Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: I-95

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    I have to travel the whole length of it, and just wondering if there are any outstanding OC problems. I have to stop at the pilot south of king's Dominion and might have to hit a few rest areas.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    None of which I am aware.

    You probably already realize this next, but I'll toss it in just in case.

    Someof the negative OC encounters reported happened in areas where the cops were thought to know better. Even here in Fairfax County, where the police have supposedly been pacified in a manner of speaking.

    So, we still haven't quite reached the point where one can assume it is safe from police to OC. There is always still that chance you can run into one of that small percentage of cops who personally disagree and are willing to push things just for some harassment value.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    The staties which patrol the highways and rest stops are (typically) better informed, you shouldn't really have any issues as Citizen said.

  4. #4
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    Just wondering. This seems to be somewhat of a grey area. But how does one open carry in their car? I am taking a rather long trip in a few weeks (going across the state) and I would like to open carry until i leave the state.

    How can I carry without fear of going to jail if pulled over or seen getting out of my car?

  5. #5
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    crazydude6030 wrote:
    Just wondering. This seems to be somewhat of a grey area. But how does one open carry in their car? I am taking a rather long trip in a few weeks (going across the state) and I would like to open carry until i leave the state.

    How can I carry without fear of going to jail if pulled over or seen getting out of my car?
    Do a search on here - the topic's been covered many times. In Virginia, the gun must not be "hidden from common observation"
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  6. #6
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    I did search and I have ready about 50 post about it. But its still not very clear to me what that is.

    See I am thinking sure i can velcro that to the dashboard (as one person joked in a post) but wouldn't that give a police officer a reason to drag me out of the car? I am thinking that having a gun in plain sight loaded and being able to easly reach it is just asking for it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    348

    Post imported post

    crazydude6030 wrote:
    I did search and I have ready about 50 post about it. But its still not very clear to me what that is.

    See I am thinking sure i can velcro that to the dashboard (as one person joked in a post) but wouldn't that give a police officer a reason to drag me out of the car? I am thinking that having a gun in plain sight loaded and being able to easly reach it is just asking for it.
    Wouldn't that be the point of carrying a gun in the first place--that it's loaded and easy to reach?

    I kinda like the idea of attaching a holster to your seatbelt or mounting it between the center console and your seat...

  8. #8
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    Yep, that would be the point. However, that said i would rather not give a LEO anymore of a reason to be an @ss to me than they normally are, let alone take me to jail.

    It really seems like a bad bad situation if pulled over and a LEO sees the gun laying on seat next to me. I have grown up around a few cops and I know that if they pulled someone over and saw a gun in the open they would most like drag the driver out of the car via his hair.

  9. #9
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    The gun can be on the seat next to you, on the dash, in an open carry style holster on your belt, etc.

    Concealed would be under your coat, in the glove compartment, in a briefcase, etc.

    These are just some examples and are not all inclusive.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  10. #10
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    The gun can be on the seat next to you, on the dash, in an open carry style holster on your belt, etc.

    Concealed would be under your coat, in the glove compartment, in a briefcase, etc.

    These are just some examples and are not all inclusive.
    My memory isn't the best in the world. but wasn't there a guy who posted recently about getting a ticket or maybe he ended up going to jail over him carrying the gun on his belt while driving?

    I am not trying to be difficult about about this. I am just trying to figure out how best to do an open carry and still have the gun in the car. I want to start doing more open carry but at the same time I don't want to call the wife and tell her that I need bail money.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    Post imported post

    I OC at the rest areas on I-95 in Virginia without a problem. (No OC problems, but wife with small bladder = stop at every rest area problem)
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  12. #12
    Regular Member Bubba Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, , USA
    Posts
    883

    Post imported post

    crazydude6030 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    The gun can be on the seat next to you, on the dash, in an open carry style holster on your belt, etc.

    Concealed would be under your coat, in the glove compartment, in a briefcase, etc.

