• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing IN MOBILE ON A REGULAR BASIS

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:)Hey Mr. Advocate here, I would just like to start off by saying thanks to everyone in the future visiting my posted topic.

I need the help of everyone here in mobile that would like to participate in meeting dates and times to get together for OC'ing days, so we can inform our local community here in mobile the legal citizens of the state of Al. does in fact have the right to open carry.

We can start off with sending a letter to the Sheriff and the Chief of Police requesting there help in educating the local LEO's of our right to OC, so that way we won't be questioned as much about what we are doing and that way we are also cooperating with authority's in a respectful manner and it will help things run a lot smoother altogether. The more the residents of mobile city and county see OC'ers the more normal and relaxed everyone will feel. We will need flyers to pass out to everyone interested explaining when they can OC,Where they can OC, and the need for the CCW permit for when your transporting your firearm. I think if we do this in a group effort, citizens won't be alarmed by it for starters, and that maybe we can we might not be harassed by people calling LEO's or LEO's themselves pulling our permits.

Remember if you don't exercise your rights, you lose them, so lets make this happen asap and start getting the ball rolling on this great right we have here in the state of Alabama. Thanks again everyone.;)

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've done had 18 views on here a not one it interested in getting the ball rolling on this. This has got to be done for the preservation of our rights and to uphold our states constitution and defend it with pride and honor, but we must start somewhere.

I'm not asking anything out of the normal, this is a right we have here in Al. why don't we act upon it, and show the public that decent good law abiding citizens ARE NOT alarming or dangerous oc'ing, that in fact we are completely the opposite. The statistics have already been proven in other states that happen to be Gold Star states the gun crimes don't gun up and the overall crime rate goes down when people OC. So lets do this guys and gals, if you have a ccw then your half way there, next is education for the LEO's and flyer's for the public on information. Thanks again. Mr. Advocate

Mississippian

imported post

Patience, Mr Advocate:).

I am on call so the majority of the times I OC are a spur of the moment thing, for instance, I plan on hopping on my motorbike and heading to Hardy's (Grand Bay)sometime this morning for some b-fast, but I dunno exactly when and the "BatPhone" may ring any minute cancelling all plans.

IMO, the only time I would notify the law enforcement is if a group of us was having an OC cookout or something similar, that way when a MWAG call comes in, the LEA of that jurisdiction will already have a heads-up. In no way I would call them unless I was in a group and the group agreed.

As for fliers, go here: http://alabamagunrights.org/and print all you want. BTW, Just in case you don't know, they also have a forum.

Happy OCing, maybe we can meet up and have lunch sometime:).

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds good Mississippian, and yeah, I didn't mean contacting the LEO's other than you know a large group of us out doing a cookout or something similar. Yeah, I have a appointment this morning, and thinks by the way for the link, I'll need that. Bat phone,lol, I remember what it was like to be on call at one time, think goodness not anymore, OC'ing and our Rights forever, Mr. Advocate

Wu Jen

imported post

I'd be interested in doing this. I have my CCW permit but more people need to realize that its their constitution granted right and not aprivilege. btw I live in Bayou La Batre myself.

Mississippian

imported post

Welcome Wu Jen, I've OC'd in the mexican resturant just north of the draw bridge, no problems, but afterwards I got to wondering about the AL law on OCing in places that serve alcohol, that is something I need to check on. I'm not even sure if that place serves alcohol, but most mexican resturants do.

OC'ed today all over the Lowes and the Walmart stores located just off Rangeline in Mobile, I don't even think anyone noticed. Was in Lowes forever but was in & out at Walmart pretty quick, was in there maybe 10 mins.

Then went to Grand Bay and OC'ed in Advance Auto Parts, I know they noticed, but they know me by name, might have gotten a different reaction if they hadnever seen me before, actually have OC'ed in there qiute a bit.

Left Mobile and headed to Pascagoula.

Wu Jen

imported post

Unlike Louisiana, Alabama doesn't have a law relating to alcohol served in restaurants. So your good to go there.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

You must OC when out with boozers, my sherriff has it written on my permit.
"#4 - No CC where booze is sold", so I must OC period. It is the law.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

The only danger is those drive through booze stops. You need the permit for car,
but can't use the permit because of the booze.

Don't you just love obeying the law.:banghead:

HungSquirrel

imported post

Hey, just found this topic. I need to check back more often. :banghead:

Proud OCing Mobilian here. I'd be willing to hang out.

We can start off with sending a letter to the Sheriff and the Chief of Police requesting there help in educating the local LEO's of our right to OC
Good luck with that. The response I got from MPD basically used a few dozen words to answer nothing. Sheriff Cochran didn't even bother responding, and the gals at the permit office still tell every permit applicant that OC is prohibited. :banghead:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum59/10435.html

Mississippian

imported post

OC'd at the T/A truckstop in Grand Baythis morning while my wife and I ate breakfast, a few stares from other truckers and a couple volunteer firemen, but definately no:shock:'s or:what:'s.

Then headed to MS and OC'd in Century Bank while getting my wife's permit paperwork notorized, but I don't think anyone even saw it...I was kinda nervous about being in there with it, but they did not have any "no firearms" signs posted.

Then headed to Biloxi and OC'd an empty holster in the post office while getting her passport photo and OC'd the empty holster while standing in line with her while applying for her firearm permit. The MDPS officer was very pro 2A and said he would like everyone [who is legal to] toatleast get CC license and then more would actually carry either open or concealed. He admitted that he did not know it was legal for a gun to be in a commercial vehicle.

