• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

some training

YllwFvr

imported post

Does anyone know where I can ok l up some handgun training? Does the NRA do any around here?
I tried a few years ago to get my local PD to take me shooting, I knew them all good guys, and they agreed. But they never seemed to find the time or always had an excuse not to take me and I finallly got the hint they didn't really want to.
And how much is a course?
I'm going for an act 235 and I think they do a little training. Or maybe you just have to qualify I don't remember.

david.ross

imported post

Who needs training, just use the american method of shooting. Shoot as many bullets in the general direction and hope you hit something. x)

KBCraig

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Who needs training, just use the american method of shooting. Shoot as many bullets in the general direction and hope you hit something. x)
He asked about training, not police academy. :D

WCrawford

imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
Does anyone know where I can ok l up some handgun training? Does the NRA do any around here?
I tried a few years ago to get my local PD to take me shooting, I knew them all good guys, and they agreed. But they never seemed to find the time or always had an excuse not to take me and I finallly got the hint they didn't really want to.
And how much is a course?
I'm going for an act 235 and I think they do a little training. Or maybe you just have to qualify I don't remember.
Your local gun shops would probably be the best place to start. You may even find some "free" training by making a range buddy of a more experienced shooter.

DonSmithnotTMD

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
insane.kangaroo wrote:
He asked about training, not police academy. :D
Actually, it's Chinese

"During several attempts on his life, Mock Duck reportedly squat down in the street and would fire at his attackers with two pistols as his eyes were closed."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sai_Wing_Mock

YllwFvr

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Your local gun shops would probably be the best place to start. You may even find some "free" training by making a range buddy of a more experienced shooter.
My shop owner has no idea, and the local state game lands range people usually just start unloading as fast as they can. The shop owner said he'd help me out but he has no formal training himself just some self taught stuff.

I figure worst case my brother will be starting the academy shooting range in two weeks and I can have him go over some stuff with me. Id rather get some formal training however.

Farmer Troy

imported post

I've never had a safety course (ex-military gave me all the training I need) but perhaps you would contact your local sportsmans group or hunting club . . . they may know something.

c45man

imported post

You are from Scranton? Visit a local indoor range that offers memberships. Almost all of such ranges offer firearm training.

YllwFvr

imported post

c45man wrote:
You are from Scranton?  Visit a local indoor range that offers memberships.  Almost all of such ranges offer firearm training.
I have heard of an indoor range around here but haven't been able to find it unless it's the one at waymart(??) Prison that is only for LEO use.

YllwFvr

imported post

Mtn Jack wrote:
I think there is a beet farm over that way that will let you shoot.

:lol: Funny Jack! Aren't you from beaver co? I thought hay was what that area specialized in. I'm surprised you knew about the great Scranton Beet. Where are they better? Beets me.
I have looked on the NRA website but I guess unless your a member such courses aren't available? I didn't see any such thing listed.
The beet farms won't let me shoot for fear of the lead spoiling the crop and turning that delicious red a grey color. I argue all my bullets are soft steel core but the farmers heads are too big on those shoulders.

DonSmithnotTMD

imported post

Here's some I found. Listed in no particular order.

Co-ed Basic Pistol Course - The Adams County Sport Handgunners Association (ACSHA) offers the National Rifle Association's Basic Pistol Course. Our NRA certified instructors will teach you the basics of handgun safety, care,operation and marksmanship. It's a great way to introduce new shooters to handguns and a refresher course for those of you who haven't picked up a gun in a while. This course runs from 9 until approximately 2 on both Saturday the 18th and Sunday the 19th. For more information, e-mail adamshandgunners@hotmail.com

NRA Home Firearms Safety April 29, 2009 6:00 -10:00 PM
$35.00
Classic Pistol
1301 Industrial Blvd
Southampton, Pa 18966
215 953 7264
A non-shooting course oriented towards keeping your firearms safe in your home from predators or inquisitive minds.
This course will cover:
Safe firearm handling
Identifying and safely unloading various firearm types
Types of ammunition and its function, safe storage
Cleaning and storage of a firearm
No Firearms Required

Modern Combative Systems LLC
Basic Edged Weapons Course
Morning Session - Spontaneous Edged Weapon Attack Defense
Afternoon Session- Inverted Edge Tactics
04APR09 9-5 Warminster PA (30 min from Philly)
Cost $125 (pre-registration required by 15MAR09) 12 student max
Payment options- Pay Pal to George@mercop.com or check/MO to-
Modern Combative Systems LLC
PO Box 143
Felton PA 17322
For more information contact George@moderncombativesystems.com
www.moderncombativesystems.com
Syllabus:
Morning: Spontaneous Attack Survival for Edged Weapons
This course is geared towards the citizen who wants to know how to survive an edged weapon attack. The following topics will be covered-
Personal risk assessment
Implementing a personal protection plan
Selection of self-defense tools
Physics of edged weapon use
Offender's selection, carry, deployment and use of edged weapons
Combative Anatomy
Constant Tactical Positioning
Dangers of task fixation
Understanding Preparatory Movement
Use verbal commands
Understanding timing and distance
The three stages of an attack
Most probable attacks
Principle Based Responses instead of specific techniques
Staying off of and recovering from the ground
Self-defense vs attack intervention
Dealing with the police
Post-incident survival
Afternoon: Inverted Edge Tactics
Inverted Edge Tactics is for the person who may have to rely on an edged weapon to safe their life but does not wish to attend ongoing training to learn "knife fighting" secrets. IET requires no prior training and does not rely on any specialized blades. IET is the only defense driven edged weapon system. Topics included-
Knife fighting vs defending yourself with a knife
Selection of a primary defensive folder
Carry of the primary defensive folder
Deployment of the primary defensive folder
Combative Anatomy
Intentional vs default targeting
Use of the knife while standing, kneeling and on the ground

The curriculum presented is that of IPD Systems. A sister company to Sabre Tactical.
This system is a new and powerful concept in firearms training. The C.A.R. system has been developed over a long period of time by Paul Castle. Born from a true understanding of how our bodies work during combat crisis. The system was developed for true close quarter combat, and not a rehash of old techniques. The system offers the Operator a higher level of Weapon Retention, than existing techniques to date. The concept allows the Operator to achieve high degrees of movement, speed, and an enhanced Shooting Platform, giving additional speed and accuracy on demand during a Crisis. These techniques are adaptable, in that the Operator may adopt either Small Arms or Long Guns as the primary weapon. For more information on the Center Axis Re-lock shooting technique please visit Paul's web-site at http://www.sabretactical.com or http://www.ipdsystems.com/.
Class Registration can be completed at IPD Systems
March 21 & 22, 2009. Times for the class will be 8am - 4pm
Hellertown