    These are just some examples and are not all inclusive.
    My memory isn't the best in the world. but wasn't there a guy who posted recently about getting a ticket or maybe he ended up going to jail over him carrying the gun on his belt while driving?

    I am not trying to be difficult about about this. I am just trying to figure out how best to do an open carry and still have the gun in the car. I want to start doing more open carry but at the same time I don't want to call the wife and tell her that I need bail money.
    I doubt that was in Virginia....

  13. #13
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    Bubba Ron wrote:
    crazydude6030 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    The gun can be on the seat next to you, on the dash, in an open carry style holster on your belt, etc.

    Concealed would be under your coat, in the glove compartment, in a briefcase, etc.

    These are just some examples and are not all inclusive.
    My memory isn't the best in the world. but wasn't there a guy who posted recently about getting a ticket or maybe he ended up going to jail over him carrying the gun on his belt while driving?

    I am not trying to be difficult about about this. I am just trying to figure out how best to do an open carry and still have the gun in the car. I want to start doing more open carry but at the same time I don't want to call the wife and tell her that I need bail money.
    I doubt that was in Virginia....
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/20874.html

    Sounded to me like he was carrying the gun on his hip.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Bubba Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, , USA
    Posts
    883

    Post imported post

    crazydude6030 wrote:
    Bubba Ron wrote:
    crazydude6030 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    The gun can be on the seat next to you, on the dash, in an open carry style holster on your belt, etc.

    Concealed would be under your coat, in the glove compartment, in a briefcase, etc.

    These are just some examples and are not all inclusive.
    My memory isn't the best in the world. but wasn't there a guy who posted recently about getting a ticket or maybe he ended up going to jail over him carrying the gun on his belt while driving?

    I am not trying to be difficult about about this. I am just trying to figure out how best to do an open carry and still have the gun in the car. I want to start doing more open carry but at the same time I don't want to call the wife and tell her that I need bail money.
    I doubt that was in Virginia....
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/20874.html

    Sounded to me like he was carrying the gun on his hip.
    Read the entire topic - most of the regulars (from Virginia)seem to believe the OP made it up or is a Troll. But believe what YOU want, I'll continue to leave my handgun in my OWB holster....

  15. #15
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    Bubba Ron wrote:
    crazydude6030 wrote:
    Bubba Ron wrote:
    crazydude6030 wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    The gun can be on the seat next to you, on the dash, in an open carry style holster on your belt, etc.

    Concealed would be under your coat, in the glove compartment, in a briefcase, etc.

    These are just some examples and are not all inclusive.
    My memory isn't the best in the world. but wasn't there a guy who posted recently about getting a ticket or maybe he ended up going to jail over him carrying the gun on his belt while driving?

    I am not trying to be difficult about about this. I am just trying to figure out how best to do an open carry and still have the gun in the car. I want to start doing more open carry but at the same time I don't want to call the wife and tell her that I need bail money.
    I doubt that was in Virginia....
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/20874.html

    Sounded to me like he was carrying the gun on his hip.
    Read the entire topic - most of the regulars (from Virginia)seem to believe the OP made it up or is a Troll. But believe what YOU want, I'll continue to leave my handgun in my OWB holster....
    Yeah i read that too, but seeing that i have no proof either way i tend to error on the side oc caution. Thats why I am posting these post. I am trying to find someone who has been pulled over doing an open carry or having the gun in plain sight.

    It would seem to me that leaving it in a holster would be best (and thats what I would prefer to do). that said I can see how it might be seen as a conceal carry.

  16. #16
    Regular Member razor_baghdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    CONUS ~for now~
    Posts
    279

    Post imported post

    crazydude6030 wrote:
    Bubba Ron wrote:
    Yeah i read that too, but seeing that i have no proof either way i tend to error on the side oc caution. Thats why I am posting these post. I am trying to find someone who has been pulled over doing an open carry or having the gun in plain sight.

