• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can I buy a handgun with a warrant

ryan26

imported post

I have a misdemeanor warrant for unpaid fines in michigan I now live in louisiana. I am wondering if I can still buy a handgun and get a concealed handgun permit. I can't afford to pay off the fines yet almost 10,000. I really need a gun for protection I am an electrician and work in some really bad parts of town(i live in new orleans and have been robbed at knife point three times) I have no felonies and no violent offences. the fines were due to some bad checks long story but I went to court on all the cases and just have not paid it all off yet

Legba

imported post

From form 4473, question 11.d: "Are you a fugitive from justice?" It doesn't specify that the complaint has to be a felony. I guess you can't know for sure unless/until you submit to a NICS check. It depends on whether they reported this warrant up the legal informational food chain. I expect it would be a problem, yes.

-ljp

r6-rider

imported post

cant you get on a payment plan or somethin? why would you not take care of a warrant, you know theyll find you at the most inconvenient time

but yea you wont be able to buy from a FFL

ryan26

imported post

I have been making payments but they told me they would not release the warrant untill it was all paid off

Gunslinger

imported post

ryan26 wrote:
I have a misdemeanor warrant for unpaid fines in michigan I now live in louisiana. I am wondering if I can still buy a handgun and get a concealed handgun permit. I can't afford to pay off the fines yet almost 10,000. I really need a gun for protection I am an electrician and work in some really bad parts of town(i live in new orleans and have been robbed at knife point three times) I have no felonies and no violent offences. the fines were due to some bad checks long story but I went to court on all the cases and just have not paid it all off yet
No. Don't even try. You can be arrested under a fugitive warrant when they do a background check. I suggest you make a deal for a payment plan asap.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Buy used, you can get a great gun cheaper then new and don't have to worry about the check. That is as long as private transfers are legal there, I don't know if they are or not.

r6-rider

imported post

ryan26 wrote:
I have been making payments but they told me they would not release the warrant untill it was all paid off
hows your credit? if i were you id take out a personal loan to get that taken care of. personally i couldnt live with having a warrant floating over my head.

as for the private sales, yes you could do that but if you were to get caught with it i think you would be charged for possession and you could get who ever sold it to you in trouble

shad0wfax

imported post

ryan26 wrote:

I hate to say this, but in myopinion your #1 priority should be paying off any fines you owe to a government agency before you even think about buying anything other than life's absolute necessities.

I suggest you budget enough for frugal food, shelter and clothing and divert the rest of your budget towards paying off those legal fees.

Don't try to buy a gun now, or you very well may lose your right to own guns permanently.

PT111

imported post

I was under the opinion that a gun isan essential part of life. I agree that first and foremost is paying off the warrants for bad checks but he has been robbed three times at knifepoint. ThereforeI am not in a hurry to claim that a gun is a non-essential part of his needs.

r6-rider

imported post

not if the gun will bring him more trouble then good. when i am forced to leave my gun behind in certain situations, i always have my knife on me. it may not be as good as a gun but its better then nothing

Carnivore

imported post

ryan26 wrote:

They'll find you alright, the minute your name comes up on a background check, LE will most likely be notified of your location, BAM!! you're put in an embarrasing situation, just because you hoped something would go away if you ignored it long enough,

Why don't you do the responsible thing as a citizen, and settle your debts, and help the rest of us keep the pride and respect that we as gun owners try to maintain!!

ryan26

imported post

I have been paying as much of the fines as I can but i still have the warrant. I am on a payment plan but they won't release the warrants untill its all payed off. so its not like I am trying to get out of it or let it go because I know no matter how long I wait it will still be there. I was pulled over about a month ago here in louisiana and nothing comes up on the police computer. I do know that its a misdemeanor warrant and they won't come across state lines to pick me up.

ryan26

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
ryan26 wrote:

They'll find you alright, the minute your name comes up on a background check, LE will most likely be notified of your location, BAM!! you're put in an embarrasing situation, just because you hoped something would go away if you ignored it long enough,

Why don't you do the responsible thing as a citizen, and settle your debts, and help the rest of us keep the pride and respect that we as gun owners try to maintain!!
carnivore when did I say I thought it would go away if I ignored it long enough because it looks as though I have not been ignoring it I have been paying it! I obviously have not been ignoring it at all. I am doing the responsible thing by paying it but why should I be denied the right to protect my myself I served this country honorably in the US ARMY I was shot at everyday but I always had my weapons to even the odds that's all I want now is to even the odds Thank you!

r6-rider

imported post

thats a tough call. because its a misdemeanor then yea its probly not going to be in their system, but if something did happen which involved you defending yourself i could see things getting pretty messy. are you actually thinking about open carry or would you just conceal it?

btw if you want to re-enlist i can get you a nice 60k bonus and since your prior service itd come pretty quick :D

ryan26

imported post

I do not believe I can renlist I broke my leg three years ago and now I have a steel plate in my leg. Maybe with letter from the General maybe. Private message me and tell me more.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Call your local FFL, give em a sit-rep and they should be able to answer you.

Get a gun one way or another, if you want to OC, maybe wait on that until this gets cleared up. If you have to use it, that warrant shouldn't be a big deal, because you'll still be alive.

Gordie

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Call your local FFL, give em a sit-rep and they should be able to answer you.

Get a gun one way or another, if you want to OC, maybe wait on that until this gets cleared up. If you have to use it, that warrant shouldn't be a big deal, because you'll still be alive.

Since you seem to be advocating his breaking of the law, would you be willing to accept responsibility for any trouble he gets into as a result?

We may not like the law, we may choose to ignore the law as a form of civil disobediencetoprotest, but we must also realize that sometimes there are unpleasant consequences for those actions.

ryan26
Rather you like it or not, you most likely can't legally buy a gun at this time. I would stronglyadvise against breaking the law. This could lead to even more, serious trouble.

Since you are currently disarmed through the consequences of your past (not judging right or wrong, just the way it is) you may be forced to relocate to a safer area. If I had been robbed three times, I would be seriously reconsidering just how tied I was to any specific area, armed or not.