• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A quick note about parks in Olympia

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I was reminded today by someone that some parks in Olympia are actually state owned. They also told me they have seen WSP in the past remove people who were lawfully carrying firearms.

NOW before people get jumpy, keep in mind we do not know what has gone on with WSP in years past, or when these events occurred. I do however trust the person who gave me this information.

That said I am not aware of any problems with WSP and OC at this time, and in fact have read many very positive posts about OC and WSP.

Sylvester Park in the heart of downtown Olympia is state owned, as well as the park around Capital Lake. WSP and OPD both can will respond to complaints in state owned parks. (At least at Sylvester Park, I do not know about Capital Lake).

Needless to say lawful carry is legal in any state or local park in Washington.

Just something to keep in mind when you are in Olympia; OPD is very well versed on carry laws, but the likelyhood does exist you may run into a Trooper in certain parks who is not so well versed, although that is pretty unlikely IMHO.

Gene Beasley

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Just something to keep in mind when you are in Olympia; OPD is very well versed on carry laws, but the likelihood does exist you may run into a Trooper in certain parks who is not so well versed, although that is pretty unlikely IMHO.
That is why it's important if anyone is addressing issues with local councils or commissions to stress the importance of correcting any signs that are erroneous and point to repealed local codes.

The possible situation you describe is more likely to happen throughout the state where a concerned citizen goes to the sign, finds a code prohibiting firearms and makes a call to a 911 center that deals with multiple agencies and has no idea that it is repealed.