• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New ideas for the Metro Detroit area from todays meeting.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Here is the link for the 2009 Woodward Dream Cruise. See FAQ's there may be some pertinent info for a MOC event.

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/index.php

Also, a link for Rules & Regulations for the 2007 St. Patrick's Day Parade in Ferndale to possibly use as a guideline for MOC. It does indicate who is allowed to be in the parade.

http://www.downtownferndale.com/PDF/ParadeRandR2007.pdf

ETA: 2009 list of Festivals & Events in Michigan

http://www.michiganfun.us/findevents.cfm?mo=4&yr=2009&zone=

Ruckus

imported post

After the meeting I looked around on various city's web sites for parade information. I didn't put a lot of time into it, but I did find that many of the memorial day parades do not allow the passing of literature, political statements, banners, etc.

So we need to think about what city/town has a large 4th of July or Labor Day festival w/ parade. Or, any kind of festival parade for that matter. I know on the west side in Grand Haven they have that Coast Guard Festival. Stuff like that. Wasn't there a guy who was wrongly arrested for open carry in Grand Haven at that festival last year?

Also, I know in my area the Romeo Peach Festival is a fairly big deal around here with a parade. I checked on their site from last year and they had a form to fill out as a request to participate in the parade. Romeo won't be til late September, maybe Labor Day. Richmond Good Ol Days is the week after the Peach Festival. New Baltimore has the Fishfly Festival that has a pretty good parade. I think that's in late June around JobbieNooner time. Yeah, lets set up a table at Jobbie Nooner! haha!:celebrate

Maybe we can get some input from members in different regions of the state that have festivals w/ parades in their communities.

I imagine any parade that is a big deal has a website with some sort of participation request form or something to submit.

Also, I like the Dream Cruise Idea. Anyone want to airbrush the MOC shield on the hood of their classic muscle car? :what:

taxwhat

imported post

Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Dream Cruise we pretty much gotta go to. I'll be going there even if no one else from here does. :cool:

The banners are exactly what we talked about at the meeting, along with passing out fliers. Just gotta find a good one that will let us be in it.
Why wouldn't they let you be in it? They let the boy/girls scouts we are as dangerous as they are. For god's sake they let in politicians...the most dangerous animal there is.
Dream Cruise: IMHO : Bad place to convince any one that anything but beer shiny old cars anddumb exist . One day event that makes every one sheep or over heat on Woodward ? Slow easy flea market approach may be better ,Gun show is a 50-50 pro gun OC ,CC or LEO only ?Go where you may gather new that are PRO OC and/or CC ?

taxwhat

imported post

springerdave wrote:
So you don't like car shows? Don't go! Maybe some gun guys think cars are cool too. What is dumb about the Dream Cruise? Please explain so we can understand.springerdave.
First one is try to explain 2A to someone who came to look and talk autos past and future . Then it is one day event drawing many from all over the states.Money talks many sponsors have reduced or pulled. So as nice highly polished autos loved by all who can remember owning or riding in one talk big block or small vs stock or custom . As the sheep line the street to be told where and what they may do to enjoy themselves ."Rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy ". Add rain ,beer ,hot sun ,lot of non residents ,hostel newbies tried of property damage ,etc. should be easy to talk and recruit OCers! springerdave just what are you volunteering to do for this event or any other ?

Michigander

imported post

The Libertarian party has a spot they always camp out on, and pass out literature. It is an event that draws many people for many reasons. I would say that non intrusive OCers would be vastly less offensive than aggressive junk food peddlers. After all, unless someone asks us what we're up to, we'd just be there to see the cars like everyone else.

I open carry when I can, and that certainly will include the dream cruise. It will not be a high visibility event for us, but I don't know of a reason why we shouldn't meet up.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

taxwhat, I will volunteer when I want for what I want. I will try to be to the point, if you don't want to go to the Dream Cruise or any other car event DON'T GO. Some of the others may think that shiny old cars are cool and maybe the ultimate old shiny car would be one with a big gun on it. Or better yet maybe a big shiny gun with wheels on it! It shouldn't make any difference to you if someone wants to attend this event OCing. I haven't had the opportunity to attend as yet, but there is still time. Maybe Michigander could show me where the best place to witness the event would be. Best regards,springerdave.

viperar15

imported post

springerdave wrote:
So you don't like car shows? Don't go! Maybe some gun guys think cars are cool too. What is dumb about the Dream Cruise? Please explain so we can understand.springerdave.

ok, so about most the crowd that normally comes down with me to the dream cruise (or even more) are all about shooting, guns, cars,and all that type of stuff. i think its the perfect place to have something like that.

people see us. people will question us about it. people walk up and down the streets... and not just some. tons. plus it is not a single day event. there is 1 main day event, yes. but woodward is covered with people and stuff going on for the whole week before up until the show.

as far as it being high visibility or not... if we have a table with the banner up in the air over head (which i have trussing and stands for), the table would not be all that hidden anyway. so it could become a very high visibility event.

also... who cares if thepeople are for or against it. the idea is to get the information out about it. you will find those that are for it. those that are against it. etc. you will find that everywhere. we even see that here on the forums.

and there are soo many good places to view the event from. i'm normally at Mustang Ally with my mustang (but probably not this year since i have a bunch of repair work to do).

i just have to get this years date and i'm putting in for several days off for that dream cruise. :-D

just my opinion since i have attended the dream cruise many times and seen many things other then just car and drinking stuff going on. ya get abortion stuff, political stuff, cars, trucks, shows, vendors for all kinds of stuff.

when we get around to this... i'll be on board for volunteering to help out.

