• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Young Marine' Faces Expulsion For Replica Rifles

vbnative73

imported post

http://tinyurl.com/aoxe9r

:banghead:

DENVER -- For Marie Morrow, the equipment left in the back seat of her car was for an upcoming competition. She said she never expected it would lead to her being suspended from school -- or possibly expelled."I take responsibility, it was my mistake," Morrow told 7NEWS. She left three drill team "practice" rifles in plain view of passing students last week.Morrow, who says she has a 3.5 grade point average, is a member of the Douglas County Young Marines. She said she spins the practice rifles for the organization’s drill team.
Staff members at Cherokee Trail High School were alerted by concerned students who thought they might be real, said a Cherry Creek Schools spokeswoman."They went inside. They were anxious. They were frightened," school district spokeswoman Tustin Amole said.The mock rifles are made of wood, with duct tape, to resemble a real rifle.Amole explained the school district’s policy mirrors state and federal laws about weapons in schools, and calls for "mandatory expulsion" when possessing a dangerous weapon in any school building.A student conduct handbook states a dangerous weapon includes "a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or a firearm facsimile that could reasonably be mistaken for an actual firearm.""You have to remember these laws were implemented in the years after Columbine," Amole said, and added the school was left with no choice."We follow the state law," Amole said."I understand exactly why the policy is there," Morrow said on the east steps of the state capitol Monday.Chris Proctor, commanding officer of the Douglas County Young Marines, praised Morrow's commitment to the program and school."For her to have to go through this is completely insane," Proctor said.The Young Marine Organization is the official youth program of the U.S. Marine Corps and focused on drug reduction and leadership, Proctor explained.Morrow, dressed in her drill team uniform, visited the capitol to visit with lawmakers about the possibility of changing the state statute relating to weapons in schools."It should be up to the discretion of the school board to say, 'OK, there's no intent, it was just a mistake,'" Morrow said with her mom, brother, and friends looking on.Morrow, who plans to attend the United States Merchant Marine Academy, met briefly with and gained support from several legislators on the hill.Sen. Scott Renfroe, (R-Weld County,) said the 17-year-old was the topic of discussion among fellow senators."We need to look at this and add some common sense to our statute," Renfroe said.Reps. Cindy Acree, (R-Aurora,) and Frank McNulty, (R-Highlands Ranch,) held an impromptu meeting with Morrow and her family inside the capitol.Acree told 7NEWS she doesn't fault the school district for enforcing state laws."We just have to make sure it's not overbearing for our administrators and students, so they can still be kids," Acree said.She explained she may seek to amend the state statute with a late bill during the current legislative session.Acree added she is also writing a letter to colleagues "so we can support (Marie) before she goes to her hearing."Amole said an expulsion hearing will be held within 10 days of a student suspension. An expulsion officer will make a recommendation to the superintendent, who will rule on the length of expulsion.Morrow said she her expulsion hearing is Feb. 20."I'm just hoping I can go back to school and graduate with my class and take my AP tests and all that," she said.

:banghead:

ufcfanvt

imported post

I hope it happens more often, in every town in the US, esp. the rural ones.
I hope kids are prosecuted and do jail time. I hope their career opportunities are ruined. I hope it all happens soon.
If not, this slimy, crawling infestation of moronic thought will (and in many cases has) become "common sense."

Here's to hoping for LOTS of pain :) You have to hit bottom before you (well, the collective masses) realize there's a problem.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Common Sense is dead. The 'educators' are incapable of rational thought. Another example of the lunatics running the asylums.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Looks like common sense (and a lot of bad press) wins the day.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11698834

Marie Morrow is heading back to class after the superintendent of the Cherry Creek School District decided that she has paid enough for bringing fake rifles to school.
"I'm just glad to be back in school and have this whole thing over with," said Morrow, a senior at Cherokee Trail High School in Aurora. "I expected to get the minimum sentence, which is what they did."
Morrow was suspended Feb. 5 after other students saw the props in her vehicle and notified school officials.
Morrow is commander of the drill team of the Douglas County Young Marines, which teaches leadership and life skills.
The group practices at Lutheran High School in Parker and has been preparing for a national drill-team competition in April at the Air

Force Academy. Morrow said she didn't realize she had taken the fake rifles to school with her.

Morrow will be going back to school Wednesday because Monday is Presidents Day and Tuesday is a scheduled day off for everyone. In the meantime, she plans to catch up on her homework.

The Donkey

imported post

School administrators often feel their hands are tied by "zero tolerance" rules. Wish more of them worked out this way.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I am beginning to have zero-tolerance for the inmates that are running this asylum.

I'm already there! All of the asylums for that matter. Where did this nonsense begin? Columbine?

No guns... no pictures of guns, no toy guns... no GI Joe plastic representations of guns. Let's just ninnify EVERYBODY (contrary to the last million years of evolution)

Lets eliminate every vestige and manifestation of the 'warrior gene' in our young and make them docile, defensless, androgenous, SHEEP! Then the world will be sweetness and light...

