• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

people need to mind their own business

cgrantjr

imported post

the other day i went to my work to pick up my pay check and a customer there saw my 9mm on my waist. i am a CCW holder and i think that my sweater slipped up just enought that he recognized that i was packing. he didnt say anything to me but he did call my boss :cuss:and started trouble for me at work. now i am not allowed to carry my gun while i am working but they cant stop me from carring while i am off the clock.

my question is why do people put there noses where they dont belong. i am going to start carring in a shoulder harness to avoid these situations and that is fine for now because it is winter and i will have a jacket but come this spring and summer i dont want to have to deal with this everywhere i go because people are paranoid. any recommendations on a good how to carry a concealed gun in the spring and summer would apperciate all the help.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cgrantjr wrote:
the other day i went to my work to pick up my pay check and a customer there saw my 9mm on my waist. i am a CCW holder and i think that my sweater slipped up just enought that he recognized that i was packing. he didnt say anything to me but he did call my boss :cuss:and started trouble for me at work. now i am not allowed to carry my gun while i am working but they cant stop me from carring while i am off the clock.

my question is why do people put there noses where they dont belong. i am going to start carring in a shoulder harness to avoid these situations and that is fine for now because it is winter and i will have a jacket but come this spring and summer i dont want to have to deal with this everywhere i go because people are paranoid. any recommendations on a good how to carry a concealed gun in the spring and summer would apperciate all the help.
Welcome to OCDO!!!!!

You do realize this is an open-carry forum, yes? :)

Shoulder holster and light jacket.

Inside-the-waistband holster and a long shirt un-tucked.

Shucks, pretty much any holster and a light jacket. It would look a little funny tied around your knees, though, for an ankle holster.

Smaller gun if you need to.

It will all depend, I think on your build. Some of us are a little...um...wider than we used to be.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
"It will all depend, I think on your build. Some of us are a little...um...wider than we used to be".

I call that 'experience'. HehHeh. Welcome CG:dude:
Are you redefining "wise a$$"? :D

Undertaker

imported post

I carry mine over the shoulder under a cut of sweatshirt in the summer. I have found If you cut the sleeves at an angle, straps won't show. I know this hinders quick access but I'm the only one that knows it. Good Luck.

cgrantjr

imported post

Citizen wrote:
cgrantjr wrote:

Welcome to OCDO!!!!!

You do realize this is an open-carry forum, yes? :)

Shoulder holster and light jacket.

Inside-the-waistband holster and a long shirt un-tucked.

Shucks, pretty much any holster and a light jacket. It would look a little funny tied around your knees, though, for an ankle holster.

Smaller gun if you need to.

It will all depend, I think on your build. Some of us are a little...um...wider than we used to be.
yeah i do realize that this is a open carry forum but i am new at carring a weapon. i just got my CCL in december and also my gun in DEC so i was just looking for a little advice. i found this site through a google search and figured that there would be some people that have a CCL and could help me out. but on the bright side thx for the help i will see what i can do and yes i am real wide i wont deny it :lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cgrantjr wrote:
SNIP but on the bright side thx for the help
You're welcome.

Also, I guess you've figured out by now that whatever method you use to conceal, itshould keep the gun concealed. Sweaters that ride up. Jackets that ride up or blow open, etc. Its not always a put-on-and-forget type thing. Just learn to check it without being obvious. And at times your cover garment is likely to have shifted--getting in and out of the car, bending over and standing up again, etc.

Of course, you could team up with some of the other Kentucky guys and OC for the most part, in accordance with whatever laws Kentucky has on the subject. (Hint, hint.)

Hope you'll stay with us for a while.

superdemon

imported post

cgrantjr wrote:

One thing to realize is that some people are always going to have a problem with seeing you carry a handgun. Also, realize they have the right to redress those issues as they see fit, as long as it does not infringe on your rights.

That being said, you absolutely must grow a thicker skin. Yes, it is frustrating at times, but realize that it is their fear and ignorance, not anything you are doing wrong. People being concerned about their own safety in a public placeis not "putting their nose where it doesn't belong". If they were coming into your house and doing so, it would be their nose/wrong place, but not in public.

joshuaeberly

imported post

I carry everywhere legal here in MI. I OC when I feel like it, and CC when I feel like it.
I can say that I have never been "made" while CC'ing. just dress around the gun, sweaters are bad, unless they're long and open in the front. too much chance of riding up. wear a loose button down shirt, unbuttoned, wear a long light jacket, unbuttoned. etc...

ok, I was made once, but it was a friend who knows I carry, and he watches me constantly for a "tell".

if you're concealing CONCEAL, if you're not worried about the concealment, just OC and help us educate people. people are more likely to be scared by an accidently exposed CC'd handgun than by an OC'd handgun. (my opinion)

(edited for) and by the way, I do carry an xd-40 4in barrel, or a kimber doublestack .45 with 4 in barrel, or a sig 226 9mm 4in barrel. find someone you trust, and try out different clothes with your gun, find out how you can and can't move when trying to conceal. it takes practice but it's not hard once you get the hang of it.

RIAShooter

imported post

I'm six foot 165 pounds and cc a full sized 1911 with just a t shirt just loose enough to not show a bulge and I've never been made, I have friends who know I always carry, and can't tell, the trick is the cant of the gun in the curves of your body, I wear mine with an FBI cant at the 5 o clock postion.

phantom1984

imported post

The thing i don't understand is even with a CC KY still allows for open carry. Yes sometimes the weapon gets exposed but what the heck you can allways just take off the jacket. I carry a Beretta 92 fs in a black hawk sepra holster. I usually wear a thin leather vest to cover it. I allways wear black pants and the holster being black that it blends in well. The casual observer wont notice if some of the weapon is exposed. dont fret the small stuff.

KBCraig

imported post

phantom1984 wrote:
The thing i don't understand is even with a CC KY still allows for open carry.
You're thinking backwards.

Kentucky "allows" open carry, because it is a right protected by the constitutions of both the Commonwealth and the United States. It's legal because it's not prohibited (such a prohibition would be unconstitutional anyway).

Anyone who can legally possess a handgun in KY may carry it openly. If it might "sometimes get concealed", to twist your phrase, the carrier would need a license.

(And yes, I have a big issue with the notion that any mode of carry requires government permission, but that's extraneous to your comment.)