Thread: Legislators to push for concealed weapon law

Post imported post

http://www.bnd.com/polls/story/649918.html

Link Edited

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- Several members of the General Assembly say they will again try to pass legislation allowing Illinois residents to carry concealed weapons.

The legislators say the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling last summer overturning a handgun ban in Washington D.C. and an endorsement of concealed carry by the Illinois Sheriffs' Association gives a boost to their efforts.

Republican state Rep. Bill Mitchell says he wants concealed weapons legislation to finally get a hearing in the House.

Supporters of such legislation say the bill would allow citizens to get permits to carry concealed firearms, but only after gun owners complete an extensive application process, including training courses in handgun use, safety and marksmanship.

Democratic Rep. Frank Mautino of Spring Valley said Monday he is doubtful legislation will go very far in the Legislature.

Post imported post

Voted 'yes' for the poll in that link and it looks like 97% of the other people who voted also agree that Illinois residents should be able to carry concealed.

Too bad this isn't a democracy where the political officials actually listen and represent the wants and needs of the people...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

As a former inhabitant, I agree you should have the right. Doesn't matter that I did it regardless of law while i lived there. Got to keep the family safe ya know. Hope it works out for all my IL brothers.

Post imported post

I live right next door to Illinois, in fact the only city in Indiana that borders Chicago on the north, and Calumet City and Lansing on the west. I have both friends and family living in Illinois. So this news is important to me but doesn't directly affect me unless Illinois develops a reciprocity agreement with Indiana (quite possible if this is passed).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this legislation IS passed! While I can only "cheer from the sidelines", I did vote "Yes" in the posted poll!

We'll see how it all turns out, but it IS (so far) good news for the good and decent people in Illinois!

Keep working at it, Illinoians!

Post imported post

Any updates?

I travel to Illinois on occasion and would be very happy to be able to carry while there. Chicago is one of the few places I travel that I really feel like I NEED to carry.