• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police kill dog. possible violation?

FightingGlock19

imported post

The officer was one of several who were searching for a DUI suspect who fled on foot from a traffic stop near Nellis Boulevard and Sahara Avenue, according to department spokesman Bill Cassell.
Police searched a nearby neighborhood with a helicopter equipped with a heat detecting device and spotted a large mass in a shed behind a home at 4880 Welter Ave., Cassell said.
Nope, they had probable cause the suspect they were looking for was in the location.
But, as far as the rest of the story, you've just GOTTA love the over sensationalized story the media is putting out there :)

hsmith

imported post

I hope the officer is taken to the cleaner (Which he won't be, the tax payers will).

"Looking for a suspect" is no justifiable means to shoot someones animal.

r6-rider

imported post

"The officer did everything he could to avoid shooting at the dog. Ultimately he was forced to fire in self-defense," Cassell said.

i call BS, most pitbulls are the nicest dogs in the world that wouldnt hurt a fly. they just have a bad rep cause idiots like to fight them. the dog in the picture looks like a properly trained, well tempered dog. cop probly just got scared and pulled his gun

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"The officer did everything he could to avoid shooting at the dog. Ultimately he was forced to fire in self-defense," Cassell said.
He did every thing.... except backing out of the shed and closing the door.

Did this officer not try a bit of logic and figure that if this dog was prone to attacking an intruder that he would already have a mouthfull of drunk intruder, had the suspect entered the shed?

Devils Advocate

imported post

Easy to judge what the officer should have and could have done.

They are looking for a bad guy and I suspect there is a hot pursuit clause that says theydo not need permission to enter property or homes in these cases.

And sorry but many pit bull dogs are mean as hell. There are a few that my be friendly but the majority I have seen had a piss poor attitude.

The disposition of the dog in this case is unknown to us to draw any conclusion.

Devils Advocate

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
hsmith wrote:
I hope the officer is taken to the cleaner (Which he won't be, the tax payers will).

"Looking for a suspect" is no justifiable means to shoot someones animal.

+1

Funny how people here are quick to hang others from the nearest tree without knowing the reasons they did something.

It really does not matter I guess. We have all the facts we need.

A cop shot a family pet! PERIOD!!!

He had no reason to be there looking for a bad guy on the run in that back yard and should have and could have done SOMETHING else to avoid shooting that dog.

Somebody PLEASE think of the family pets!

This cop needs to turn in his badge because he is not able to handle the job if he could not turn and run from a dog.

It is obvious that no dog has ever killed or seriously harmed a person so there is simply NO JUSTIFICATION for the cop to shoot the dog.

I feel for the family. It is sad to lose a family pet.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

If the owner had coming run outside would they have shot him too?

Granted there were no details given for the actual encounter, but how difficult is it to just shut the door and walk away when you see that your "large mass" is actually a dog? The only thing that gives me pause to reconsider is seeing that the family was Latino, and, no, I'm not racist, but, yes, I am stereotyping. In general, Latinos are into the "who's got the biggest, baddest pit" kinda thing. Rap music and rap stars popularized the pit bull in that culture. And, the thing was being kept in the shed. Who keeps their friendly family dog in the shed?