Alexcabbie

imported post

A few years ago Bowie High School in PG County MD had a couple pipe-bomb incidents. The Superintendent of Schools went on TV and when asked what steps the schools were taking to ensure safety he said:

"We are announcing as of today a "Zero Tolerance" policy for bombs"

:what:

WHAT DID THEY HAVE BEFORE? A THREE-BOMBS-YOU'RE-OUT POLICY?????????

:banghead::banghead:

YllwFvr

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
A few years ago Bowie High School in PG County MD had a couple pipe-bomb incidents. The Superintendent of Schools went on TV and when asked what steps the schools were taking to ensure safety he said:

"We are announcing as of today a "Zero Tolerance" policy for bombs"
We had a kid get expelled when I was in school because he had the makings of a pipe bomb in his locker. A two inch piece of PVC and one 12 gram co2 all of which are and were currently being used to make air powered race cars that run on a track in shop class. But he was expelled for the entire year.

Safety in schools is paramount. I understand this. The future of tomorrow all gathered together makes a target for psychos,but have some common sense people!:banghead: Its getting REALLY ridiculous!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

A 2" section of PVC and a C02 ctg will NOT make a pipe bomb... or any other kind'a bomb w/o some other 'stuff' that I won't go into. I'm a former Aviation Ordnanceman... I know 'bombs'.

I learned somethin' 'bout things that go 'BOOM' whenI was a kid in the '50's... we used to make 'em... Cannons, bombs, rockets w/warheads, (Rocket launchers/bazookas) mines, time bombs and incendiary devices. None of which were cause for alarm or used for 'evil'.

wylde007

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I learned somethin' 'bout things that go 'BOOM' whenI was a kid in the '50's... we used to make 'em... Cannons, bombs, rockets w/warheads, (Rocket launchers/bazookas) mines, time bombs and incendiary devices. None of which were cause for alarm or used for 'evil'.
Try telling that to my neighbor's cat.

:lol:

Seriously, though. Compared to twenty years ago? It's asinine. No toy guns. No pocketknives. No aspirin.

Just more nanny government interfering with people's lives. They vilify and condemn the traits of boys that allow them to grow up and be men and have systematically turned the family dynamic upside down, removing the woman from the role of caregiver and nurturer into second-income-earner because society is so fundamentally and financially damaged that two incomes are almost a necessity just to survive.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Yeah. Most people don't realize that when Hillary said "it takes a village to raise a child" she did NOT mean that the adults in the community should watch over and provide examples for the child (as in my day) but rather that the "village" should pay lots of TAXES to enable dad AND mom to work whilew the "child" grows up in a PC indoctrination camp called a "day-care center". This is f^%$ked up.

wylde007

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Yeah. Most people don't realize that when Hillary said "it takes a village to raise a child" she did NOT mean that the adults in the community should watch over and provide examples for the child (as in my day) but rather that the "village" should pay lots of TAXES to enable dad AND mom to work whilew the "child" grows up in a PC indoctrination camp called a "day-care center". This is f^%$ked up.
I believe you and I understand each other quite a bit more than I at first recognized.

The Donkey

imported post

Now before the US Supreme Court: Redding v. Stafford Unified School District:

whether it was a violation of a 13 year old honor student's right to privacy when she was strip searched on the basis of a report by another student that she had supplied Advil to the student. Distribution of over the counter drugs apparently violated school rules, but the search failed to reveal any medication of any kind.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Strip searched? For Advil? OK... yeah that's reasonable.

Somebody tell me why 'school rules' (whatever they feel like) just trumps the Constitution or even State law? Are these the new Nazi's or what? Don't kids have 'same rights as citizens?

If that'd been my kid... there'd been front page mayhem.:shock: Serious!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Common Sense is dead.
Not yet. Still in print. Got my copy right here. :)

Ol' Tommy Paine had something to say that is applicable here, too.

"...one of those evils which when once established is not easily removed: many submit from fear, others from superstition, and the more powerful part shares with the king the plunder of the rest."

http://www.ushistory.org/paine/commonsense/sense3.htm

End of the twelfth paragraph down from the top.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

These 'educators' (so called) seem to answer to no one. They spend the public money w/o the accountability of Purchase Orders verifiable and justifiedthru Accounting for goods and services, then whine they have no money. They 'make things up' as they go along. Anything that would require a modicum of reasonable thought is broad brushed 'ZERO Tolerance'... based upon... What?From where do they derivesuch authority and lack of accountability? These are not private feifdoms... they are GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS. Ok... somebody tell me they don't create 'law'... based on... nothing. Fear, ignorance, apathy and overbearing custodial control.

You parents should decend on these feifdoms with torches and pitchforks! Buckets of hot tar... bags of feathers 'n fence rails.