    It would seem to me that leaving it in a holster would be best (and thats what I would prefer to do). that said I can see how it might be seen as a conceal carry.
    Keep in mind the post chasin nut-jobs here that have nothing to say but neg sh&t on this site and you do the 'Reciprocal' research for OC/CC up and down the 95 corridor....ie....Va is rec. for NC....to a point...

    It blows that in the corridor you may have to stop and DL your pistola and separate the ammo from state to state....more knowledgeable minds will I'm sure pipe in with an itinerary for stop-offs...which I'm fairly certain is what you were looking for w/o all the BS follow-onz......

    SA and demeanor go a long way....

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    As far as carrying in the car, I have a strap around my passenger's seat, and I just keep the holster on that while I drive.

    It's secure, and it's definitely visible.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    286

    Post imported post

    crazydude6030 wrote:
    Yep, that would be the point. However, that said i would rather not give a LEO anymore of a reason to be an @ss to me than they normally are, let alone take me to jail.

    It really seems like a bad bad situation if pulled over and a LEO sees the gun laying on seat next to me. I have grown up around a few cops and I know that if they pulled someone over and saw a gun in the open they would most like drag the driver out of the car via his hair.
    I've been pulled over multiple times with a gun on the front seat, never had an issue. You're thinking is completely against the concept of open carry. I can draw and present faster from a holster than from a seat, should I get dragged to the ground by my hair for walking down the sidewalk OCing?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    489

    Post imported post

    your traveling the entire distance of I95, if you come thru GA watch out for Glynn County PD exits 42-29 the GCPD will blow your F,n head off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S1rMA-K5WU

  20. #20
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Post imported post

    rmodel65 wrote:
    your traveling the entire distance of I95, if you come thru GA watch out for Glynn County PD exits 42-29 the GCPD will blow your F,n head off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S1rMA-K5WU
    Apparently Glenn County Police don't know Georgia is a no notify state, and theirofficers think Tylenol is a narcotic. Video good for false arrest charge.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUtQOR4SEdQ
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    489

    Post imported post

    yeah after the incident, the GCPD harassed my brother at walmart, got him fired from his new job and arrested him for carrying at the mall :P




  22. #22
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    kle wrote:
    crazydude6030 wrote:
    I did search and I have ready about 50 post about it. But its still not very clear to me what that is.

    See I am thinking sure i can velcro that to the dashboard (as one person joked in a post) but wouldn't that give a police officer a reason to drag me out of the car? I am thinking that having a gun in plain sight loaded and being able to easly reach it is just asking for it.
    Wouldn't that be the point of carrying a gun in the first place--that it's loaded and easy to reach?

    I kinda like the idea of attaching a holster to your seatbelt or mounting it between the center console and your seat...
    I was just thinking the other day how that would be a GREAT invention. It could be accomplished as easily as creating an adapter to a paddle holster. The only problem I found was I couldn't think of where would be a universally great place to mount it....

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the info folks. I meant that I have to travel the length of it in VA. The only stops I should be dealing with are the 1st rest area. My gas stop. and the Dumfries rest area so I can clear and store my 1911 before I get to MD.


    The bit about a velcro holster on the dash is actually a recommendation in NC. There are several benefits, although I haven't done it. Mainly, there's no doubt the gun is in plain sight, there's no chance of it slipping under the seat or getting covered by other stuff. I tend to collect junk on my passenger seat when travelling, but so far there's been no problem that I have noticed.


    I haven't lived in GA in a few years, but I understand that things are different in Glynn County. I mean I've heard of guys getting hit in one of their fire academies. I can only imagine what they do in the police academy.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    Any advice on driving from Hampton to Athens, GA? I'll be transporting an AR and ammunition, can anyone foresee any problems?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    489

    Post imported post

    just be careful in athens if your gonna carry a gun with you. its a college town and a lot of buildings can be off limits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •