• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying from VA to FL in April - With my handgun

tapper95

imported post

I posted this under VA, but I am copying it here too incase any of you FL folks have any poignant info to pass on...

I've been doing the research but I wanted some experience from people who have done this recently. I will be flying out of Norfolk or NNews/Burg airport and flying into Ft. Walton Beach, FL. I have a Virginia resident CHP, so I am legally allowed to carry concealed (and I know, not open and that includes "printing")in FL, but my main question is with dealing with the airport. Should I give myself more than the 1-2 hours? I have a strudy Honeywell steel lockbox with keypad and key that I use if I need to secure my gun in my car (like picking up my son from school).

Does anyone have a handy sheet like the ones some members carry to hand out to interested/ignorant individuals that is specific for flying and TSA regulations? I've heard things like TSA agents illegally (or becase of outdated knowledge)marking baggage tags on firearms cases with a big red F so any idiot can tell something is special about the contents. Iplan onplacing the lockbox in a larger checked piece of luggage for the added security of notadvertising an important looking locked container. I want to be able to carry while in FL, but I want to make sure I am not going to hang myself up in the process of getting there. I will also be travelling with my wife and 4 year old son, so any extra waiting or hassle is multiplied... My wife accepts and supports my choice to carry but I don't want to create a situation of "I knew it would make this trip a pain in the butt"

TYII for any info...

Barnett3006

imported post

What airline are you flying? TSA has basic regs for flying with guns but airlines also set there own rules aswell, so before I can be of real help I would need to know this.

TSA's Regs are here http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

I fly with guns at least twice a year, only problems I have ever had was from lack of consistent training on TSA's part. So I print out the above page and keep it with me along with a printout of the airlines rules. I also call the locale TSA office and the airlines office and make sure that there hasn't been any last minute rule changes that haven't made it to the website yet.

You shouldn't need any extra time at the check-in counter (though I have no experience in your airport), all you have to do extra is tell them your traveling with a gun and then you will have to sign a paper stating that the gun is unloaded.

Last time I flew with guns I stuffed a Saiga 308, a Romainian AK-74 and an AR-15 into the same long gun case and I had 2 of my carry pieces in a lock box in my luggage plus ammo for all five...needless to say, the lady at the check in counter was :what:, LOL!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've flown out of Norfolk and NewNewWilly airports with guns on a number of occasions. As the other poster said, its a good idea to print out the TSA regs and those of your airline as well. I wouldn't plan on adding more than 5 minutes or so to the routine, and in most cases it is well less than that. I've had to show the clerk that the gun is empty. (If you put a cable lock through the action, even a gun-naive clerk will understand it can't "go boom".) Typically I have to sign a tag saying that it is unloaded. The tag goes in the locked box, and the suitcase is closed. I lock that with one of those TSA locks which yhey can open with a master key. I accompany the luggage over to TSA as they put it on the conveyor for checked baggage. I've never had them ask to open the case again. Once it goes through, I go to my boarding gate.

So many Virginians (and Floridians) travel with guns, that it is really no big deal for the airlines or TSA. The only possible delay might come from some clerk or TSA agent who just started the job a few days ago and might need a little hand-holding.

FL2011

imported post

Above posters pretty much covered everything. Read over and keep a copy of the TSA rules.... AND go to the airlines site and see if they have any specific rules of their own and be familiar with them. Ex: When I flew out to Vegas a few months ago it was on Airtran and they wanted ammo to be in a separate checked bag from the firearm.

But in regards to flying into Florida you shouldn't have any problems. Just know the guidelines and have a copy with you in case the ticket agent isn't familiar with them. When you're checking in you'll have to declare it at the counter and they'll have you open the case (make sure you have the key handy) and show them that it's unloaded. So lock the slide back and/or put a cable lock through it..... they don't want you to go handling it there trying to pull the slide back while at the counter.

After that they'll just put the tag in with the firearm and either walk you down to a TSA agent that'll take your bag and scan it, or they'll just take it from there at the counter and that'll be that, I've had both happen.

Beyond that brush up on FL's off limit carry places and have a good trip!

Thundar

imported post

In Virginia it is illegal to have a firearm inthe entireterminal building, not just the secure area except for checked baggage. So don't open the baggage and put it on your hip until you exit the terminal building.

OC4me

imported post

I've never had a problem flying out of, or into, Tampa, can't say anything about other airports. Best advice has already been given and that is to have printouts of the regulations and airline policy beforehand.

You will have to open your suitcase to insert the orange firearm declaration tag, but you should not have to open the firearm case (at least I didn't - the tag just goes on the inside of the luggage so that if later opened it is visible to the TSA inspector).

The airline representative will then walk you and your baggage to the TSA security checkpoint.

I was so nervous the first time that I had to force myself to read something while waiting in line to prevent jitters, but nothing bad happened and now it is no big deal!

At the counter, you don't need to utter the potentially misunderstood"I have a gun' statement. Just tell the agent that you need one of those orange 'firearms declaration tags' for your luggage and go from there.

What upsets me about the whole fly-with-guns bit is that it is a bit impractical (if not illegal) to re-armbefore you leave the terminal, leaving you vulnerable for the next leg of your journey.

mrmike

imported post

Everything I read here sounds right. I flew from Ohio to Fla a few weeks ago and had no trouble. I do have a good double lock gun case and after checking it (they made me put the tag in the gun case) I then put the gun case into my golf club case and then put a TSA lock on that. I watched the TSA people scan it to make sure there wasn't any problems.

On a side note, I must have misread the Fla laws as I OC'ed several times in various places and no one seemed to notice. Lucky me I guess.:lol:

rmodel65

imported post

mrmike wrote:
Everything I read here sounds right. I flew from Ohio to Fla a few weeks ago and had no trouble. I do have a good double lock gun case and after checking it (they made me put the tag in the gun case) I then put the gun case into my golf club case and then put a TSA lock on that. I watched the TSA people scan it to make sure there wasn't any problems.

On a side note, I must have misread the Fla laws as I OC'ed several times in various places and no one seemed to notice. Lucky me I guess.:lol:

:shock: well then lol

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

mrmike wrote:

Yikes! Dodged a bullet on that one!

To the O.P. - People have pretty much covered it. It really depends on the airport that you are at, I've been through airports that only take about 1 minute for the TSA person to check to see if it was unloaded then have me sign the unloaded slip. Definitely make sure to use TSA locks.

Then again, when I was leaving out of Colorado Springs, it took almost 20 minutes because he had to check for explosives because he was getting an alarm on my suitcase. I wanted to say, "no kidding dumbass there's a gun and ammo in there," but I just kept my mouth shut. :lol:

You can also carry ammunition in your check on baggage as long as it is in the manufacturer's box.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Flew into and out of LAX (Los Angeles), I didn't have any problems. Took about 5 minutes; the agent had to call someone over to do it. He just had me show him it was empty. I also had the ammo in the same locked case with an empty magazine next to it. Ammo does not need to be in the box the ammo came in. You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber such as cardboard, wood, metal boxes, or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. I used a small box that some .357 ammo came in (I flew w/ a Glock 23) DO NOT use a magazine; the container needs to completely enclose the ammo.The firearm must be in a locked, hard-sided container. I put my handgun case in my luggage bagged which was then checked. I told the person running it through the x-ray/ baggage check machine that there was a declared firearm inside. The people behind me were shocked, to say the least :cool:. I was instructed to wait until the bag was cleared. It was cleared with no problems at all.

The TSA Regs are here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

I would also check the airline's website for any other directions (as mentioned above).