• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC gun law question

Icarus

imported post

Hi everyone,

Just had a quick question about where one is allowed to shoot in North Carolina. Does it have to be at a formal shooting range or private property, or are there public lands where it is all right to shoot?

I just moved toHampton Roads area ofVirginia right by NC, and there just aren't any good outdoor ranges around here for me to shoot my AR-15 and other rifles. Back on the west coast, there were BLM lands in theCA desertwhere you could set up your own range, and even better in Nevada, where you could just pull off the road a few hundred feet and shoot (as long as you weren't within a certain distance of buildings, etc.).

Is there anything like this in NC, or do any of you know of any good outdoorranges in northeast NC?

Thank you all for your help!

Gilly

imported post

I can't quote the NC Statute (if any) but I shoot at my frien's house all the time. I know that discharge of a firearm is legal out where he lives and nobody cares.

NCjones

imported post

There are some private ranges you can shoot at. It is also legal to shoot on your own property or property of another person with their permission. Be advised that most of the towns and cities have laws prohibiting discharging firearms, so you'll have to be out in the country to shoot.

it won't be hard to find yourself a farmer that will let you shoot out in one of his fields once you get to know people.