• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at someones house you'v never met?

BabyGlock

Ashland (I delete what my friend wrote), Oregon, U
imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Today My Friend who has a small business he runs out of his home, had a customer show up to his house, who he had never met before until today when he showed up at his house, for his appointment... Now the new customer of his happened to be OCing...... My Friend Is married has 3 kids that live at his home and my Friend was quite surprised to see this guy just show up on his door step with a gun on his hip.. and he was quite concerned as to Why a person would show up at his house with a loaded handgun.. Now my question is.. Would you or have you ever done this or what's your opinion on it? I this this Was really innapproiate, and not smart For this kid to do..I just think this gives OCer's a bad rep.. Cause it just makes it seem like we can carry where ever.. I oc but i think we all think about where were gonna oc befor we do it and think about weither its a good place to oc or conceal.. and plus it pissed my friend off pretty bad.. Do u think he had a good reason to be upset?
I think that this young gentleman made a blunder due to his young age and will learn from this.
I think that we all make mistakes and learn from them. The older that we are, the more wise we become.
"He who has not sinned, cast the first stone..."

BabyGlock

Ashland (I delete what my friend wrote), Oregon, U
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
I don't see that any offense has occured, just a very valid discussion. I for one OC wherever I can legally. I OCed to my sisters house for a late christmas party, my nephew acted offended and made a comment about hiding my weapon as his kids were there. My sister never asked me to disarm so I finished my coffee and left. I will not return to their house unless I absolutely have to. That is my choice and I hold no grudge over it.

I will carry to any business or private home I visit, but will disarm or leave when asked. I will not disarm just on the off chance I might possibly offend somone.. I tend not to be politically correct.

J
I think you guys are brave as I have not yet open carried. I think it is good for children to be exposed to weapons especially if the gun is under a responsible persons control. We need to allow people to become more used to gun carrying in general, where they think it is commonplace.

JBURGII

imported post

I have become very comfortable carrying openly and now treat it like wearing a hat. I haven't had any problems with anyone either leo or citizen.. most contacts I have had have been curiosity.. passed out a lot of flyers so far.

I believe that people as well as kids need to get used to seeing Joe Average carrying his pdw, get used to it and even get trained themselves in safety and use.

God bless the Free People of my Republic!!

Rev. Jim

FMCDH

imported post

Mutoman wrote:
I think a person has a right to delegate what is allowed in their own house whether they are running a business out of their house or not. The fact that a person is carrying a gun does not mean they are an upstanding citizen who poses no harm to one's family. I cannot criticize this person for being concerned of someone showing up on his doorstep carrying a weapon. On the other hand he is running a business out of his house and just the fact that he is inviting strangers into his residence denotes a chance of danger whether they are carrying a gun or not.

I would be less concerned with someone who was open carrying for it shows a willingness to be open to their choice. Obviously the person was invited as a customer, so they had a reason for being at the mans house.

With all this taken into account, I don't believe there was any reason to be angry at the customer, but he had every right to ask the person to not carry in his house.

The customer has every right to open carry where he or she is invited into personal property or business unless told otherwise.

We cannot expect people to uphold our right to carry, if we fail to support their right to govern their private property.
I completely agree Mutoman,

As the ultimate purpose of the OC movement is to make carrying a firearm a "common" act and overall socially expected, if not universally accepted, it all comes down to respecting each others rights, BUT each in turn.

The customer had his right to carry his firearm with all reasonable belief that he was invited to do so until told otherwise by the property owner. Once told that his firearm was not welcome on your friends property, the customer no longer had the right to stay on the property until the terms of the property owner were met, and conversely, the customer then had the right to decide if he would accept those terms or take his business elsewhere. Simple really.

The fact that your friend became upset or distressed in any way is really neither here nor there as long has his wishes were respected when they were made known, and the customer complied.

Since you make no note that your friend made any such request, we are left to believe that he was at first startled but willing to bear the initial social discomfort of the situation to conduct business, then dealt with his uncertainty of the matter afterward. Sounds like he handled it fairly well and may have learned a positive lesson from the encounter.

