you at all times and do not let them go with the bags.

By the way most of my flights in the past year have been to Florida and back and carrying at least one gun every time.

Chuckles

imported post

They don't do that firearm sticker thing anymore, largely because people kept getting their handguns stolen by the you-know-who we all "love" and "trust" so much for handling our luggages.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You're right Chuckles. (Welcome to the clan, btw)

You should get to watch the TSA put your bag through an xray machine and put directly on to a belt without any stickers or other notifications at all. Once its on the belt you can leave for your gate. The 'handling' goons will not be able to distinguish your bags from the rest, which gives you better odds that it won't be tampered with.

BTW, sucks to conceal in FL. BTDTGTTS.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Another to chime in to say that I fly with mine all the time and have had no issues. As was said earlier, it adds about 5 or 10 minutes to the checkin process, but other than that, no problems. FWIW, my experience has beenonly with Southwest.