• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Young Marine' Faces Expulsion For Replica Rifles

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
SNIP They 'make things up' as they go along. Anything that would require a modicum of reasonable thought is broad brushed 'ZERO Tolerance'... based upon... What?From where do they derivesuch authority and lack of accountability? These are not private feifdoms... they are GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS. Ok... somebody tell me they don't create 'law'... based on... nothing. Fear, ignorance, apathy and overbearing custodial control.
+1

Just today I heard ateacher whining on the radio about tax money being spent on a stadium while she was worried about having enough books.

I'm thinking to myself, "Yeah? So what are you going to do with books? Certainly, you're not educating with them."

wylde007

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I'm thinking to myself, "Yeah? So what are you going to do with books? Certainly, you're not educating with them."
Easy there, killer.

Mrs 007 is a teacher and she feels the pinch, too. She spends some of our personal funds to construct lessons and activities to try and teach as effectively as possible and then we write as much of it off on our federal theft reporting form each year.

And I've seen what she "has" to teach and what she chooses to. She follows enough of the curriculum to get her students pass those asinine SOL tests and then teaches the truth the rest of the time.

Public school teachers are in a tough position because some of them are indeed conflicted about what they're teaching and what the fed.gov is mandating in the classrooms, something they have NO CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to do.

What does this have to do with the 2nd Amendment? Nothing. And everything. The fed.gov sticks their noses into every aspect of our lives where they have no jurisdiction under law... the 2nd Amendment is just one.;)

bobcat

imported post

Easy there, killer.

Mrs 007 is a teacher and she feels the pinch, too. She spends some of our personal funds to construct lessons and activities to try and teach as effectively as possible and then we write as much of it off on our federal theft reporting form each year.

And I've seen what she "has" to teach and what she chooses to. She follows enough of the curriculum to get her students pass those asinine SOL tests and then teaches the truth the rest of the time.

Public school teachers are in a tough position because some of them are indeed conflicted about what they're teaching and what the fed.gov is mandating in the classrooms, something they have NO CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to do.

What does this have to do with the 2nd Amendment? Nothing. And everything. The fed.gov sticks their noses into every aspect of our lives where they have no jurisdiction under law... the 2nd Amendment is just one.;)

Ditto for Mrs. Cat. She gets less than $100 in 'discretionary' funds for her classroom for the entire school year. And thisyear it was Zero $. Cut backs ya know.She normally spends it on such things as extra pencils, 4-function calculators and other simple and cheap learning tools.

I get really disgusted when we pay (and everyone in our county who owns property) high property taxes and she still dips into our personal $$ for additional incidentals that the school should provide. She's still working with an ancient laptop that runs Win98 OS! And yes, that's the only computer she has. I've been real tempted to buy her one, but no, that's the schools task.

There are some principled and conservative teachers around. but they are in quite a box as to what they can say or do. She does cut a fine line and makes sure the kids make the State mandated requirements just like Mrs. 007and then gets on with teaching for learning and life skills... as much as possible.

wylde007

imported post

bobcat wrote
There are some principled and conservative teachers around. but they are in quite a box as to what they can say or do. She does cut a fine line and makes sure the kids make the State mandated requirements just like Mrs. 007and then gets on with teaching for learning and life skills... as much as possible.
And why does she do it? Why does she continue, year after year, to be abused by the system?

Because she loves to teach. She relishes in that moment when a kid who has been struggling with a concept or lesson "gets it".

When a student visits coming back after high school or freshman year in college and says "You made a difference in my life."

I'll bet I could be describing either one of our better halves (more like two-thirds!) but I am also describing thousands of other dedicated, committed and conflicted teachers across America... who want to do the right thing but are required by "law" to do what they know is fundamentally flawed or downright wrong.

And they are doing it more and more in an environment of violence, depravity, immorality, declining family and social structure... one man or woman in class after overflowing class of thugs, illegals and Ritalin zombies.

God bless all of the good ones out there still fighting the good fight.

Alexcabbie

imported post

By golly, when I was in school, if you misbehaved badly enough you by-God got the paddle, hard. And most of us could expect the belt when we got home, too. We learned that way that actions have consequenses. Nobody would ever THINK of bringing a firearm to school except a water or cap pistol that, when discovered, would be confiscated; usually never to be seen again. The police were only brought in if there was say one of the Special Ed kids going ballistic and n need of restraint or, in high school if there was an element of drug use going on.

