• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Student faces expulsion for fake drill team guns

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=109380&catid=339
Marie Morrow, a 17-year-old senior at Cherokee Trail High School in Aurora, is serving a 10-day suspension. Her punishment could be extended at an expulsion hearing later this month.
Morrow is a student leader in the Douglas County Young Marines, a group dedicated to teaching leadership and life skills.

Cherry Creek Schools suspended Morrow after other students reported seeing guns inside her SUV, which was parked outside school while she was in class.

The school also called police, who seized the three drill team guns made of wood, plastic and duct tape. Police told Morrow to claim them in time for her after-school drill practice off-campus.

School administrators, however, were less understanding. The guns were declared "authentic representations of genuine weapons," triggering a mandatory expulsion statute in state law.

"I have never been in trouble at all," said Morrow, who is planning to attend the United States Merchant Marine Academy. "I hadn't imagined in a million years that anything like this would have happened."

Chris Proctor, commanding officer of the Douglas County Young Marines, was rebuffed in his attempt to explain the props to school leaders.

"There's no mistaking that these are not real rifles," said Proctor. "I think somewhere along the line, logic has to take over and they have to be able to make exceptions to the rules."

"Marie is one of the best kids that you could ever imagine," he said.

"I could see where the school could be freaked out about it," said Morrow. "But I think there should be some leeway with the law based on situations and realize this is just an honest mistake."

"The law doesn't make any distinction between a genuine weapon and a facsimile," said Cherry Creek Schools spokeswoman Tustin Amole.

Amole says federal and state laws mandate expulsion, and that school districts only have discretion to determine the length of that expulsion.

Asked who had the discretion to deem the props "dangerous weapons," Amole said school administrators and police made the decision based on state law that defines a "dangerous weapon" as "a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or a firearm facsimile that could reasonably be mistaken for an actual firearm."

Amole said the props in Morrow's vehicle caused concern among students and administrators who made an "assumption" that the weapons appeared "genuine."

Morrow's mother grew emotional while saying she hoped her daughter would continue her volunteer and service work despite the incident.

"I just don't want it to affect her view on the world, (make her believe) that people who do the right thing don't come out on top," said her mother, Jennifer McGrew. "I've always kind of really looked up to my daughter for having a mind of her own and going places that I never even dreamed."

A hearing officer could recommend Morrow be allowed back in school after her 10-day suspension or could expel her for as much as the rest of her senior year. The final decision belongs to the Cherry Creek Schools superintendent.

Morrow, who has already secured the necessary recommendation from a member of Congress to attend the Merchant Marine Academy, has been told an expulsion would not derail her eventual acceptance to the Academy.

"As long as I can get my diploma, I guess everything else will work itself out," said Morrow, who explained she's trying to focus on her planned career of service. "It's not going to be the end of the world."
At the rate they are going, Colorado should be as anti gun as Wisconsin in no time.

Flyer22

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
At the rate they are going, Colorado should be as anti gun as Wisconsin in no time.
It has nothing to do with being anti-gun. It's entirely because of the popular"zero tolerance" (i.e., zero common sense) policies. The school would have reacted the same way if somebody had seen a butter knife in her car.

old dog

imported post

I'm so sorry this young lady was subjected to such shabby treatment. I wonder if the aim is to intimidate others by showing them the rules will be twisted at will, that there is no protection for targets of the PC crowd, that accusation is proof of guilt.

Shame on the lot of you!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Maybe she should carry a crayon colored CCW facimily, so she can carry wood in her car.

This is why you need to fire any politition after 1 term. They need to live on the side
that gets the law shoved up thier a** to get the idea they were morons.

sraacke

imported post

It's a shame how things have become in our schools. My class mates had rifles in gun racks in the back window of their pickup trucks. Back when my dad was in Junoir ROTC in high school they actually learned how to shoot real rifles, M-14s I think, and he even told mehow they went to the mearby military base and trained on other weapons such as mortars. Doubt that training like that would be allowed today. We have lost so much as a nation.

Kimberdude

imported post

Very, very sad.....when I was in high school, we brought guns to school, dropped them off at the principals office, then later in day got them and went to range shooting for class. Our yearbook that year had a front page picture of the pricipal with 2 rifles on his knee and a real silly grin.

My, how things have changed.