Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can I buy a handgun with a warrant

Post imported post

I have a misdemeanor warrant for unpaid fines in michigan I now live in louisiana. I am wondering if I can still buy a handgun and get a concealed handgun permit. I can't afford to pay off the fines yet almost 10,000. I really need a gun for protection I am an electrician and work in some really bad parts of town(i live in new orleans and have been robbed at knife point three times) I have no felonies and no violent offences. the fines were due to some bad checks long story but I went to court on all the cases and just have not paid it all off yet

Post imported post

From form 4473, question 11.d: "Are you a fugitive from justice?" It doesn't specify that the complaint has to be a felony. I guess you can't know for sure unless/until you submit to a NICS check. It depends on whether they reported this warrant up the legal informational food chain. I expect it would be a problem, yes.

-ljp

Post imported post

cant you get on a payment plan or somethin? why would you not take care of a warrant, you know theyll find you at the most inconvenient time

but yea you wont be able to buy from a FFL

Post imported post

I have been making payments but they told me they would not release the warrant untill it was all paid off

Post imported post

ryan26 wrote:
    I have a misdemeanor warrant for unpaid fines in michigan I now live in louisiana. I am wondering if I can still buy a handgun and get a concealed handgun permit. I can't afford to pay off the fines yet almost 10,000. I really need a gun for protection I am an electrician and work in some really bad parts of town(i live in new orleans and have been robbed at knife point three times) I have no felonies and no violent offences. the fines were due to some bad checks long story but I went to court on all the cases and just have not paid it all off yet
    No. Don't even try. You can be arrested under a fugitive warrant when they do a background check. I suggest you make a deal for a payment plan asap.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Buy used, you can get a great gun cheaper then new and don't have to worry about the check. That is as long as private transfers are legal there, I don't know if they are or not.

Post imported post

ryan26 wrote:
    I have been making payments but they told me they would not release the warrant untill it was all paid off
    hows your credit? if i were you id take out a personal loan to get that taken care of. personally i couldnt live with having a warrant floating over my head.

as for the private sales, yes you could do that but if you were to get caught with it i think you would be charged for possession and you could get who ever sold it to you in trouble

Post imported post

ryan26 wrote:
    I hate to say this, but in myopinion your #1 priority should be paying off any fines you owe to a government agency before you even think about buying anything other than life's absolute necessities.

I suggest you budget enough for frugal food, shelter and clothing and divert the rest of your budget towards paying off those legal fees.

Don't try to buy a gun now, or you very well may lose your right to own guns permanently.

Post imported post

Post imported post

I was under the opinion that a gun isan essential part of life. I agree that first and foremost is paying off the warrants for bad checks but he has been robbed three times at knifepoint. ThereforeI am not in a hurry to claim that a gun is a non-essential part of his needs.

Post imported post

not if the gun will bring him more trouble then good. when i am forced to leave my gun behind in certain situations, i always have my knife on me. it may not be as good as a gun but its better then nothing

Post imported post

If your dead because you don't have a gun, your gonna have a hard time paying off your warrant. But I guess at that point it wouldn't much matter.

Post imported post

ryan26 wrote:
    They'll find you alright, the minute your name comes up on a background check, LE will most likely be notified of your location, BAM!! you're put in an embarrasing situation, just because you hoped something would go away if you ignored it long enough,

Why don't you do the responsible thing as a citizen, and settle your debts, and help the rest of us keep the pride and respect that we as gun owners try to maintain!!

Post imported post

I have been paying as much of the fines as I can but i still have the warrant. I am on a payment plan but they won't release the warrants untill its all payed off. so its not like I am trying to get out of it or let it go because I know no matter how long I wait it will still be there. I was pulled over about a month ago here in louisiana and nothing comes up on the police computer. I do know that its a misdemeanor warrant and they won't come across state lines to pick me up.

Post imported post

Carnivore wrote:
    ryan26 wrote:
    They'll find you alright, the minute your name comes up on a background check, LE will most likely be notified of your location, BAM!! you're put in an embarrasing situation, just because you hoped something would go away if you ignored it long enough,

Why don't you do the responsible thing as a citizen, and settle your debts, and help the rest of us keep the pride and respect that we as gun owners try to maintain!!
    carnivore when did I say I thought it would go away if I ignored it long enough because it looks as though I have not been ignoring it I have been paying it! I obviously have not been ignoring it at all. I am doing the responsible thing by paying it but why should I be denied the right to protect my myself I served this country honorably in the US ARMY I was shot at everyday but I always had my weapons to even the odds that's all I want now is to even the odds Thank you!

Post imported post

thats a tough call. because its a misdemeanor then yea its probly not going to be in their system, but if something did happen which involved you defending yourself i could see things getting pretty messy. are you actually thinking about open carry or would you just conceal it?

btw if you want to re-enlist i can get you a nice 60k bonus and since your prior service itd come pretty quick

Post imported post

I do not believe I can renlist I broke my leg three years ago and now I have a steel plate in my leg. Maybe with letter from the General maybe. Private message me and tell me more.

Post imported post

PMed

Post imported post

Call your local FFL, give em a sit-rep and they should be able to answer you.

Get a gun one way or another, if you want to OC, maybe wait on that until this gets cleared up. If you have to use it, that warrant shouldn't be a big deal, because you'll still be alive.

Post imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:

Get a gun one way or another, if you want to OC, maybe wait on that until this gets cleared up. If you have to use it, that warrant shouldn't be a big deal, because you'll still be alive.
    Since you seem to be advocating his breaking of the law, would you be willing to accept responsibility for any trouble he gets into as a result?

We may not like the law, we may choose to ignore the law as a form of civil disobediencetoprotest, but we must also realize that sometimes there are unpleasant consequences for those actions.

ryan26
    Rather you like it or not, you most likely can't legally buy a gun at this time. I would stronglyadvise against breaking the law. This could lead to even more, serious trouble.

Since you are currently disarmed through the consequences of your past (not judging right or wrong, just the way it is) you may be forced to relocate to a safer area. If I had been robbed three times, I would be seriously reconsidering just how tied I was to any specific area, armed or not.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Gordie wrote:
    bordsnbikes wrote:

Since you seem to be advocating his breaking of the law, would you be willing to accept responsibility for any trouble he gets into as a result?

We may not like the law, we may choose to ignore the law as a form of civil disobediencetoprotest, but we must also realize that sometimes there are unpleasant consequences for those actions.

ryan26
    Rather you like it or not, you most likely can't legally buy a gun at this time. I would stronglyadvise against breaking the law. This could lead to even more, serious trouble.

Since you are currently disarmed through the consequences of your past (not judging right or wrong, just the way it is) you may be forced to relocate to a safer area. If I had been robbed three times, I would be seriously reconsidering just how tied I was to any specific area, armed or not.

+1

"Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Do I really need to put up that thing that says I'm not a lawyer? Do you think he will blindly follow all advice given to him? Or perhaps will he think about things both ways and make a decision? Are you a big boy that takes responsibility for your own actions? Or do you blame everyone else for everything that happens in your life? Do you spill hot coffee on your lap and sue McDonalds because they didn't warn you that the hot coffee you just ordered, knowing full well that you wanted hot coffee, just might be hot? I'm a big boy and if I take someones advice that screws me, guess who's fault that is? Mine.

Bottom line, don't carry your gun and you could wind up really dead. I'd take my chances.

" ...but we must also realize that sometimes there are unpleasant consequences for those actions."

Are you actually suggesting that I don't know breaking the law can have consequences? I really had no idea, thanks for the heads up.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Gordie wrote:
    ryan26
    What would the crime be if he purchased a handgun FTF? I would think you'd need to know what regulations his state has regarding FTF transfers before you can make such a statement (and I can't seem to figure out what state he's from).

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

diesel556 wrote:
    Gordie wrote:
    ryan26
    What would the crime be if he purchased a handgun FTF? I would think you'd need to know what regulations his state has regarding FTF transfers before you can make such a statement (and I can't seem to figure out what state he's from).
    IANAL But,

Most of this thread has been about a standard transaction between the OP and a FFL dealer. On the forms required by such a transactionthere are a few relevant questions related to criminal history. If the OP answers the questions truthfully, any reasonable dealer is not going to sell him a handgun. In fact it is likely that the required criminal history check will show the standing warrant if one os run. If he lies on the form and tries to buy and the background shows the warrant, he would be subject to arrest just for lying on the form, let alone any laws relating to attempting to obtain a firearm while a prohibited person.

A private transaction has its own issues. While he could obtain a firearm in that way without the background check being an issue, if he gets caught with the firearm, or worse yet he has to use it, the warrant WILL become an issue.

In my view, he should not attempt to obtain a firearm until he clears up the warrant.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    (1)Most of this thread has been about a standard transaction between the OP and a FFL dealer.

(2)A private transaction has its own issues. While he could obtain a firearm in that way without the background check being an issue, if he gets caught with the firearm, or worse yet he has to use it, the warrant WILL become an issue.

(3)In my view, he should not attempt to obtain a firearm until he clears up the warrant.
    (1) Which is why I was asking what the crime would be for an FTF transaction

(2) What would the issue be? How do you know that without knowing what state he is from, and what limits they place on firearms ownership and FTF sales?

(3) I'm not advocating that he break any laws. I would simply like to know what laws he would break by doing so. I do agree that his fine needs to be paid off (which he is already working on).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast