• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Airports, Guns, Government Buildings

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If the county/city owns the airport, and we cannot carry, even encased, in a government building, how do we take firearms on the plane?

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Federal law states we can take firearms from one place we can legally posses them to another and prescribes the manner in which it is to be done. I forgot the law. Someone will cite it soon and we cancheck it against State Statute 941.235 which is thefirearms prohibited in public buildings statute. I would find it but I am very sleepy. We'll pick this up tomorrow.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
If the county/city owns the airport, and we cannot carry, even encased, in a government building, how do we take firearms on the plane?
I suppose it's because we're carrying per federal law, which trumps state law. I've never had any significant problems taking a gun into an airport for a flight. In fact, in Orlando once they apparently thought I was a LEO (which is a hoot--- look at my picture) and were about ready to let me take it into the passenger cabin. Even in liberal Madison, absolutely no problems at the airport. Each airport seems to handle it a little differently-- it has ranged from them hardly wanting to see the gun, up to going in the back room with the TSA (out of sight of other passengers-- horrors!)

Only problem was the flight to Orlando, the luggage was lost for a few hours--- I worried about the gun, but eventually everything showed up.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Also, you have to remember that the prohibition against firearms in government buildings is not 100% absolute. You can take a firearm into a state or locally owned government building with permission of the proper authorities. We have permission of the proper authority to take your gun into the airport, as long as it's done within the TSA's rules.

Para is referring to:

TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I - CRIMES

CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS

-HEAD-

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

-STATUTE-

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or

regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any

person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from

transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to

transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he

may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place

where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during

such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the

firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible

or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such

transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle

without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the

firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container

other than the glove compartment or console.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I wonder if the 'lawful purpose' of 18 USC 44, 926 is the same lawful purpose in the Wisconsin Constitution Article I, Section 25
Right to keep and bear arms. SECTION 25. [As created Nov. 1998] The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose. [1995 J.R. 27, 1997 J.R. 21, vote November 1998]

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Last time I flew (pre 9-11) All I had to do was to place a tag on the gun case that declared it was a firearm, and put that case inside of my regular checked luggage.They did not want the firearm tag visible on the outside of the regular luggage becuase it may be a target for theft.

I am sureif youcalltheairline you choose to use,they willfill you in on proper firearm flying procedures. It was no hassle at all back in the day.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Last time I flew (pre 9-11) All I had to do was to place a tag on the gun case that declared it was a firearm, and put that case inside of my regular checked luggage.They did not want the firearm tag visible on the outside of the regular luggage becuase it may be a target for theft.

I am sureif youcalltheairline you choose to use,they willfill you in on proper firearm flying procedures. It was no hassle at all back in the day.
Sounds like the same procedure currently used. I've been asked to stand by once or twice while they x-rayed my suitcase, but then they gave me the thumbs up and off I went.

jrm

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Nutczak wrote:

Sounds like the same procedure currently used. I've been asked to stand by once or twice while they x-rayed my suitcase, but then they gave me the thumbs up and off I went.
I've flown in and out of Milwaukee, Madison, Appleton, and Green Bay -- no issues.