• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing IN MOBILE ON A REGULAR BASIS

HungSquirrel

imported post

I have been trying for months, and I have never gotten a LEO to notice me at Wal-Mart at Rangeline. :p

It is apparent we live ridiculously close to each other. Your info says Moss Point. Do you actually live in the Tillman's Corner/Theodore area?

Mississippian

imported post

Lol. Well, there was no way he did not notice the fact that I was OCing...Apparently he knew the law unless he thought I was a LEO, but I doubt that as I havefacial hair:).

And yes, I actually do live in MS, but not exactly Moss Point. I live closer to Grand Bay, ALbut do alot of business with companies in Mobile (GCR Tire, TruckPro, Fleet Pride,Empire Truck Sales, etc, etc.) and just like to 'pool' my stops to where I make one trip to town...I drive for a living, I hate to drive anymore than I have towhen I'm not working.

I have to say, while that LEO was talking on the phone and looking my way, I was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs...When I got through checking out and I heard him say "let me go" into the phone, I really thought "this is it". But he just nodded as he walked by me...Phew!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

You have ammo at your wallmart? Mine has been out of everything
except shotgun shells for a couple months now. They claim they still
carry bullets but I am beginning to wonder.
I haven't learned to make a good hollowpoint round yet, and bullets and
oil are the only thing I buy from them. The idea of stopping a chinese
invasion with there own bullets just makes me smile.:uhoh:

the wheeelman

imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
It is apparent we live ridiculously close to each other. Your info says Moss Point. Do you actually live in the Tillman's Corner/Theodore area?

My girlfriend's parents live in the Tilman's corner area. We haven't been by since New Year's (before I got my H&K 45c) but next time we are back in town I will sure show my support for OC'ing in Mobile.

How do you guy's handle carrying your gun place to place in your vehicle without a permit...or do all of you have one. Last time I went through up to Auburn, I unloaded my pistol a locked it in a booksack out of reach and had the clip separate.

Mississippian

imported post

How do you guy's handle carrying your gun place to place in your vehicle without a permit...
I now have a permit, but when I didn't, I had a lockbox that I kept it inand then put the locked lockbox inside a larger container in the bed of my p/u.

Completely out of view & reachand unsearchable without warrant or reasonable suspicion...But legal?? probably not, but I always made sure I was either going or coming from someplace gun related, I mean it never hurts to have your gun appraised, or check out a new shooting range...right?;)

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Be careful Mississippian, when your open carrying, alot of mobile police, city cops don't know the law, or they know it , but refuse to obey it, they think there above it.

I guess they just don't like the fact that we civilians have a rights to open carry in the state of Alabama just like they do. After doing all my research a few months ago, and then a couple days ago going out making a shitload of those trifold info sheets, I called mcso permit area and a deputy answered, I talked with him for about a minute, he knew the law and said that he knows we have the right and he doesn't agree with it, but thats the law, and thats its. Now while I was out and about passing out these trifold flyers, a ran by the mobile police headquarters on goverment and spoke with a corporal police office in his fifties I think and he was black, thats all I really remember, I remember looking or glancing at his name tag but it was to hard to see. Anyways to make a long story short, he said he see something like the trifold I handed him, and shit like that and he said if you open carry in mobile you will be arrested, even after I told him that you know that would be a illegal arrest cause your breaking the law by disobeying the Alabama Constitution, he said I 'm not going to debate this with you, I asked to speak to his supervisors like a Lt. or Capt. and he said he'll pass on the flyers to them, but he didn't contact them to let me speak with them, and he reminded one more time before I left out the door to remember if I OC in mobile I will be arrested, I said thanks corporal and left out of there needless to say very pissed off that this guy was so stuck in being ignorant, he refused to see the truth. Mobile city has a some sort of city ordinance that prevents OC'ing in mobile city limits, however in the Alabama constitution it says under article 11-80-11 that there not allowed to make up such a law like that. So if a LEO made a arrest on that he would be illegally arresting and illegally charging you, because your protected by the Al. constitution on that. This corporal wanted to try and make it sound the way he wanted it to be and not the way it really is, that pisses me off, people come there for legal information and he doesn't even know what he's talking about, no wonder everyone is so afraid to open carry around here, its because guys like that. What needs to happen is everyone on here that lives within mobile county needs to contact there legislator for the particular area and get mobile city to lift this illegal law that shouldn't be there in the firstplace.

Needless to say I will be contacting the Chief of Police for mobile and telling him about this particular officer and that the legal citizens of mobile do have the right to open carry wear allowed by the protection of the Alabama Constitution. I will request a appointment to see him since , the corporal wasn't to pleasant. The old saying goes there's a sucker born every second, I beginning to believe it shoulda been there's a idiot out there born every second.

Mississippian

imported post

I believe many of them are more bark than bite. But that is why I have a well hidden audio recorder that is recording full time when I am OCing. If I get arrested for just OCing, they will be spanked by my attorney.

LEOs are human just like you and me, they maysay one thing but do another. Talk big, but when the time comes, actually follow the law, we are all guilty of that at some time in our lives.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

No, but you need to walk here or have a permit for the trip.:p
Unless you want to follow the fed transport guidelines.
And then there is the trips to the court house to get your property back
in the bad areas of the state where the law doesn't apply.

We have no law on the books giving us the right, just the lowly constitution
prohibitting the state from taking them away.

the wheeelman

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
We have no law on the books giving us the right, just the lowly constitution
prohibitting the state from taking them away.
Just an FYI, Laws aren't meant nor do they give us rights, they are only meant to restrict rights. So unless there is a law to restrict an adressed right, then consider excercising the right legal.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Yes, I was trying to point that out. He was asking what law is on the books to allow OC.
But AL has no law, and we also have no residency requirement to be covered by the
constitution. So just don't be caught without your recorder, you just might need it.
Also I would consider useing a NR permit, that way if it gets taken by the more
oppressive county officials, you will not be messing with your home states permit.
Or enjoy walking the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, while you keep the permit in
the hotel safe.. :lol::lol:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I think he said he would be visiting, so any NR that AL recognises would
be OK. It just makes sense to hedge your bets in this state, by only using
a 3rd party permit. So you can go home to your own state without
leaving a valuable part of your rights behind.

Fighting to get back your property is bad enough without the added headache
of multistate travel on top of it.
Madison sherrif says he can't wait to lock up any oc'er. I have enough troubles with
the leo in B'ham myself without the added fun of OC. But OC is like a legal
bingo game in this state, you just take your chances on being raided. :uhoh:

Then there are the hodge podge of wallmart store 'policies'.:cuss:

But while legal, and no restrictions to residency only OC at your own risk.
We aren't GOLD star yet.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

kurtmax_0

imported post

Why would someone in AL think they could 'take' someone's permit from another state. In some states it's illegal for anyone but the DoS to take a permit.

acrimsontide

imported post

Also be aware that non resident permits from another state, even if we have reciprocity for that state's residents are not specifically covered by Alabama law so this is still in question.

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/pistol.htm#nonresident

"At the present time, Act 2001-494 does not on its face specifically address the issue of Alabama’s recognition of a non-resident handgun license issued by a state with which Alabama has reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun licenses. Nor is there a formal Attorney General's Opinion, or Alabama case law on this subject. If an Alabama law enforcement agency requests and receives an official Attorney General's Opinion that opinion will be available to the public on our web site under the menu item titled "AG Opinions"

dixieborn

imported post

I'm a consistent concealed carry guy in Mobile, but would like to start openly carrying mainly for the reason that I have the right to!

I've asked no less than 4 MPD officers in the last few days what the deal is with open carry around here (pretended like I didn't know anything about it). None of them actually told me it was illegal, but every single one of them told me not to do it. A couple of them said I'd be arrested on a Disorderly Conduct charge, and another told me they'd confiscate my gun until I was checked out with a background check and all...

Now this doesn't mean I'm not going to do it anyway, but I just wanted to share the info!

Mississippian

imported post

Even though I have OC'd alot in Mobile and Mobile county, only one officer noticed my handgun, and he was with the Mobile PD. He did not seem concerned about me carrying at all. I don't know about Mobile Co. sherrifs office, I have yet to be spotted by a deputy...Who knows.

If you OC, it definately would not hurt for you to have DVR well hidden and recording continuous, mine starts the time I leave my house.

On a side note, I believe the chances of you being confronted are directly related to your appearance, your body language and your age.

Also check out Alabama Firearm Rights Association, they too have a forum, just look under the "links" section.

HungSquirrel

imported post

Be very careful, and have the laws and state supreme court cases written down as a reference! I think so far I haven't had any problems merely because no LEOs have spotted me exercising my rights.