"To see no gun, to hear no gun and to speek of no gun, does not meen the gun is not there. What matters in the end is what the gun did, or did not do, and not how it made you feel."
~FMCDH~

DenWin

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
I have become very comfortable carrying openly and now treat it like wearing a hat. I haven't had any problems with anyone either leo or citizen.. most contacts I have had have been curiosity.. passed out a lot of flyers so far.

I believe that people as well as kids need to get used to seeing Joe Average carrying his pdw, get used to it and even get trained themselves in safety and use.

God bless the Free People of my Republic!!

Rev. Jim

JBURGII, complete agreement from this end. I have always believed it a good idea that everyone should at least be taught safe handling of firearms. Whether or not people want to accept it, firearms are prevalent in our society and everyone should at least know basic safety, handling, and how to safely clear the firearm/weapon.

As far as the topic of discussion, I won't just go to someone else's house who I don't know well open carrying my weapon. I will still carry, they just won't see it. I - as many of the other people here, as well - just won't go there any more. I will not trust some one else with defense of my life. This is my life, and I don't trust them to do a better job than my self as such. The same applies at Walmart or Fred Meyer's. Do you really think I trust department store security with my life? No, not in the least.

I may have to disagree with most on the issue, though, that just because there is nothing in the OP that says the owner mentioned anything about it to his customer, that doesn't mean he accepted the practice or was willing to. I know I'm pulling this from the movie RIGHTOUS KILL, but everyone respects the gun. He may have just been unwilling to confront what he saw as basically an armed stranger. He's a sheep, not a sheep dog, and isn't going to make confrontation with it. Just my two cents.

DenWin

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Today My Friend who has a small business he runs out of his home, had a customer show up to his house, who he had never met before until today when he showed up at his house, for his appointment... Now the new customer of his happened to be OCing...... My Friend Is married has 3 kids that live at his home and my Friend was quite surprised to see this guy just show up on his door step with a gun on his hip.. and he was quite concerned as to Why a person would show up at his house with a loaded handgun.. Now my question is.. Would you or have you ever done this or what's your opinion on it? I this this Was really innapproiate, and not smart For this kid to do..I just think this gives OCer's a bad rep.. Cause it just makes it seem like we can carry where ever.. I oc but i think we all think about where were gonna oc befor we do it and think about weither its a good place to oc or conceal.. and plus it pissed my friend off pretty bad.. Do u think he had a good reason to be upset?

I OC As Soon As I can EVERY DAY. I OC everywhere and somebody sees the sidearm they can then make and assessment of what they want to do.

One can make the same arguement that even CCing is just as disrespectful because you are bringing it in WITHOUT their knowledge at all and would get even MORE upset if they found out that "it" had been there WITHOUT them knowing.

OCing just tells them that it's there and nothing to hide. I believe that, that is MORE respectful in comparison.

But Then I am on the Other Hand VERY PRO-OCing for the onse that knows me or about me.:celebrate

TJ

chrsjhnsn

imported post

First, it is spelled inappropriate.
2nd, if you own a business, black people and Jews will show up, if you're
a bigot it might bother you but, too bad, you own a business and people show up.
Your friend is a bigot, his irrational fears about freedom could cost him business.
If you're in an open carry state people might open carry.
Your friend is free to move to a nice not very safe place like Oakland CA, NYC, or D.C
where open carry is never seen. His kids will be less safe but obviously that isn't really important as appearance is to your friend.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

chrsjhnsn wrote:
a bigot it might bother you but, too bad, you own a business and people show up.
Your friend is a bigot, his irrational fears about freedom could cost him business.
Your friend is free to move to a nice not very safe place like Oakland CA, NYC, or D.C
where open carry is never seen. His kids will be less safe but obviously that isn't really important as appearance is to your friend.
Spelling and grammar are not as important as some would make it out to be on blogs.

Race and religion are "protected" classes - OC or CC is not. You may have the right to carry on public property as allowed by law but may not on private property.

I can not speak directly to Oregon statute but generally property rights (the right to make rules regarding your own real property) trumps your priviledge* to carry there. You are free to not shop there as much as a property owner is free to exclude you for any non-compliance of any rules not in violation of law.

