• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picked up my OC replacement..

nh92d

imported post

"hope i didn't post this in wrong location,looked around and didn't see a gallery location"

GEDC0216-1.jpg

though i told myself i'd never go plastic(reason for replacement is long story,not to mentionshouldn't talk about at this time)..ended up with this slightly used Smith & Wesson.came with two14 rnd mags,cable lock,manual and even the spent test cartridge.resorted to buying a uncle mikes super belt slide holster(could find galco matrix holster for it,probably pick up something better later on)

must admit,it's lighter then my beretta 92d..

GEDC0218.jpg

nh92d

imported post

superdemon wrote:
Nice, but gee whiz, spend $30.00 and get a decent holster, sir.

do you have a link.i was thinking about a fobus one like this one.

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/S_W_ENHANCED_SIGMA_SERIES_VE_E_G_PADDLE_HOLSTER-222-0.html

though one in pic is paddle,one i'd get is belt..reason i did order it was because i didn't want to wait for shipping. and also i read good reviews about the one i got(the uncle mikes..)

i figured i'd use the uncle mikes for now and get better one later.

i'd love to get one like in my avatar(from galco) but my gun was listed as one they make a holster for.(of course,i read somewhere that some holsters for a glock 23 would work..)

superdemon

imported post

nh92d wrote:
superdemon wrote:

do you have a link.i was thinking about a fobus one like this one.

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/S_W_ENHANCED_SIGMA_SERIES_VE_E_G_PADDLE_HOLSTER-222-0.html

though one in pic is paddle,one i'd get is belt..reason i did order it was because i didn't want to wait for shipping. and also i read good reviews about the one i got(the uncle mikes..)

i figured i'd use the uncle mikes for now and get better one later.

i'd love to get one like in my avatar(from galco) but my gun was listed as one they make a holster for.(of course,i read somewhere that some holsters for a glock 23 would work..)
I don't have a link, but you can order straight from Fobus. I just got a Fobus for my fiance's Taurus 905.

Just try Google shopping, and arrange the prices from lowest to highest. That's too nice of a gun to carry around in a utility holster like that.

superdemon

imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
superdemon wrote:

$30.00 ? LOL Try again...

http://www.sideguardholsters.com

I cannot recommend them enough. I get all my leather from Erik.

I am strictly utilitarian with holsters.I don't needit to look pretty or feel good to the touch, I just need reliability.When I am not on duty, I carry about 90% of the time in a Fobus. They are usually around $30.00.

I never carry in leather.

AllAmerican

imported post

superdemon wrote:
AllAmerican wrote:
superdemon wrote:

I am strictly utilitarian with holsters.I don't needit to look pretty or feel good to the touch, I just need reliability.When I am not on duty, I carry about 90% of the time in a Fobus. They are usually around $30.00.

To each his own. Ive had some Fobus stuff. Nothing wrong with it. In fact mine was actually $18. I just prefer leather.

I just found the $30 mark funny as most of the folks I know spend roughly twice that for a good holster.

Ill edit to add that Im totally not into the thumb break either.

superdemon

imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
superdemon wrote:
AllAmerican wrote:
superdemon wrote:

To each his own. Ive had some Fobus stuff. Nothing wrong with it. In fact mine was actually $18. I just prefer leather.

I just found the $30 mark funny as most of the folks I know spend roughly twice that for a good holster.

Ill edit to add that Im totally not into the thumb break either.
I've got about three shoeboxes full of holsters that I tried and didn't like. I started thinking that if I was only gonna get about 1 out of 3 holsters and actually use it, I would go with the least expensive stuff that actually suits my needs.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with leather, and like you said, to each his own.

However, I will never go back to having a belt holster again. Strictly paddles for me from now on.

nh92d

imported post

well i've been using the new holster for about a week now and the only problem is that i gotta get used to the difference in removing the holster from the belt.i used to be abler to just unsnap two straps and it was off.this one i need to undo the belt and slide it off.which i need to remember to unholster myS&Wbefore loosening the belt.

(not my set-up,but that's the holster i use)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Uncle Mikes makes great holsters. I'd be willing to bet those that made the negative comments about them have never used them. Universal holsters are practical sometimes, and I always end up going back to Uncle Mikes when the need arises.

One thing to mention, though. You have your retention strap on backwards. The snap should be in towards your body, the rigid, curved tab pointing up. The strap should be over the back of the slide. The release is a thumb break. You release the strap by forcing your thumb between the tab and the strap while you form your grip on the handgun. The snap will release, all though it may pinch your thumb the first few times you do it.

I did the exact same thing you did the first time I used an Uncle Mikes holster, lol.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
I, too, like Uncle Mike's holsters. I've got a different one than shown in the picture, though. The snap is on the side away from my body.
Then your strap is backwards. A thumb break should be located on the inside of the holster, where your thumb goes.

Flyer22

imported post

I never said that mine has athumb break. As a matter of fact, I said, "I've got a different one than shown in the picture." Mine has a retention strap. Here's a picture of the type I have.
http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/sidekick_hip_holsters.html

And here's a picture of another brand that more clearly shows the strap.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13512&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=31301&training=

superdemon

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
I never said that mine has athumb break. As a matter of fact, I said, "I've got a different one than shown in the picture." Mine has a retention strap. Here's a picture of the type I have.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13512&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=31301&training=

Man, I really, really hate to see a good weapon carried in such a holster. I like UM products as well, but I will always get a holster designed specifically for the gun I am carrying. Those universal ones universally fit nothing well, universally flop around when you move, and just look so cheap...

To each his own, though.

P.S. If nothing else, take the "buckle" off the strap, and re-thread it so that the bottom lip part is facing up. That way, you can break the strap with a downward motion of your trigger finger instead of an up motion...

kurtmax_0

imported post

Look at Safariland or *the company that shall not be named but it starts with B and ends with !). Fobus holsters are pretty bad imo. The construction is very cheap.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:

Oh! My bad. I see what you mean now, though. That's definitely not a quick draw design, but I guess it would hold the gun secure enough.

Walleye

imported post

My Uncle Mike's OWB holster (same as OP) has served me well - for the price it's got a lot of bang for the buck. Carried a S&W M39 and currently carry a SIG P226 with it.

High dollar fancy-pants holsters... Pfft! Sounds like AR fanboys complaining about the AK! :p

superdemon

imported post

Walleye wrote:
My Uncle Mike's OWB holster (same as OP) has served me well - for the price it's got a lot of bang for the buck. Carried a S&W M39 and currently carry a SIG P226 with it.

High dollar fancy-pants holsters... Pfft! Sounds like AR fanboys complaining about the AK! :p

LOL!

I carry just about everything in a Fobus. Nothing fancy-pants there. :p