SQLtables

imported post

I really don't know what the size difference is between Frankenmuth Auto Fest and the Dream Cruise, but when I went to the block party in Frankenmuth tons of people noticed. Main Street was PACKED full of people. I heard a couple telling the Frankenmuth police about me, and heard them talking about me on their radios.. and it even helped me get a trip into the Chiefs office for a nice little chat about OC when I was having a gun "safety inspected", and I really do mean it was a nice chat.

It really doesn't matter what kind of people we think attend car shows. We shouldn't be picking and choosing who we pass the information along to, and we certainly should not have to pick and choose where or when we OC based on the people who will be there (aside from safety issues)

viperar15

imported post

frankenmuth would be another good one.

dream cruise is a 16mile long show that runs from Ferndale to Pontiac.

The Dream Cruise takes place along a 16-mile stretch of legendary Woodward Avenue through the nine host communities of Berkley, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Ferndale, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Pontiac and Royal Oak, in Southeast Michigan

The Woodward Dream Cruise is the world's largest one-day celebration of classic car culture that attracts over 1 million visitors, and more than 40,000 muscle cars, street rods, custom, collector and special interest vehicles.

Michigander

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
We shouldn't be picking and choosing who we pass the information along to, and we certainly should not have to pick and choose where or when we OC based on the people who will be there (aside from safety issues)
Infringed as my rights are these days, I carry almost everywhere that I can publicly. I don't pick and chose where or when to OC, because I consider my sidearm a daily item to be carried everywhere just like my wallet. For the purpose of MOC, the only question that should ever be asked is who is interested in a meet up, not how politically correct it will be.

taxwhat

imported post

springerdave wrote:
taxwhat, I will volunteer when I want for what I want. I will try to be to the point, if you don't want to go to the Dream Cruise or any other car event DON'T GO. Some of the others may think that shiny old cars are cool and maybe the ultimate old shiny car would be one with a big gun on it. Or better yet maybe a big shiny gun with wheels on it! It shouldn't make any difference to you if someone wants to attend this event OCing. I haven't had the opportunity to attend as yet, but there is still time. Maybe Michigander could show me where the best place to witness the event would be. Best regards,springerdave.
The chipyou carry is consuming you . You do as you see fit any time any where . Hope you enjoy the dream cruse . Just remember hundreds of thousands of handouts at whos expense and how many will go into trash? Its only money ! Oh I have business owners at 12 mile west side with two story building ,restrooms ,air ,free parking ,free food ,soft drinks ,cold water, and great friends .God Bless !

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

No chip , really just tired of the negative comments. If some guys want to look at cars old or new great, but why do you say its dumb and imply that we/ they are wasting resources. Any hand outs that I have given out have been at MY expense taxwhat. "Hundreds of thousands of handouts" what does that mean? What are you trying to imply. I have received nothing from you. It sounds to me as if you need to be "camp director" or you are not happy. What kind of business owners do you have at 12 mile. At whose expense is the free food, soft drinks, air, cold water... the rant is now off. It will be a good night. May God continue to bless and keep you.springerdave.

taxwhat

imported post

springerdave wrote:
No chip , really just tired of the negative comments. If some guys want to look at cars old or new great, but why do you say its dumb and imply that we/ they are wasting resources. Any hand outs that I have given out have been at MY expense taxwhat. "Hundreds of thousands of handouts" what does that mean? What are you trying to imply. I have received nothing from you. It sounds to me as if you need to be "camp director" or you are not happy. What kind of business owners do you have at 12 mile. At whose expense is the free food, soft drinks, air, cold water... the rant is now off. It will be a good night. May God continue to bless and keep you.springerdave.
HEY ! springerdave "" really just tired of the negative comments""You may not understand IMO ? When one puts that on a post ,it is just that an opine and mine .YOU are entitled to yours ! If you are clear on that ? Please do not mix the thoughts of mine with your never having been there [Dream Cruse] .Very nice event BUT KINDA like Charity Preview at North American Auto Show [ Cobo] .Does a lot of good for many but some May not attend [ MONEY tickets ,Black Tie] .The phrase feeding frenzy comes to mind ! The people at 12 mile chose not to rant on their work with special needs children as all is paid for by donations and none are turned away .So Please get real and ready for IMO:and/or someones elses.Now that I have answered your questions What is the name of your Open Carry or Closed Carry group or your position on executive Board ?And Who is your Legal Advisor ? Who carries the Liability insurance for your handouts and your staff ?Also sure that at Dream Cruse you have taken care or Hucksters permit ?

Taurus850CIA

imported post

If private property may be posted "anti-gun", then it may also be posted "pro-gun". How about the idea of approaching management to ask if they will post a small sign wherever we have a successful gathering?

SQLtables

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
If private property may be posted "anti-gun", then it may also be posted "pro-gun". How about the idea of approaching management to ask if they will post a small sign wherever we have a successful gathering?

I'd love to see that, but I'm afraid you'd have a very hard time getting a business to post something like that, at least the larger companies. You could always try though. I hope I'm wrong.

The other issue is just because you had a good experience at a place and are "welcomed" back does not mean the managment likes it.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:

I'd love to see that, but I'm afraid you'd have a very hard time getting a business to post something like that, at least the larger companies. You could always try though. I hope I'm wrong.

The other issue is just because you had a good experience at a place and are "welcomed" back does not mean the managment likes it.
Yes, I thought of that. Every victory, no matter how small, is important though, and you have to start somewhere. It might be worth a try. All they can say is "no".