The High School Principal and his assistants were chosen as much for their physical ability to forcibly subdue unruly adolescents as for ther academic credentials, and to push one of them too far was to invite an incident one would regret. One boy mocked an asst. Principal who had popped into class to correct his behavior, after the pricipoal had left. The fading footsteps stopped and then rapidly clicked back up the hall. The door flew open and the Pricipal grabbed the kid by the scruff of the neck and smacked his face red. He then turned the boy to face us classmates and demanded that he say "I'm a real tough guy". Then he said, "no you areent" and threw the kid back down in his seat. And if his parents had tried to sue over it they would have been laughed outta court. Back then they knew how to handle roughnecks, and they did not try to cure boys of being boys by dosing them with Ritalin and the like.

Junior ROTC drilled with old bolt-action rifles of some sort after school, and my Boy Scout troop had an ROTC detachment that on occasion was allowed to drill with very real M-14s, bayonets and all.

Alas Generation Ritalin One is all grown up (physically at least) and is now teaching Generation Ritalin Two. They are also voting, hence our current "president". And I am at a loss as to which is worse.

wylde007

imported post

I got paddled with a ping-pong paddle with ½" holes drilled in it in elementary school.

My dad didn't whoop me after that because he figured I'd had enough. He could tell.

Students used to RESPECT teachers. I was one of the Ritalin "experiments" when I was in school. I was the only kid I knew on some form of drugs because some idiot psychiatrist told my parents that the reason I wasn't succeeding (read: towing the line) was because I had ADD and lacked focus.

The fact is that I TESTED better than any of the other kids, I just refused to do homework and busy work because I considered it a waste of time... and it was.

wrightme

imported post

Kudos to both of your better halfs for their dedication.

Now to the parent side of the cutbacks, for several years now (son in 5th this year), not only do we pay the property tax, we get a list of required items for the children to take to school. For instance, we buy two boxes of kleenex (full-size boxes) that my son takes to school and gives to the teacher. Similarly we provide glue, glue sticks, pencils and various and sundry supplies that used to be the responsibility of the school (paid for by my property taxes) to provide. I do not agree that the teachers should have to pay out of pocket for such supplies, but also, I do feel that I am providing something that I already paid for.

bobcat wrote:
Easy there, killer.

Ditto for Mrs. Cat. She gets less than $100 in 'discretionary' funds for her classroom for the entire school year. And thisyear it was Zero $. Cut backs ya know.She normally spends it on such things as extra pencils, 4-function calculators and other simple and cheap learning tools.

I get really disgusted when we pay (and everyone in our county who owns property) high property taxes and she still dips into our personal $$ for additional incidentals that the school should provide. She's still working with an ancient laptop that runs Win98 OS! And yes, that's the only computer she has. I've been real tempted to buy her one, but no, that's the schools task.

sheepdog

imported post

...real teachers routinely stick their necks out for our kids, trying to show them their worth and value and inspire them to think and plan for their futures...trying to teach some proper values without having the school board or some half-assed parent down their throats...it seems that all the state's about is getting the kids to pass the XYZ tests so their schools are accredited...I wonder how many teachers like the ones we're talking about will be there in the next generation....I remember when the teachers got parents' support and were wonderful role models...some I've had to deal with with my sons in school wouldn't have made good cab drivers...we owe the teaching profession a big apology....they've been caught between a rock and a hard place and gotten ground down...goes back to what we'll put up with and not raising our voices....but I hear a rumble all across this land the last few days...change may be in the wind...and not the Obomination's planned change, either....time will tell...meanwhile...thanks to our real teachers who're doing the best they can with the butchered, skewed history books they have to work with to teach our kids to be proud Americans.....we can passit down by word of mouth, if we have to......

tracylaud83

imported post

I remember taking a shotgun to school on the bus.

The bus driver said something to the effect of "Shop class?"

To which I replied "YES"

I wasn't the only one doing a homemade stock in shop class.

I could just see the comotion if a kid did that nowadays. And as proof of how evil doing this was, just look at how I turned out. 13+ years Marine Corps, Fed Law Officer, Married to the same women for over 23 years. yep, just evil.

And yes, I do remember being spanked in school, then again from mom when I got home (Don't remember what I did wrong, but I'm sure it was something).