I guess I should post this in the MS forum also.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well it sounds like all you guys are definitly out there doing your job to inform the LEO's and other citizens of the area of open carrying, we shoot at least get together one day a week and open carry in differnt places like walmart,target,lowes,home depot, some non-alcoholic serving places and anywhere else that we can, what do you think. let me know

Mississippian

imported post

I like Ryans, especially the one by Lowes at the corner of Halls Mill & Rangeline.

Golden Corrall works too.

The problem I have, is that it is nearly impossible for me to nail down a time because I try to 'pool' my stops when I go to Mobile and I may be eating anytime, but hopefully sometimebetween 10:30 and 2.

I am planning on going to Mobile tomorrow as long as the 'bat phone' doesn't ring and will be eating somewhere, the wife likes mexican, but I wasn't to impressed with our last lunch at El Toro's (have OC'd there twice), may look for another mexican resturaunt...Then again, I haven't eaten at Ryans in a while either.:?

HungSquirrel

imported post

Give Azteca's a shot. They're just north of I-10 on 90, next to Waffle House. One of my regular Mexican joints. I've never OCed there, because they have enormous margaritas, and they don't skimp on the alcohol content. :celebrate

Mississippian

imported post

Well, the rain messed me up on my rounds in Mobile today, but I did OC at Mobile Shooting Center while buying my new OC "accessory". I bought a new 1911-A1 Mil-Spec 5"stainless .45 ACP from them today:celebratefor around $200.00 cheaper than anywhere else I have looked including the i-net:celebrate:celebrate. I just wish I coulda taken it home:cuss:, maybe it'll be intomorrow (having to ship it to Guns & Ammo in Moss Point.

Was kinda interesting, a guy was in there looking to buy a cheap handgun just in case it gets stolen out of his vehicle and I mentioned jokingly that if a guy was to wear it like I'm doing, it would never get stolen, that was when I was told by the whole staff (two young ladies and one olderman) that OC was in fact illegal in AL and one of the ladies evensaid if her husband saw me OCing, that I would be arrested:shock:.

Well, I know what battles to pick and new I was "out-gunned" there (pun intended:D), so after paying for my new OCpeace piece, I got their fax number and after getting home, I sent a few pages (borrowed from ALFRA)and some website addressesthat brought upthe law in AL regarding the OC of handguns.

I hope the young lady was 'exaggerating' about what here hubby would do,so maybe more of us need to OC there more often, what could it hurt, you may find a good deal too, just watch out for hubby!:D:dude:

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

are you kidding me Mississippian, I shop there all the time they have alot of good deals, but open carrying isn't illegal at all. One of the young ladies there is named Ashley, she's the manager, maybe I should go by there and drop off some pamphlets showing them that open carry in this state is fact a legal right under our constitution. If her husband did arrest you , he would completeing a false arrest and be in alittle trouble if you got a lawyer on the case. He can't arrest you for OC'ing period thats crazy and her husband must be a LEO cause she's been misguided about the facts and she needs to read our rights as American citizens, and citizens of Al.:celebrate

Mississippian

imported post

Well, Karen is the one who signed my receipt, and I know for a fact she said OC is illegal, but I think it was one of the other young ladies that made the 'husband' remark.

Now don't get me wrong, they weren't rude at all, probably more 'concerned' that I was breaking the law (or so they think), but then again, they were selling me a $600.00+ handgun.;)

As for OCing in there, I've been in there probably a half dozen times in the past few months and have never had a reaction, but I was the one who brought it up and have never talked about OCing whilein there before...Until now, they probably ass-u-me-d I was a LEO or just didn't notice.

I faxed the ALFRA pamplets to them along with the AGs letter regarding OC and I plugged the ALFRA forum addressas well as the OCDO forum address, and in my signature line (I use a email-to-fax program to send faxes) is my contact info with an email address and fax number. I would really like the LEO 'husband' to make contact to see exactly what crime I would be charged by just OCing.

Sure wouldn't hurt for a few others in the area to stop off in there while OCing and maybe ask if they mind if a few OC pamplets were dropped off.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OH I AGREE WITH YOU COMPLETELY, SO YOU FAXED ALL THAT INFORMATION TO THE MOBILE SHOOTING CENTER ALREADY. I USE TO HAVE A PAMPHLET AND I WAS GOING TO GO AND GET COPIES MADE AND TAKE THEM AROUND, BUT I LOST THE PAMPLET AND FORGOT WHICH AREA ON OPENCARRY.ORG AT WHICH I GOT IT, PLEASE HELP ME OUT ON THIS AND I'LL DO MY BEST TO HELP IN THE BEST REGARDS ON THIS ISSUE THAT I CAN, THEY ARE VERY PROFESSIONAL AND NICE YOUNG LADIES, BUT I ASSUME THEY'VE BEEN MISLEAD ON THE OC'ING THING COMPLETELY.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey thanx Mississippian, I ended up looking for it last night under all the alabama gun rights stuff and found it, but thanx for putting it up there anywayz, I'm going to make lots of copies of it take of the tri-fold flyer.

Mississippian

imported post

Well, I thought today was going to be the day.

After doing my stops in Mobile, I decided to see if walmart had any .45 ammo. Well, as soon as I turned the corner past the fishing isle, I noticed a Mobile policeman standing in the back corner, facing out and talking on a cell. I know he saw my handgun as he was on my strong side the whole time I was talking to the clerk and checking out, but even after getting off the phone, he just 'nodded' at me as he walked past...There is no way he didn't notice.

Anyway walmart @ Rangeline has 3-50countboxes left of Winchester .45 JHP for $19.97 each.

"Carry On":cool: