• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I-95

DonSmithnotTMD

imported post

I have to travel the whole length of it, and just wondering if there are any outstanding OC problems. I have to stop at the pilot south of king's Dominion and might have to hit a few rest areas.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

None of which I am aware.

You probably already realize this next, but I'll toss it in just in case.

Someof the negative OC encounters reported happened in areas where the cops were thought to know better. Even here in Fairfax County, where the police have supposedly been pacified in a manner of speaking.

So, we still haven't quite reached the point where one can assume it is safe from police to OC. There is always still that chance you can run into one of that small percentage of cops who personally disagree and are willing to push things just for some harassment value.

hsmith

imported post

The staties which patrol the highways and rest stops are (typically) better informed, you shouldn't really have any issues as Citizen said.

crazydude6030

imported post

Just wondering. This seems to be somewhat of a grey area. But how does one open carry in their car? I am taking a rather long trip in a few weeks (going across the state) and I would like to open carry until i leave the state.

How can I carry without fear of going to jail if pulled over or seen getting out of my car?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
Just wondering. This seems to be somewhat of a grey area. But how does one open carry in their car? I am taking a rather long trip in a few weeks (going across the state) and I would like to open carry until i leave the state.

How can I carry without fear of going to jail if pulled over or seen getting out of my car?
Do a search on here - the topic's been covered many times. In Virginia, the gun must not be "hidden from common observation"

crazydude6030

imported post

I did search and I have ready about 50 post about it. But its still not very clear to me what that is.

See I am thinking sure i can velcro that to the dashboard (as one person joked in a post) but wouldn't that give a police officer a reason to drag me out of the car? I am thinking that having a gun in plain sight loaded and being able to easly reach it is just asking for it.

kle

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
I did search and I have ready about 50 post about it. But its still not very clear to me what that is.

See I am thinking sure i can velcro that to the dashboard (as one person joked in a post) but wouldn't that give a police officer a reason to drag me out of the car? I am thinking that having a gun in plain sight loaded and being able to easly reach it is just asking for it.
Wouldn't that be the point of carrying a gun in the first place--that it's loaded and easy to reach?

I kinda like the idea of attaching a holster to your seatbelt or mounting it between the center console and your seat...

crazydude6030

imported post

Yep, that would be the point. However, that said i would rather not give a LEO anymore of a reason to be an @ss to me than they normally are, let alone take me to jail.

It really seems like a bad bad situation if pulled over and a LEO sees the gun laying on seat next to me. I have grown up around a few cops and I know that if they pulled someone over and saw a gun in the open they would most like drag the driver out of the car via his hair.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

The gun can be on the seat next to you, on the dash, in an open carry style holster on your belt, etc.

Concealed would be under your coat, in the glove compartment, in a briefcase, etc.

These are just some examples and are not all inclusive.

crazydude6030

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
The gun can be on the seat next to you, on the dash, in an open carry style holster on your belt, etc.

Concealed would be under your coat, in the glove compartment, in a briefcase, etc.

My memory isn't the best in the world. but wasn't there a guy who posted recently about getting a ticket or maybe he ended up going to jail over him carrying the gun on his belt while driving?

I am not trying to be difficult about about this. I am just trying to figure out how best to do an open carry and still have the gun in the car. I want to start doing more open carry but at the same time I don't want to call the wife and tell her that I need bail money.

Bubba Ron

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

My memory isn't the best in the world. but wasn't there a guy who posted recently about getting a ticket or maybe he ended up going to jail over him carrying the gun on his belt while driving?

I am not trying to be difficult about about this. I am just trying to figure out how best to do an open carry and still have the gun in the car. I want to start doing more open carry but at the same time I don't want to call the wife and tell her that I need bail money.
I doubt that was in Virginia....

crazydude6030

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/20874.html

Sounded to me like he was carrying the gun on his hip.

Bubba Ron

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Read the entire topic - most of the regulars (from Virginia)seem to believe the OP made it up or is a Troll. But believe what YOU want, I'll continue to leave my handgun in my OWB holster....

crazydude6030

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Read the entire topic - most of the regulars (from Virginia)seem to believe the OP made it up or is a Troll. But believe what YOU want, I'll continue to leave my handgun in my OWB holster....
Yeah i read that too, but seeing that i have no proof either way i tend to error on the side oc caution. Thats why I am posting these post. I am trying to find someone who has been pulled over doing an open carry or having the gun in plain sight.

It would seem to me that leaving it in a holster would be best (and thats what I would prefer to do). that said I can see how it might be seen as a conceal carry.

razor_baghdad

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
Yeah i read that too, but seeing that i have no proof either way i tend to error on the side oc caution. Thats why I am posting these post. I am trying to find someone who has been pulled over doing an open carry or having the gun in plain sight.

It would seem to me that leaving it in a holster would be best (and thats what I would prefer to do). that said I can see how it might be seen as a conceal carry.

Keep in mind the post chasin nut-jobs here that have nothing to say but neg sh&t on this site and you do the 'Reciprocal' research for OC/CC up and down the 95 corridor....ie....Va is rec. for NC....to a point...

It blows that in the corridor you may have to stop and DL your pistola and separate the ammo from state to state....more knowledgeable minds will I'm sure pipe in with an itinerary for stop-offs...which I'm fairly certain is what you were looking for w/o all the BS follow-onz......

SA and demeanor go a long way....

AbNo

imported post

As far as carrying in the car, I have a strap around my passenger's seat, and I just keep the holster on that while I drive.

It's secure, and it's definitely visible. :)

leprechaun117

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
Yep, that would be the point. However, that said i would rather not give a LEO anymore of a reason to be an @ss to me than they normally are, let alone take me to jail.

It really seems like a bad bad situation if pulled over and a LEO sees the gun laying on seat next to me. I have grown up around a few cops and I know that if they pulled someone over and saw a gun in the open they would most like drag the driver out of the car via his hair.

I've been pulled over multiple times with a gun on the front seat, never had an issue. You're thinking is completely against the concept of open carry. I can draw and present faster from a holster than from a seat, should I get dragged to the ground by my hair for walking down the sidewalk OCing?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member