• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First negative experience

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

You never know how you will react to hostile or negative people until you encounter them. We all have different reactions to hostile behavior and questioning. I think you did good under the circumstances. Next time you will be better prepared mentally to deal with this sort of thing

I simply tell people "Nope." if they ask if I am a cop. Then they usually ask "security?" And I say "Nope." Then they get real confused and one of several things happen. They decide they are uncomfortable and walk away (hey I cross the street to avoid big dogs, so what the heck, we all have our comfort levels) they think it's real cool what I'm doing and ask all sorts of questions, or they try to engage me in some sort of argument about why people carry guns. Either way it works out for me. People either leave me alone, or the conversation continues on my own terms. Win-win. Sometimes I simply wish to be left alone, regardless of how I wear my gun, what t-shirt I'm wearing, or what book I'm reading. So I'll politely acknowledge a person and their questions, then go back to what I'm doing. Other times I'm happy to engage in conversation.

I find a simple, honest answer is the best. There is no reason to suggest anything but the truth. If you are unable or unwilling to be directly honest, then perhaps OCing in a state where few do it may not suit you.

Nozoki

imported post

Could you get in trouble if, after you respond that you are not a cop and they keep asking why you have a gun, you say that you are in charge of security for an important client? You don't have to tell them that you are the important client.

heresolong

imported post

Nozoki wrote:
Could you get in trouble if, after you respond that you are not a cop and they keep asking why you have a gun, you say that you are in charge of security for an important client? You don't have to tell them that you are the important client.
I don't feel like I need an excuse to carry a gun. This seems a lot like dissembling, leaving them with the impression that yes, you do need to have a particular job in order to carry a firearm.

jbone

imported post

hersolong I commend you on your patience with these knuckleheads. I would have lost me cool with them once they started with the abrasive rudeness, insults and personal inquires. The wife always scolds me when I tell these types to “F” off. They wanted to know nothing of the real issue, sounds like they only wanted to belittle you in public.

Nozoki

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Nozoki wrote:
I don't feel like I need an excuse to carry a gun. This seems a lot like dissembling, leaving them with the impression that yes, you do need to have a particular job in order to carry a firearm.
Excellent point.

compmanio365

imported post

bugly wrote:
If asked "are you a cop?", reply with "Are you Sarah Connor?"
This would probably work better if you have sunglasses on...:cool:

Remember to say it in the "Ahnuld" voice too, adds emphasis.....:lol:

Seriously though, heresolong, I think you handled it pretty well. You didn't allow them to get you upset (which was their real objective; I don't buy the "I'm scared of your gun" bit. If these type of people were really scared, they'd leave you alone, no?), and you answered all their harassing questions to the best of your ability (I'm not sure I would have succeeded in keeping an attitude out of the conversation....). I don't think anyone can ask any more of you than that.

And as far as "needing a gun in Blaine", I used to live up there several years ago, and even then there was a definite need to make sure one was able to defend themselves.....plenty of meth heads out in the woods cooking their wares and starting trouble, and lots of people partaking as well. The Sheriff out there in Whatcom County took at least several hours to respond to a call from several people where I lived when a fully grown man was outside his house beating a small child half to death. When seconds count, the police out there will be around sometime that week........definitely a "rural" area where you have nobody but yourself to depend on.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I think you handled it great. We don't tend to get scripted answers unless we have practiced with real encounters. I learned some good things to say from the discussions on this post, and think you did good.

Now Blaine, does she live in Blaine and what part? I have had to do some work in some certain areas, and apartments that definately had some bad undercurrent. It is also a Border town and a port of entry and departing of many undesirables and folks who have no regard for "law".