*Yes. I did say privilege above. Your rights stop at my front door - even your 1st Amendment rights. If I do not like the way you are talking in my house, I can and will ask you to leave. If you do not do so willingly, you will subject to several unpleasant courses of action.

He is free to make his own choices and your way, I fear, will win no converts.
Educate as much as possible but consider the impact of your words.

Yata hey

adamsesq

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Well Its good to see this Thread's still open:) But I have a questions... Is it legal to OC In public Parks??? just curious...

In Oregon. With a CHL always yes. If it's in a park in a city that has regulated loaded OC only unloaded or with a CHL.

Crater Lake Natl. Monument - all bets off.

-adamsesq

chrsjhnsn

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
chrsjhnsn wrote:
Spelling and grammar are not as important as some would make it out to be on blogs.

Race and religion are "protected" classes - OC or CC is not. You may have the right to carry on public property as allowed by law but may not on private property.

I can not speak directly to Oregon statute but generally property rights (the right to make rules regarding your own real property) trumps your priviledge* to carry there. You are free to not shop there as much as a property owner is free to exclude you for any non-compliance of any rules not in violation of law.

*Yes. I did say privilege above. Your rights stop at my front door - even your 1st Amendment rights. If I do not like the way you are talking in my house, I can and will ask you to leave. If you do not do so willingly, you will subject to several unpleasant courses of action.

He is free to make his own choices and your way, I fear, will win no converts.
Educate as much as possible but consider the impact of your words.

Yata hey
Spelling is very important, anti's read the gun forums and use poor spelling against us.
This isn't a "blog" this is a forum, as such it is public and the fence sitters and gun activist both will be viewing it.
A fence sitter may read the forum & think "gee those gun nuts can not even spell common words, words my 15 year can spell"

It's called a right for a reason.
Some bigots hate to see interracial couples, to bad for them.
Interracial couples have the same rights as anyone else.

Other bigots have the right to lose business because they are afraid
of people exercising basic civil rights, such as open carry.

Sure his friend has property rights and can choose not to allow
blacks, or other minority people like gun owners into his home/business.

The original topic was a OC gun owner simply showed up at a business and the business owner had a hissy fit.
Tough!

WE ARE HERE, WE OPEN CARRY, GET USED TO IT!

chrsjhnsn

imported post

OH, by the way, this quote is from "the forum rules"
8) General: No shouting in Capital Letters. Use "substantially proper" capitalization, punctuation, and grammer as best you can. Use of abbreviations and acronymns shold be minimized and always defined.
This forum is being read by the press and politicians, they will use anything against us they can, yes, including spelling.

A "blog" is your own personal website that you can use all the poor spelling and grammar you want to reveal to the world...

I use firefox, it catches a lot of common spelling mistakes, like the ones in the actual forum rules!:D

Glockguy

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
Glockguy wrote:
Well Its good to see this Thread's still open:) But I have a questions... Is it legal to OC In public Parks??? just curious...

In Oregon. With a CHL always yes. If it's in a park in a city that has regulated loaded OC only unloaded or with a CHL.

Crater Lake Natl. Monument - all bets off.

-adamsesq

I thought you could carry In National parks now?? I thought they were changing the law on that?? Or maybe its still in the process?

FMCDH

imported post

67390FE wrote:
Summary...

Right to carry in Federal parks has been suspended until further notice.

This is all so much lip service to be all "above board" in my opinion. This will go through the "study" it was suppose to go through in the first place, they will find "no significant impact" and it will go back into effect as it was intended.

The fact is, Bush pushed this law without going by the book and hate the book or love the book, them-is the rules we live by until changed.

Better the challenges come out and be gotten out of the way now then later when people become used to it and get nailed a few years from now because they didn't realize the rule had been suspended or overturned in a whisper of legal static.

Rogue40

imported post

I would agree with the other posters that a customer showing up to a business OCing, is nothing new. If someone is running a business out of their home, then can simply ask the cutomer to leave or to secure their weapon in the car...

I don't think the customer did anything wrong..