• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry of firearms is a right under siege

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2009/02/08/opinion/letters/let4.txt

--May 2008, West Milwaukee. College graduate is detained, disarmed, arrested and then released. No charges filed.

--August 2008, West Allis. Private citizen is detained at gunpoint, disarmed, arrested and charged with disorderly conduct (all the while on his own property in his own backyard).
--February 2009, Beaver Dam. School teacher placed on administrative leave.

What does each of these have in common? In each case the individual was doing nothing more than lawfully open carrying a firearm.

The Wisconsin Constitution protects the individual’s right to keep and bear arms, and even though both Gov. Jim Doyle and Chief Justice Abrahamson have acknowledged the citizen’s right to openly carry a firearm, government at all levels (school administration, police officers, county sheriffs, police chiefs, district attorneys) has declared war on your constitutional rights.

A resolution acknowledging your constitutional rights will be submitted to the La Crosse County Judiciary and Law Committee on Tuesday and to the La Crosse County Executive Committee on Wednesday. I encourage all citizens to attend these two meetings and demand the county board acknowledge your constitutional rights.

The resolution is being re-submitted to La Crosse County this week. If there are any readers/contributers here who would like to attend, the dates, times, places of the meetings can be found here: http://www.co.la-crosse.wi.us/Calendars/CommitteesCalendar.htm
Feb. 10 Judiciary & Law 2:30 p.m. Room 3220
Feb. 11 Executive Committee 3:30 p.m. Room 3220
Hope to see you there.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

My letter of today to the Door County Advocate, Peninsula Pulse and the Washington Island Observer.

Dear Editor,

Our Right to Keep And Bear Arms is under siege at all levels of government. The new administration has raised the hopes of success of the petty-tyrants among our neighbors with its promises of change.

May we of Door County convince our Board of Supervisors to recognize and acknowledge Section 25 of Article I of the Constitution of Wisconsin and the Second Amendment to the Constitution of The United States by petition? Here are some words that might be sent to the Board by all concerned citizens. I have sent my resolution request and will send it again.

Whereas, Door County of Wisconsin affirms that the people have the constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting and recreation or any other lawful purpose.

Be it resolved that open carry is not an unlawful means to exercise these rights, and that no one may restrict the lawful exercise of these constitutionally protected individual rights.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island
Wisconsin

mailto:letters@ppulse.com
mailto:wiobserver@dcwis.com
mailto:advocate@doorcountyadvocate.com

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Doug, I like the letter, But I thinkyour second sentencemay be better accepted if it is placed near the center of your statement or near the end. ("The new administration has raised the hopes of success of the petty-tyrants among our neighbors with its promises of change.")
Their are alot obamaniacs in our midst and they may see that statement as a slam against their new messiah and disregard the rest of your message before even reading it. I agree that the clown in office has created a whole weird attitude amongst his followers and makes them think they have specialrights now and nobody else's rights need to be met.

I think your letter is perfect for the mindset of the people on this forum, but we are not the ones we are trying to convince that open-carry is legal. The Obamaniacs are an anti-gun mob and a slam to their great leader won't get you too far