• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun show advice

SQLtables

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
This is probably off basis of the conversations on this post, but is CC allowed at gun shows?

Custom.45acp

Depends on the gun show, just like OC. If it's private property, they can definitely prohibit CC. In general, if they can prohibit OC, they can prohibit CC as well.

custom.45acp

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
per their information sheet....

5. No loaded firearms in show, except for police officers
with badge and I.D.

Thank you for the response, but where did you get your information? (Reference for myself and others)

Thank you,

Custom.45acp

viperar15

imported post

once i get home where i can get to the site, i can give you an exact link. its under one of the links on the main web site page. plus i know from the few of their shows i have been to (not that specific location) they have always posted no guns at the front doors.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I couldn't find any information on the website but I can say that, based upon first person experience, it is true. (I admit, this is hearsay). I had a long discussion with the staff at the door last year and they basically just ask if you have a firearm on your person at the door. If you answer Yes, they ask that you unload it outside of the building, re-enter, then the people at the door put a neon zip tie through the chamber (or cylinder for a revolver) to stop you from reloading the firearm. You may then enter the building.

BTW, I thought it strange that by me asking the questions about their carry policy they forgot to ask ME if I was carrying a firearm...oops;)

David in MI

imported post

Just a note: There is a thread going on right now over at http://www.defensivecarry.com regarding some of the information given out at your table (at least I am assuming it was your table) over the weekend. I posted in the thread but someone who is more knowledgeable than I may want to mosey on over as I am not too familiar with the laws in this area.

It is essentially regarding the open carry of firearms in the pistol-free zones. Here is a link:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/open-carry-issues-discussions/72741-explain-me.html

SpringerXDacp

imported post

David in MI wrote:
Just a note: There is a thread going on right now over at http://www.defensivecarry.com regarding some of the information given out at your table (at least I am assuming it was your table) over the weekend. I posted in the thread but someone who is more knowledgeable than I may want to mosey on over as I am not too familiar with the laws in this area.

It is essentially regarding the open carry of firearms in the pistol-free zones. Here is a link:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/open-carry-issues-discussions/72741-explain-me.html

Personally, I think the members over there should take a good look in the mirror to really see who the "Fruit-loops, Idiots & Know-it-all's" truly are.

It most always seems that the Fudd's, Anti OC'ers & Trolls are located in the States' where OC is prohibited....Go figure.

David in MI

imported post

Thanks for dropping by in that thread. I am still pretty unfamiliar with many aspects of openly carrying and your posts were very helpful. It sounds like you may have won a convert (Thanis) too!

T Vance

imported post

Well I sent Kimberguy a PM about this, but I figured I post it on here and see how everyone else responds to these questions.

1) I was told during my CPL class that you can carry a concealed pistol into a "bar" as long as they sell food. Yet when I read the MSP website sules for carrying it reads "A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises". Just curious what you have know about this.

Here is the link for that...

http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10947--,00.html

2) It states that if you are carrying concealed and have an encounter with the police that you must "cooperate fully with the officer" and "[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show bothof the following to a police officer:[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"] His or her license to carry a concealed pistol[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"] His or her driver license or personal identification card[/font]

http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10941--,00.html

But upon reading about Open Carry, it states that I only have give them my name and address.

3) I understand that it is not safe to leave your pistol alone in the car (someone may steal it), but if I really needed to leave it in my car and had to go into an establishment that stated (or posted a sign)they did not allow guns,is it illegal to return to my car and leave it in there while I am not in the car? I do own a personal electronic safe that I keep my gun in, and can easily place the gun in that safe is left in my car.

4) If I am asked to leave a business establishment (such as Walmart, Home Depot, or Daryl's Downtown...mmmmmmm, Daryl's Downtown!!!) I must comply correct? Otherwise I am trespassing. I assume this goes if I am not carrying a weapon also.

5) Is it legal to carry openly or concealed if I enter a police station, or sheriff's station? Not that I plan to, just curious.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to these.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

T Vance wrote:
1) I was told during my CPL class that you can carry a concealed pistol into a "bar" as long as they sell food. Yet when I read the MSP website sules for carrying it reads "A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises". Just curious what you have know about this.
Not True. You can OC in a bar if you have a CPL. You can't CC in a bar. All these are answered in the OC info thread at the top of the Michigan forum page.

http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10947--,00.html

2) It states that if you are carrying concealed and have an encounter with the police that you must "cooperate fully with the officer" and "[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show bothof the following to a police officer:[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"] His or her license to carry a concealed pistol[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"] His or her driver license or personal identification card[/font]
ONLY IF YOU ARE CARRYING CONCEALED. If you do not have a weapon concealed you do not have to inform them or give ID if the stop is for an OC gun. They can ask for ID anytime, but you don't have to give ID unlessyou are driving a vehicle. Otherwise you can refuse to give ID or answer any questions a LEO may ask. You have the right to remain silent and ask for an attorney.

http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10941--,00.html

But upon reading about Open Carry, it states that I only have give them my name and address.
As long as you don't have a concealed gun You don't have to give them anything. Michigan is not a stop and ID state.
You only need ID and your CPL if carrying concealed or you are carrying openly in the restricted areas. In other-words if you are OCing in a Kroger (they sell booze) you would have to have your CPL and ID and would need to show it to an Officer if asked. Same in any place you have an exception made for a CPL holder.
3) I understand that it is not safe to leave your pistol alone in the car (someone may steal it), but if I really needed to leave it in my car and had to go into an establishment that stated (or posted a sign)they did not allow guns,is it illegal to return to my car and leave it in there while I am not in the car? I do own a personal electronic safe that I keep my gun in, and can easily place the gun in that safe is left in my car.
It is not illegal to leave your gun in a car. That is a personal choice. A safe makes it harder to steal.

4) If I am asked to leave a business establishment (such as Walmart, Home Depot, or Daryl's Downtown...mmmmmmm, Daryl's Downtown!!!) I must comply correct? Otherwise I am trespassing. I assume this goes if I am not carrying a weapon also.
Correct.
5) Is it legal to carry openly or concealed if I enter a police station, or sheriff's station? Not that I plan to, just curious.
Yes it's legal, state preemption comes into play. The exception is if the building also has a court in it. If so they can ban weapons.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to these.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

T Vance wrote:
So if a store sells alcohol I must have a CPL to OC?
That is correct. If a place has any kind of liquor license you must have a CPL to carry there. If you have a CPL you then can either OC or CC.